What with the MD Assault Weapons ban do to NFA weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    FWIW, Bill or no bill it is already illegal to transport a class III item out of the state it is registered in without informing the BATF.

If you have to do this regularly you just do the paperwork with the pretext that the allotted time period of interstate transport should be long as in the course of several months, that way you limit the amount of paperwork and extend the time period you can legally transport the class III item.

What the bill covers is future transport interstate of the rifles up for ban as once you take it out of state, it is illlegal to bring them back, even it you registered them and grandfathered them. What I don't understand is that if you currently reside out of state, and move to maryland (although if you are a gun person I don't see why you would want to) you have 30 days to register the rifle, what is to prevent someone not registering the rifle by the deadline, then saying they just moved to the state later.....I don't know, I just wish this stupid shit would just go away altogether at this point.

Chris Rummel

I thought transport was ok now whether in state or interstate

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I thought transport was ok now whether in state or interstate

ATF governs interstate transit of NFA firearms. If you want to travel with your SBR or other and cross state lines you need to submit a request/notification to the ATF that you are doing so and for what reasons.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    ATF governs interstate transit of NFA firearms. If you want to travel with your SBR or other and cross state lines you need to submit a request/notification to the ATF that you are doing so and for what reasons.

Only for DD's, MG's, SBR's or SBS's. You don't need to get a 5320.20 approved for suppressors.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Only if it is in NFA configuration. If you put it back in non-NFA form temporarily (Put a 16"+ barrel on a sbr'd ar15) then you can travel freely without any additional atf approval.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Don't think so, the serial numbered part is the NFA item, does not matter what upper or no upper is on it, it is still an nfa item. Same if you took all the parts off a machine-gun, the receiver is still a machine gun subject to atf approval for out of state travel.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Don't think so, the serial numbered part is the NFA item, does not matter what upper or no upper is on it, it is still an nfa item. Same if you took all the parts off a machine-gun, the receiver is still a machine gun subject to atf approval for out of state travel.
    The ATF has made it fairly clear recently that, registered or no, you only treat it like an SBR when it's actually an SBR. Yes, that means the previous whining about how it needs to be engraved before the form comes back is basically completely wrong.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Please familiarize yourself with the NFA handbook before you give out any more inaccurate info.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    So, is there a link to the current bill as it stands (amended and all)?

I was thinking of getting one more suppressor and one more pistol with threaded barrel.

I go to W. Va to shoot from time to time. So now I would not be able to take my MG, Suppressed pistols, and SBR there and com back to MD?

Dave

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So, is there a link to the current bill as it stands (amended and all)?

I was thinking of getting one more suppressor and one more pistol with threaded barrel.

I go to W. Va to shoot from time to time. So now I would not be able to take my MG, Suppressed pistols, and SBR there and com back to MD?

Dave
    Suppressor and pretty much all pistols are not touched in the new law. MG and SBRs don't appear to be either. No reason not to bring them back to MD if you want to...

I think a lot of people are going off stuff they heard when the bill was first past. Its very different than what is finally ended up looking like.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

That's funny because when I take my RLL out of my AR 15 receiver, it's no longer a machine gun.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks!

Dave

Any questions, let me know, I (unfortunately) have read all 4 versions of this bill from the beginning. I was fortunate to be permitted to and asked to volunteer to help in Delegate Smigel's office for the last week of the session to work against the bill.

I will try to answer any questions or point anyone to the proper thread up in the Maryland 2A section.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    Suppressor and pretty much all pistols are not touched in the new law. MG and SBRs don't appear to be either. No reason not to bring them back to MD if you want to...

I think a lot of people are going off stuff they heard when the bill was first past. Its very different than what is finally ended up looking like.

We don't really know what the disposition of SBR's is yet, do we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom