• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Is the tag probable cause for a search of the vehicle?

No. Maryland has issued NRA tags for years without issue.

While stickers, organizational tags, license plate frames, clothing related to firearms, etc all infer firearms, non of that comes close to rising to the level of probable cause needed for a search.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    While stickers, organizational tags, license plate frames, clothing related to firearms, etc all infer firearms, non of that comes close to rising to the level of probable cause needed for a search.

Mind blow time...police do not need probable cause to conduct a limited search of a person.

Just reasonable articulable suspicion which the courts have ruled is less then probable cause.

None the less a T-Shirt, a license plate or a sticker by it self is not very likely to meet that standard. I think the courts would certainly hold the fact in consideration along with other information to uphold a RAS "pat down". But standing alone likely not.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Mind blow time...police do not need probable cause to conduct a limited search of a person.

Just reasonable articulable suspicion which the courts have ruled is less then probable cause.

None the less a T-Shirt, a license plate or a sticker by it self is not very likely to meet that standard. I think the courts would certainly hold the fact in consideration along with other information to uphold a RAS "pat down". But standing alone likely not.

Terry stops, yeah. Very different from vehicle stops.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Terry stops, yeah. Very different from vehicle stops.

Police do not need probable cause for a vehicle stop either....just RAS again.

I realize it's semantics...but when you are trying to define complex legal issues it's important to use the proper terminology and to have an understanding of the differences.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Police do not need probable cause for a vehicle stop either....just RAS again.

I realize it's semantics...but when you are trying to define complex legal issues it's important to use the proper terminology and to have an understanding of the differences.

I'm well aware the police don't need probable cause to stop. But in this thread, dealing with license plates, implies a vehicle stop. Whatever the reason for the stop, they're going to need probable cause or consent to search, absent other criteria that satisfies Terry. The things I first mentioned, even collectively, don't make probable cause for a search. They also don't satisfy Terry for a limited search.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm well aware the police don't need probable cause to stop. But in this thread, dealing with license plates, implies a vehicle stop. Whatever the reason for the stop, they're going to need probable cause or consent to search, absent other criteria that satisfies Terry. The things I first mentioned, even collectively, don't make probable cause for a search. They also don't satisfy Terry for a limited search.

I'll concur with that post but that mimics my post which stated alone it does not meet the requirement.

You went on to post PC where RAS was needed. I'm sure you know the difference but the common reader here likely doesn't so it's important that the right terms are used...or at least I think it is.

The answer is rather simple.....this lisc. plate a lone is not likely to meet a RAS or PC standard for a detention or search.

I can come up with a few situations where it could play a part in PC and RAS but they are very unlikely.

I've seen Terry Stops extend to occupied vehicles and I believe there is case law supporting it. So in theory RAS via a "Terry Frisk" could lead to a passenger compartment being "frisked".

Jacqueline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Mar 1, 2013
    MSI Plates for motorcycles--- Pls add my name to the list. Thanks

We have over 50 plates for cars but only 8 so far for motorcycles. I will keep a record of everyone that wants motorcycles and once we hit 25 I will contact everyone and confirm there is still interest.

I've also added an email address to the OP as another way to contact me: licenseplates@marylandshallissue.org :)

Will you please add my name to the list of folks interested in MSI Plates for motorcycles.

Thank you,

Jacqueline

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    If people are interested in these please send me a pm or an email per the op. I don't see this thread very often.

We are still in the process. And the MVA had a breakdown of the plate machine and no plates were being made for a couple months. They are super backlogged now. I run the plates for another org and people have been told to wait with no expectation of when their plates will be sent out. So keep hanging in there, this is still very much in the works.

These plates can not be handicap.

Thanks again for everyone's patience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom