• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Baltimore County Game & Fish will be giving an NRA Basic Pistol Course on April 19th from 8am- approx 4pm.

Continental breakfast, refreshment, ammunition and firearms are provided for this course.

Cost is 75.00 for non BCGF members and 55.00 for members. There is a non-refundable deposit due to secure your seat in the class.

Please PM me for registration and deposit information if interested.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Would this class satisfy the training requirement of an HQL?

No.

NRA has forbidden NRA instructors to provide MD HQL training ... because MD HQL training requires instruction in MD law ... and NRA instructors are not (at least for the most part) lawyers.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought they just could not use nra logos etc

Sent from my Samsung Phone using Tapatalk

Right, they can't do it as NRA instructors ... they can still do it as private citizens

NRA instruction was not put on the exemption list like hunter safety training; that's probably more to the question inpursuit asked

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    No.

NRA has forbidden NRA instructors to provide MD HQL training ... because MD HQL training requires instruction in MD law ... and NRA instructors are not (at least for the most part) lawyers.

That would be an absolutely untrue statement.

First, the NRA has not forbidden NRA instructors from providing HQL training.

Second, there is no requirement in the law that says the HQL instructor must be a lawyer.

An NRA certified pistol instructor can receive his QHIC from Maryland as part of the requirement from Maryland is that you be an instructor by a nationally recognized body like the NRA. Once you receive your QHIC you are free to conduct HQL certification.

What the NRA states is that we can not deviate from their curriculum nor infuse any other type of instruction into theirs. We can however offer an NRA class that satisfies some or most of the requirements of Maryland, end that class and continue with instruction that fulfills the Maryland requirements. It must be clear to all that the NRA class is over prior to going on to any other subject matter.

I hope that answers the question about the HQL and I hope that helps clarify the bad information you received about what an NRA instructor can and can not do.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    That would be an absolutely untrue statement.

First, the NRA has not forbidden NRA instructors from providing HQL training.

Second, there is no requirement in the law that says the HQL instructor must be a lawyer.

An NRA certified pistol instructor can receive his QHIC from Maryland as part of the requirement from Maryland is that you be an instructor by a nationally recognized body like the NRA. Once you receive your QHIC you are free to conduct HQL certification.

What the NRA states is that we can not deviate from their curriculum nor infuse any other type of instruction into theirs. We can however offer an NRA class that satisfies some or most of the requirements of Maryland, end that class and continue with instruction that fulfills the Maryland requirements. It must be clear to all that the NRA class is over prior to going on to any other subject matter.

I hope that answers the question about the HQL and I hope that helps clarify the bad information you received about what an NRA instructor can and can not do.

^^^Exactly this.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    How did it go?

It went very well! We had a full class and just under half were females. Ages ranged from 20-65 and from experienced to never shot or even held a gun before.

Thanks for asking! We're gonna have to try and plan that class I was telling you about for late summer, getting ready to get the shoulder rebuilt next week. I'll shout at you when I know more and I'll try to give you plenty of notice.

I am also trying to get the guy who actually perfected and basically invented appendix carry that all the uber high speed guys like Costa are using now. Raven concealment even made the first appendix carry holster for this guy. I had him lined up for the concealed carry day but the shoulder couldn't wait. I've known him for years but he is very busy so we'll have to kinda try and plan around his schedule.

He is quite the close quarters/hands on guru, you'll like him a lot and you should be able to pick his brain a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom