MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    AFAIK, the only laws the police are required to enforce are domestic abuse laws.

The rest are subject to discretion.

If I'm wrong a LEO will be along shortly to correct me.

The problem is the paper trail. Any auditor would have to turn a blind eye, when going through an FFL's book.

I do not think they will be that permissive. The evidence they need to arrest all parties is right there in front of them on a silver platter.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The problem is the paper trail. Any auditor would have to turn a blind eye, when going through an FFL's book.

I do not think they will be that permissive. The evidence they need to arrest all parties is right there in front of them on a silver platter.
    This^^

Just because MSP says they will not enforce the law right now, they can pass it along to the AG very easily as evidence.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Most FFL's seem to be on board with doing this. Are there any who are not honoring this?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    One thing is clear.

We do not trust our public servants. That is an utter travesty.

The fact that we are left to ponder what they might BE UP TO and how we may suffer as law abiding citizens with their constant change in direction and data share operations is out of control.

Mr H

Banana'd
    One thing is clear.

We do not trust our public servants. That is an utter travesty.

The fact that we are left to ponder what they might BE UP TO and how we may suffer as law abiding citizens with their constant change in direction and data share operations is out of control.

I have to correct you, my dear lady......

The travesty is that, despite overwhelming evidence that is being ignored, obfuscated, and outright denied, there are enough voters in Maryland that DO trust them, to make Maryland a miserable, festering cesspit.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I have to correct you, my dear lady......

The travesty is that, despite overwhelming evidence that is being ignored, obfuscated, and outright denied, there are enough voters in Maryland that DO trust them, to make Maryland a miserable cesspit.

Depends on what the definition of "WE" is. ;)

I meant the firearms community. Would that be an acceptable correction?

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    They've proven themselves not worthy of our trust. If you don't feel like Chuck at this point, you're not paying attention.

1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    They could come back on this later and use it to shut down any FFLs that released without a HQL. Maybe their plan is to eliminate as many shops as possible.

It's easier to shut down 10's of FFLs than 1000's of buyers and eliminate future sales.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Renting is not a problem if you don't leave the property.

The larger issue is "receive".

Black's Law Dictionary has the following definition for RECEIVE (and it is not redefined in the bill or in the Annotated Code of MD that I can locate):
    To take into possession and control; accept custody of; collect.

In order to receive a handgun, you must have the HQL.

The semantical hair splitting is a trap waiting to be sprung on the unwary. A Senator who wants to control that trap was an architect and expediter in its implementation.

Why do people today need to have a lawyer's business card in their wallet before exercising a Constitutional right?

This is not the country and way of life that I grew up in, or that my father fought in Normandy to preserve and protect. He made that clear.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Is it okay that I'm sadly glad I'm too broke to have bought another handgun this week?
    This makes my head hurt.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The semantical hair splitting is a trap waiting to be sprung on the unwary. A Senator who wants to control that trap was an architect and expediter in its implementation.

No Frosh. ;)

This is not the country and way of life that I grew up in, or that my father fought in Normandy to preserve and protect. He made that clear.

My heart is with you there. My head says things that are not fit for polite company.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Actually, I disagree. I believe fascism is on the extreme of the right wing side of the political spectrum. Maryland is anything but fascist if fascism is extreme right wing ideology.

Fascism can be and is left wing, too. I wrote a college term paper decades ago arguing that political ideology is actually a circle in some respects, not linear. One of my better efforts.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The State Police could be full of good intentions with this and 30 days from now the superintendent, who's job depends on Omalley's whim, gets a phone call and rescinds this and can print out a list of instant felons on his computer. Then the fun begins

rickabt

Jul 9, 2013
    Nottingham/Perry Hall
    Maybe....Just maybe...we are being a little too paranoid.
    While I agree it is clearly against the law as written, we cannot look at this through the tunnel vision of a single gun purchaser.
    With a backlog of around 50,000....assuming half are rifles which it will be legal to transfer (probably a high estimate).....That leaves 25000....If half of those are spooked and never pick up their gun or wait for their HGL, then that leaves at least 12000 who are going to pick up their guns and technically be in violation.
    I think that is a very conservative estimate....So probably around 20000 or more people could obtain handguns in the next few months in this "illegal" manner.
    Are they going to attempt to round them all up? I am sure that would play well in the press and the courts.
    Their motivation seems to be to try and make this go away as quietly as possible. "Move along, nothing to see here!"
    I don't believe they are setting any kind of trap....They are just trying to pull their nuts out of the fire.
    On the other hand, I can envision the gun-grabber uproar that will arise should some nut who happened to purchase prior to Oct. 1 and then took delivery without a HGL after Oct. 1 commit some horrible crime with it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maybe....Just maybe...we are being a little too paranoid.
    While I agree it is clearly against the law as written, we cannot look at this through the tunnel vision of a single gun purchaser.
    With a backlog of around 50,000....assuming half are rifles which it will be legal to transfer (probably a high estimate).....That leaves 25000....If half of those are spooked and never pick up their gun or wait for their HGL, then that leaves at least 12000 who are going to pick up their guns and technically be in violation.
    I think that is a very conservative estimate....So probably around 20000 or more people could obtain handguns in the next few months in this "illegal" manner.
    Are they going to attempt to round them all up? I am sure that would play well in the press and the courts.
    Their motivation seems to be to try and make this go away as quietly as possible. "Move along, nothing to see here!"
    I don't believe they are setting any kind of trap....They are just trying to pull their nuts out of the fire.
    On the other hand, I can envision the gun-grabber uproar that will arise should some nut who happened to purchase prior to Oct. 1 and then took delivery without a HGL after Oct. 1 commit some horrible crime with it.

Re-read this paragraph and then think about this: Isn't Frosh running for AG next year? What is the statute of limitations for violating this particular law>

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEE...

Re-read this paragraph and then think about this: Isn't Frosh running for AG next year? What is the statute of limitations for violating this particular law>

Misdemeanor, so one year and a day, IIRC. (IANAL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom