• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Fellow Garand Owners et. al.-

My mother stumbled onto some Ammunition that a family member had squirreled away some time ago. The Ammo seems to be in beautiful condition. I am curious if anyone can advise me if its safe for my M1 Garand since its 30.06 Ball. I have provided pictures. The head-stamp is F N 58. Your thoughts are appreciated ole wise ones..

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
      photo 1.jpg
      31.6 KB · Views: 227
    • photo (3.jpg
      photo (3.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 226
    • photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      14.4 KB · Views: 240

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like it's probably for an '03 Springfield to me.

I wouldn't risk it, unless someone can with absolute certainty say it's safe for the Garand.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Looks like it's probably for an '03 Springfield to me.

I wouldn't risk it, unless someone can with absolute certainty say it's safe for the Garand.

Aside from being on 5 round stripper clips, why would 1956 Fabrique Nationale (Belgian) be safe in an '03 and not in a Garand?
    No...wait, I can safely dispose it for you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Aside from being on 5 round stripper clips, why would Fabrique Nationale (Belgian) be safe in an '03 and not in a Garand?

IIRC, FM2 Ball was a distinct loading specifically for the Garand as to not beat up the internals of the gun, being it's a gas-operated rifle.

'03 Ball ammo is loaded hotter and can do damage to the internals of a Garand.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I have been shooting for

+50 years and the only caution I know of is using modern fast burning ammo or reloading same with fast burning powder. Harms the oprod and so on. Just "Google" the info and don't rely on "experts" on this forum. Search is ur friend.! :innocent0

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It should be fine to shoot. I would probably hold onto it though as the bandoleer should match the ammo. Nice piece of history.

As for the M1 the whole reason its an 06 was all the rounds left over after WWI.

Buy some HXP and stash that away.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Is it corrosive?
    I learned something too.

FN used corrosive primers until 1958.
    Commercial ammo not specifically designed for the M1 should not be used unless you have an adjustable gas port.
    CMP recently (January) sold FN 55/56 API as M2 ball
    One guy bought this ammo years ago for $7/100
    Over the years a lot of people have shot FN ammo and their garands on the CMP forum without problems.

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Thanks folks...everyone's opinions, concerns, guidance and recommendations on this subject have been appreciated. I have performed a fair amount of research and this group was part of it...

End of the Story: No reason to shoot it now so it will be tucked away as a nice collectors piece (STU929 GREAT GUIDANCE) :-) or as my FPL (Final Protective Line). I DO NOT have any concerns shooting the ammunition NOW :-) but that being said I wills scour the CMP site and other sites for more relevant ammunition before its all gone..

The good thing is a I have an ammo can full of this stuff..in great shape and with matching bandoleers that are in pristine shape as well...

THANKS FOLKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom