"Two to the chest, one to the head" Really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    BTW, you are partially right with regards to who sets the standards...agencies and jurisdictions do tend to set their own standards (Secret Service does train and qualify once a month with each weapon (pistol, shotgun, subgun). However, the twice a year thing came from a supreme court precedent for a minimum universal standard for law enforcement. Again, can't remember the precedent, so any help is appreciated.

I am pretty sure the USSS qualifies quarterly (4x a year), not monthly.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Parctical application

As former active duty Marine, I was selected and served with the Fleet Anti-terrorist Security Team or FAST company. We trained extensively with everything from M9s, Mp5 sub guns(suppressed and not), Mossberg 12gauges, M16a2 (with M203), and scoped M1a and M40A1 rifles. We also trained on heavy weapons of every kind. One platoon = one company of any regular marine unit as far as firepower is concerned. As far as "two to the chest one to the head" is concerned, that was "our failure to stop" drill and a monthly training exercise that we did it to the point of muscle memory at ranges from 15 meters to 5 feet where we would clear the thigh rig and rotate the gun toward the target and more or less hip shoot one handed. Not everyone got it down to muscle memory but then again not everyone was CQB qualified either. Two to the chest one to the head is a low percentage situation in traffic stop scenarios but when dealing with terrorists the rules of engagement are different and wounding is not really an option.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know it is part of my work scenario and we train it on the range. Depending on a persons position, it has a place. As far as civilian training, I think it is a good drill to teach either a controlled pair or double tap with the head shot follow up. Or a "controlled triple" if you will :)

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    After taking your Tac-1 pistol at Freestate and participating in the force-on-force exercise...I laugh everytime I hear someone say "2 in the chest, 1 in the head." I have no formal training beyond that, therefore my reaction would be to point in the general direction and keep shooting until I'm either empty or dead.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I would like to see someone pull off a controlled pair with someone shooting at them.

This right here. Range exercises are cool, but what if the target is shooting back and running laterally to you? What if it's dark and the baddie is behind cover? What if you're on the ground with a sprained ankle and the bad guy is running up to you while shooting?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This right here. Range exercises are cool, but what if the target is shooting back and running laterally to you? What if it's dark and the baddie is behind cover? What if you're on the ground with a sprained ankle and the bad guy is running up to you while shooting?

Time and place for everything. Question is..... what will he do when I am coming towards him closing the gap, shortening the distance, disrupting his loop, because there is no cover.

This can be what if'd all day long. Empty all your mags into a threat? That's fine if that's your thing. Some people don't train for years emptying full mags. I am not wasting all my ammo on one thug and leaving myself defenseless against maybe other threats.
    You take your center mass shots. They bend over ( and not fall back like in the movies) and you are presented with the top of a head. That is a head shot. " one to the head" doesn't always mean the face.

The first and biggest hurdle is whether a person would react and do any shooting in the first place. Let's get past that step first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom