• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Wondering who to vote for Sheriff in Cecil County.
    Obviously looking for someone to KEEP the bad guys locked up & has a 2A friendly stance for us GOOD guys...

I know almost nothing about any of the candidates I see signs for & am hoping to hear your thoughts on who to vote for & also who to recomend to family & friends to vote for.

Thanks

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I think theyre all pretty much newbies to it, and should do an ok job. Im not expecting any groundbreaking stellar performances there. The real problem the the prosecutor and judges who constantly plea these turds down and wont lock em up.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    Slater is the right guy....Sutton the wrong guy.
    Janney is in there now, Janney supports Adams...who is so...so.

Who's on first...
    :party29:

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Slater and Sutton are both listed as Republican, and appear to be running on similar platforms. Sutton switched parties to the D side eight years ago to run against Janney, but has now switched back to his original (R) party affiliation since Janney is retiring.

Diesel-man, can you explain why one is a better choice than the other? I haven't followed the politics of either, so I don't know, but I'm sure you have a good reason why you said Slater would be the better choice.

As far as any Democrats that are in the running, there does not appear to be any strong candidates. It is, after all, Cecil County.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Dan Slater is the guy you want as our Sheriff. Long story short, a few years ago my livestock guardian dogs jumped the fence to chase after a predator, missing for 12 hours. So I call all the agencies (MSP/NRP/Sheriff/Shelter) in case someone comes across the dogs (my avatar is one of the 125 lbs Great Pyrenees). The only one to show up was Deputy Dan Slater not once to take the report but also a follow up visit. I found him to be a very concerned LEO that as we talked (slow crime time) to a real person that cared about his job as well as the county. If you have a chance go to his web site and just read a bit and you will see he's the man for the job. Chris

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'll be voting for Slater also. This is a REGULAR guy, someone you actually don't mind having contact with. I am surprised at the number of candidates, for years there it was just Chris running against Janney.

Mixed feelings on Sutton, he was my neighbor (to the back side) for a while back in around 2000, great guy to have in the neighborhood. I just like Slater, he's someone who takes the job seriously and has a real interest.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I saw Scott Adams post up a VERY pro 2A status on his facebook page. He had pictures at an MSI rally and of him shooting a very nice 9mm AR.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Thanx for ur input guys... I'm surprised at the number of people running for sheriff also.
    There's Sutton & Adams with the big giant 2x4 signs all over the place, then a bunch of guys with smaller yard signs...
    I suppose I should do a bit more research but I know people sometimes vote for the guy who's sign they have seen the most...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I sat at the same table as Scott Adams at the Friends of the NRA Banquet in Rising Sun this year. He definitely is pro 2nd amendment, I spoke to him on the subject quite a bit. His kids shoot and I coach the junior air rifle program in Rising Sun so I was trying to recruit them to try out for the team.

gskisgirl

Jun 16, 2014
    All of the candidates (except Miller) did a question and answer panel at one of the local churches a few weeks ago. The bad part was the pastor asked all of the questions. The good thing was you at least got to put names with faces and get a feel for character and personality.

Unfortunately they were not asked any questions about 2A, but here was my take and impressions.

First and foremost, Slater made a great first impression. All of the candidates were in suits and ties except Slater. He was professionally dressed in a polo shirt, khakis and belt. Again, professional but looked the part like he could hit the ground running right there. He's also a boots on the ground kind of guy, not a sit behind your desk guy. I like that. I would like to hear from his lips where he stands on 2A.

Adams is all 100% politician. His opening was I'm a republican, here's my resume. It was very canned and rehearsed. Not what I was looking for. A friend said she pressed him on 2A loyalties and if he would stand his ground if confiscation orders were given from up above. She said he blew it off and said that won't happen here. Not a good answer. Standing firmly by 2A is what will prevent it from happening here.

Sutton seems ok, but no offense, he just does not look the part of a sheriff. I love that people come in all shapes, sizes and abililites and I believe God made us all to be what we are. Having been in the military though there is a certain image you have in your head of a military person. I have the same image for Law Enforcement and Sutton just doesn't fit it. On the other hand a friend said he is very 2A friendly. The same friend who pressed Adams on 2A has also pressed Sutton and got a much better response.

Killough is diamond in the rough. He was sherriff before and is retired military. That being said, he's clearly much older and seems physically feeble. Again, God made us all what we are, but although Killough talks the talk, I'm not sure if he can walk the walk. Now if his surrounding staff can handle the ropes then that may be ok. Supposedly he's a big supporter of Joe Arpaio's way of doing things i.e. making crime penalties so tough they won't want to do crime. I love that! Need to hear from his mouth where he stands for sure on 2A.

The rest of the candidates, dems and repubs were kind of wishy washy and no one stood out.

So Slater is my number 1 choice assuming he's 100% pro 2A. I love Killough's philosophies though. The challenge is if Slater can't garner enough votes to outright beat Adams (supposed the favored candidate) then voting Slater may just split the vote from Sutton and give the primary to Adams.

Thoughts? Has anyone met all of these guys? I read a couple comments from some of you that know Slater and know Sutton. I liked what I read about Slater. I really think he's our guy, but can we get him into office?

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Dan Slater is the guy we want.

Sutton = seems like a nice enough guy with sheriff dept. experience, but no I don't want a fat sheriff plain and simple. fat = lazy. I don't care what anyone says God didn't make you fat, laziness and overeating does that. <1% probably have some kind of disorder that makes them gain weight, I don't buy those arguments.

Adams = bit of a poster child and a tool if you ask me. yes, politician to boot. I don't truly believe much of what he says right now. doesn't convince me. and as much as he says he supports 2A and put up a few "tacticool" photos from back in the day, his MSI photo is from the rally just last year. I just don't see the record on him. Way too polished and corporate for Cecil. this is a rural county with down to earth folks. endorsed by janney....not what we need.

Don't know much about the other candidates except that Killough has been a sheriff in the past.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    i met Slater when i was about 18 years old when he was just a patrol officer. great down to earth guy. he will be getting my vote for sure.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I sure hope this sampling extends into the general public. I'd REALLY prefer to have Slater (based on the my personal perception that he's a REGULAR dude)

I have a feeling Janney endorsing Adams could be the nail in the coffins for Slater and Sutton.

I used to be Suttons direct (back yard) neighbor back when he was a new K9 officer. Nice enough guy, but, as stated, he's a very bad example of what we need/want for rural LEOS.

gskisgirl

Jun 16, 2014
    Well it does sound like Slater is our guy and after reading the additional comments here that is definitely who I'm voting for in the primary next week. We just have to get the word out.

If anyone can stand at the polls and talk to people, great!

Talk him up on facebook. Share posts from his page.

Talk about him in any Maryland and Cecil County groups and boards.

Talk about him at church this Sunday.

And PRAY!!!

Let's do this!!!

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    I've personally never seen so many candidates run for an office before. I'm new to Ceciltucky and I guess I just don't understand how things work up here yet. Can someone please explain the signs for the former sheriff from what appears to be the 80's? Is he actually running? If so why on earth would he use those photos?

I think next time around I may throw my hat in for sheriff as well!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lol.

I get a kick out of those Killough photos too. I think I heard his is wheelchair bound, not that that should preclude him from the position, ...... just saying.

"Former" doesn't impress me much, especially in this County. Janney was the quintessential Sheriff, strong jaw, atheletic, big as fuk. A politician rather than a real leader,....perhaps.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Killough was Sheriff when I moved to the county in '93, so do the math. Our bad guys are a lot younger and faster, we need a Sheriff who is quicker. I think we should have them run an obstacle course, guess who would win. They can talk all they want, it still comes down to Dan Slater as the best of the crew running on both sides of the ballot. Chris

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Obstacle course? It would consist of jockeying around desks carrying a stack of papers while paper clips are shot at you. These guys don't do anything that requires actual work!

That being said, we all know who would miserably fail at ANY physical test.

I hope it's at least close.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom