• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    No that just shows them that you have been caught, I'm sure there a lot of people who break laws who are never caught, all this is is kinda like strong-arming someone.

And don't you think they don't know that just like you know that. But after having said what you stated, What do you think the MSP think about someone that does get caught all of the time?

Do you think the MSP think that this person is just unlucky and (say they had 3 speeding tickets) they are thinking;

"This poor unlucky person, they got caught speeding the only three times they ever broke the speed laws".

Or do you think the MSP are thinking;

"This person has such a disregard for the state laws they are speeding/disregarding the law often enough to get caught".

I know the guys here will not like this but please don't kill the messenger. When any investigator is trying to form a picture of who you are, your DL is one part of the puzzle they use as they build the big picture.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Do you happen to know why the trooper said deadline of 4/19?
    Interesting in that it coincides with the court deadline.

Can someone tell me if we have done due diligence, had a phone interview, apparently "beat" the 3/20 deadline....and have heard nothing since....are the licenses "in the works"? :party29:

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Seems a little strange to me, I got my background letter a long while ago now, and the msp called me like 2 weeks ago about my buddys application and he sent his in like 4 days after I did. I still have not gotten any calls and neither have my references. Meanwhile, that friend of mine has already had his in person interview and all now! What the Hell gives!?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Don't forget, you DL number is also used to pull up all regulated firearm purchases that take place while you've lived in Maryland.

Any officer can call in and get that info...

Investigators also look at credit ratings when forming the picture of who you are. Not saying they are doing that here. But Working for the Army over the years as well as applying for different jobs within the gov, I had my credit rating checked a few times. And they told me they planed to check it along with my DL record.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Shows me if someone is smart enough or wealthy enough to get a lawyer.

I have a clean record, ahehehe. :rolleyes: ;)

I'm actually going to have my record expundged now that it properly reflects the outcome.

Originally, I was being misreported as convicted, and of the wrong charges. It's all been cleaned up, but it's a PITA and have to say "yes, I've been arrested, no, I wasn't convicted... etc..."

GB

Last edited:

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Investigators also look at credit ratings when forming the picture of who you are. Not saying they are doing that here. But Working for the Army over the years as well as applying for different jobs within the gov, I had my credit rating checked a few times. And they told me they planed to check it along with my DL record.

Yeah, I get those notifications with someone has checked my credit all the time. Pretty typical. Interesting that the State Government has tried that...

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm actually going to have my record expundged now that it properly reflects the outcome.

Originally, I was being misreported as convicted, and of the wrong charges. It's all been cleaned up, but it's a PITA and have to say "yes, I've been arrested, no, I wasn't convicted... etc..."

GB

Question;

When you get your DL expunged, does that remove your record completely or just to the public eye where LEO can still see what's up with you?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Seems a little strange to me, I got my background letter a long while ago now, and the msp called me like 2 weeks ago about my buddys application and he sent his in like 4 days after I did. I still have not gotten any calls and neither have my references. Meanwhile, that friend of mine has already had his in person interview and all now! What the Hell gives!?

A friend of mine is a LEO in AA county. He has been on workman's comp sick leave for the last 6 weeks because he was hurt during an arrest.

These guys also get reassigned often if they need to fill the shoes of a different trooper that may be either on training or sick or whatever. If your app was in the hands of a trooper that went on vacation for a week or two or reassigned for 3 weeks, he may not start working on his pile of app's until he comes back.

I'm not a LEO but where I work by boss will bring a stake of project that have become hot for whatever reason and tells me to drop what I'm doing to work on them.

Two days latter before I really had a chance to get into the new work, here he comes again with something else that just became important so everything else gets placed on hold.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Question;

When you get your DL expunged, does that remove your record completely or just to the public eye where LEO can still see what's up with you?

I'm talking about criminal history... not speeding tickets.

I suppose you could try for the speeding stuff, but that's not the same...

Mr H

Banana'd
    A friend of mine is a LEO in AA county. He has been on workman's comp sick leave for the last 6 weeks because he was hurt during an arrest.

These guys also get reassigned often if they need to fill the shoes of a different trooper that may be either on training or sick or whatever. If your app was in the hands of a trooper that went on vacation for a week or two or reassigned for 3 weeks, he may not start working on his pile of app's until he comes back.

From my interview yesterday, the trooperette indicated that there are 4 officers assigned to do the application interviews at "P", and each of them has a stack at least 30 deep to wade through.

My money is still on "luck of the draw" at this point.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Originally Posted by hodgepodge
    App sent 3/16, check cashed 3/22.

No phone calls yet.

Semi-patiently waiting.

Interview in GB tomorrow.

Interview in GB tomorrow.

References were called before the interview. The actual interview was quick. "What is the purpose?" "Personal protection"
    Trooper verified my responses to the arrest/conviction/mental illness questions and obtained my wife's contact information.

No queries on knowledge of the law, experience, etc. Also no discussion of the process.

I guess my permit is in the mail. :innocent0

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    References were called before the interview. The actual interview was quick. "What is the purpose?" "Personal protection"
    Trooper verified my responses to the arrest/conviction/mental illness questions and obtained my wife's contact information.

No queries on knowledge of the law, experience, etc. Also no discussion of the process.

I guess my permit is in the mail. :innocent0

I like your last line, I've got my fingers crossed for you, but I won't hold my breath.:lol2:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Interviewed today by MSP Sgt. Took a little over 10 minutes.
    References, wife and supervisor at work had been interviewed over the phone over the last couple of weeks.

Application submitted 3/08/2012
    Received Clean MD Background check 3/21/2012
    Check Cashed by MSP 3/12/2012, #81113 written on check
    April 3rd – References were called, inteviewed
    April 4th – wife was called, interviewed
    April 13th - supervisor was called, interviewed
    April 19th - Interviewed at Easton Barracks:

He verified my answers on application including an explanation of what a criminal summons is to ensure understanding.

He reviewed (didn't question me) the Maryland gun laws.

Asked which States I had lived in.

How long have my wife and I been married and any domestic violence.

Asked why I wanted a handgun permit.

He asked what kind of training did I have for firearms.

What handgun would I carry and how would it be stored at home.

Any medical conditions and what medicine.

Asked if I had a Facebook or MySpace page.

Frequency of alcoholic beverage consumption.

He reiterated that he does not make the decision and will forward his findings to the next level.

Overall, an informal and relaxed interview conducted by a personable and professional Maryland State Trooper.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    References, wife and supervisor at work had been interviewed over the phone over the last couple of weeks.

He verified my answers on application including an explanation of what a criminal summons is to ensure understanding.

He reiterated that he does not make the decision and will forward his findings to the next level.

Overall, an informal and relaxed interview conducted by a personable and professional Maryland State Trooper.

I have to laugh when I hear how the troopers claim they do not play a part in the decision. They are putting together the investigation report all about the applicant. The report is what the people/troopers that do make the final decisions are going to base their decision on.

Part of the report could say the following;

"During my face to face meeting today with Mr. X, the applicant presented them self in a very disrespectful manner and showed an open hostility to authority. Due to the way Mr. X was acting he possible could have been draining before the interview.

Also Mr. X displayed a strange level of nervousness as he continued to look around the interview room as if Mr. X could see things flying around the room that I could not see. It seemed to be very difficult for Mr. X to stay focused on any of the questions I was asking him during the entire interview.

The applicant when questioned seemed to very evasive and not sure about 60% of the the information he put on his own application. When presented with new facts that were not reported on his application that I learned after talking to the applicants references, as far as the states lived in that were not listed, other jobs not mentioned, and issues with depression when in his 20's, Mr. X seemed to remember all of this information but not until I brought it up.

After talking to the applicants about his reason for wanting the ccw Mr. X failed to show G&S to the MSP standards of "We know it when we see it".

In conclusion, The applicant does not meet the requirements and standards as well as left me with a feeling that he was less the honest in general. And after considering all of the information before me I do not recommend the approval board to approve this ccw at this time."

Or something like that. Sure they are not the one's that sign off in the end. But the people that do sign off go by what the trooper puts in their investigation report.

Now right before they write this report they just told you about how they have nothing to do with the approval.

OR...

The report could read like this;

"After meeting with Mr. X he seems like a very well adjusted person that seems to be a very responsible and well thought out. Mr. X was very respectful and seem to take an active interest in following the letter of the law. After reviewing Mr. X's clean driving record it appears that Mr. X always approaches things in a safe manner.

All of Mr. X's references seem to be very responsible, well respected members of the community and they all spoke very highly of Mr. X and they all claim that Mr. X is one of the most responsible people they know and they would never have any problem with Mr. X having the responsibility of a ccw.

Each and everything on Mr. X's application checks out complete as written. After talking to Mr. X about the reason he would like to have a ccw his reason was weak for MSP standards. But Mr. X did explain how it would be much safer for him and his family due to the location (bad neighborhood or out in the sticks where the police take forever to get to anywhere).

In conclusion of my investigation I find Mr. X is a trusted member of our community that can be trusted with a ccw."

And like the report above, the trooper told this Mr. X he did not have any bearing on the outcome of the application.

Now do you think it's true these troopers have NOTHING to do with the out come?

Now I know my writing ability is poor but I think you can get my point that no matter what they tell you they do play a part in the end. They may not sign on the dotted line, but the one who does gets all of their info from the investigating troopers.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Not at all! It's just what he said, at least twice. :)

Reading back what I read sounds like I was trying to be smart with you. That was not my intentions at all. I'm completely on your side. I'm sure all of the troopers that are doing the investigations are very nice friendly guys and gals. They have a job to do and any job is always easier if people are getting along. But also when taking to LEO's they know you are less guarded if everyone has smiles on their faceses.

Part of the (keeping everything friendly) they try to imply they have nothing to do with nothing and that is simply not true. If they report bad stuff about you, guess what, you got it.

I know your a smart guy and I wasn't trying to imply you believe everything he told you. I was just trying to get people to read between the lines.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Reading back what I read sounds like I was trying to be smart with you. That was not my intentions at all. I'm completely on your side. I'm sure all of the troopers that are doing the investigations are very nice friendly guys and gals. They have a job to do and any job is always easier if people are getting along. But also when taking to LEO's they know you are less guarded if everyone has smiles on their faceses.

Part of the (keeping everything friendly) they try to imply they have nothing to do with nothing and that is simply not true. If they report bad stuff about you, guess what, you got it.

I know your a smart guy and I wasn't trying to imply you believe everything he told you. I was just trying to get people to read between the lines.

Didn't take your observations at all as anything but helpful ---- I thought it was interesting that he had to interject his seemingly "it really won't be my fault if it gets denied" comments more than once. And you are spot on --- a skilled interviewer can illicit a great deal of information from the source without the source even knowing how much they provided!

At any rate, the Sgt. seemed to merely be going through the required motions of conducting an interview for a handgun permit.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi

Asked if I had a Facebook or MySpace page.

And three hours later my facebook page is as clean as the freshly fallen snow. Only after that do I realize that 1) my profile is 'private' and searching for me does not result in me and 2) the James Mangle that shows up looks like Shaggy from Scooby Doo -- so yeah, ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom