what sort of training are you planning on taking in 2014?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I will start. I am currently signed up for 5 classes. There are others I would love to take this year, but five weekends away from my kids is pushing it.

I will begin my training year with Close Range Gunfighting (CRG2) with Suarez International in Hershey. Then Carbine I with Center Mass Combat Tactics in Harford/Cecil County (I think they are based in one county but their training range is in the other). Both of those are industry partners.

Class 3 for me will be the Essential Handgun Employment I with Sentinel Concepts (Steve Fisher, formerly of Magpul) in WV.

Then it will be back to Suarez with Force on Force (CRG4) in Hershey.

I will round out my training year with what should be awesome, Covert Carry with Mike Pannone of Alias Training & Security Services. That will be in Bethlehem, PA.

Last year I caught the training bug when I took 3 Suarez classes and then a fantastic trauma med class with Dark Angel Medical. This year I really wanted to focus on the handgun, and so 4/5 of the classes have that as their focus.

Any one else got the training bug? Share away...

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Those sound good, might try to take one of those. Do you have course descriptions?

The only training I'm planning to take soon is PPOTH, mostly because I'd like to someday help instruct it.

Last year I got the MD Certified Instructor License, but I don't consider that training.

Trying to assist a couple folks here, weather has been getting in the way with one project. If this pans out, there might be a great new training option available soon.

Would be great if we didn't have to drive to PA, WV, OH, VA for top tier training. What's the best we have here in MD?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Those sound good, might try to take one of those. Do you have course descriptions?

The only training I'm planning to take soon is PPOTH, mostly because I'd like to someday help instruct it.

Last year I got the MD Certified Instructor License, but I don't consider that training.

Trying to assist a couple folks here, weather has been getting in the way with one project. If this pans out, there might be a great new training option available soon.

Would be great if we didn't have to drive to PA, WV, OH, VA for top tier training. What's the best we have here in MD?

I will post links to the classes later when I am on my other device, though a google search of Suarez International, Sentinel Concepts, Center Mass Combat Tactics, and Alias Training and Security Services should get you to their sites and, once there, their descriptions. Class prices range from $300 for Center Mass to $525 for Alias.

Best commercial training actually here in MD? Not sure. I haven't taken any classes in MD yet, though Center Mass, who I will train with in April, is in Harford/Cecil Counties. They have some videos on their website that give some hints about what to expect. There are some other training outfits here in MD, and I don't want to slight anyone I haven't trained with, so I dont know whats useful and what isnt. Also, i am told that finding the trainer that works for YOU is like finding the firearm that works for you. Sometimes you have to sample a lot. By national reputation, Redback One (Jason Falla) often has classes in Thurmont at Engage Armament's place, and I hear great things about his classes. Travis Haley has also had classes there, though none scheduled for 2014.

I will post After Action Reports on each of the classes I take this year, so hopefully members here can make some informed choices about training to take in the future

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Outstanding, thanks.

Do you give much training yourself, considered putting something together; even informal/free?

I have taken several new shooters to the range and such (brother, Dad, wife, workmates), and while I am a teacher by trade, I have certainly not done any classes.

I can, at this point, recommend the Suarez classes taught by Gasman (member here) up in Hershey. He is doing 3 Level One classes this year. He is a solid instructor, particularly for someone just getting into training. He is not some ex Navy Seal yadda yadda guy, and doesn't pretend to be such. His classes are fun and laid back but still serious, and you can get a lot out of them.

There are many members here, industry partners and ex LEO/Mil guys, who do training, plus there are the NRA classes like Basic Pistol, home Defense, etc., offered at times by various partners.

I just kinda decided last year that I no longer wanted to be THAT GUY who has a beautiful gun (or ten) that cost a lot of $ but had no training. Each time now that I am tempted to buy some gun/sight/gizmo, I ask myself if that $ would be better spent on ammo and training. Especially now in MD that we can't buy certain things, I dumped some $ into those things last year so that this year I can spend $ training.

Others' mileage my vary, but at this point I am more concerned with the software than the hardware. I would rather be lights-out from concealment with a Glock 19 than have a beautiful, engraved, "Tier One" 1911 that I can't hit sh*t with.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    My plan is next month to talk the glock armorer class,
    then in June I'm doing the first of four law enforcement class one each month for four months from Strong Arms International. I'm also taking another tactical carbine class from them as well,

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hogarth,
    I agree with your well reasoned logic and intent. I've emailed gasman and will probably get together sometime. If you are interested in linking up and maybe swapping some pointers, let me know. My primary regular even this is basically what we do.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    My plan is next month to talk the glock armorer class,
    then in June I'm doing the first of four law enforcement class one each month for four months from Strong Arms International. I'm also taking another tactical carbine class from them as well,

An LEO friend of mine took the Glock armorers class and felt like it was definitely worth his time. Although, to be honest, he hasn't told me anything they did in the class that I didn't already know, at least in theory if not in practice.

I have not heard of Strong Arm. Do they only do LE training?

Good luck with it all!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know schedules are tough. Especially me for weekends, but I do get some off. Isn't delmarva holster draw friendly?
    I think between some of us we could put a bastard training class together one weekend day. I know this idea will get nowhere, but hell, I like the idea.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I know schedules are tough. Especially me for weekends, but I do get some off. Isn't delmarva holster draw friendly?
    I think between some of us we could put a bastard training class together one weekend day. I know this idea will get nowhere, but hell, I like the idea.

I hear ya. As I said in my OP, I already have 5 weekends tied up with training. Which means my wife will want 4 or 5 weekends to do stuff on her own. Then the stuff we do as a family......before you know it, no free weekends! Good idea, though.

You know, thinking about it, I wonder how many people who never owned a gun before ran out and bought one before Oct 1? I wouldn't mind helping some of these people out if I knew who they were and they didn't mind instruction from someone with no certifications behind my name. We would all benefit.

I like the group hypnosis thing. I will be in Annapolis on 3/4 to try to testify before the House for concealed carry. We shall see.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Thanks for the kind words, hogarth. I strongly feel that training is by far more important than obtaining that next gun to fill a perceived hole in your personal armory. Don't tell my boss, but it doesn't really matter to me if you train with me or one of the other IP's. My classes fill up just fine on their own somehow. Just get the training! But if you do decide to train with me, that's great, and I'll do my best to give you the best training experience I can. :bullhorn::gun2:

I'm always up for taking a beginner to the range and getting them up and running safely, and have done so for friends and co-workers many times. If we can get some guys together for an impromptu training session some time, I'm game. I have some steel targets we can use if all we can get is a field somewhere with an appropriate back stop. Work has been unbelievably busy lately, so I'm not on frequently, but PM's come directly to my email, so that's probably the best way to keep me in the loop.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    You are going to love Carbine I from Center Mass. I've been through many of their classes and those guys are top notch! I'll see you there in April.

I also went to Commonwealth Criminal Justice last month for the free class with Tom Perroni and it was great too. I plan on going back to Perroni's school but VA is a couple hours for me and Center Mass is 15 minutes.

I've looked at a couple classes at Suarez International last year but the schedules never worked out. I'm going to try harder to go this year. I'm in the same boat with family so taking a shooting weekend more than once per month is very difficult with kids sports etc. I started taking classes 2 years ago and I'm hooked too! I do plan to add some first aid type classes this year too. I'm lacking in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom