• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    First the observation, I was the Elk Neck range shooting and two guys showed up and strung duct tape between two of the posts so they could hang their targets. I know someone mentioned to them that the RSO's would probably have a problem with that. Their response (politely given) was that they have done this many times with no issues. My question is: Is this OK? Or is it target stands only?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Kind of a waste of duct tape isn't it? I really cant see in my mind what is unsafe about that, as long as they are the proper height and "centered up."

I shoot on private land, we use rope with mud flaps, frames out of wood, whatever is cheapest/easiest to hang whatever piece of paper for whatever we're doing.

Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    It was a major waste of duct tape. The issue I had with it was they were taking three lanes with just two shooters, not too bad if only a few people on the line but it got really crowded after that.
    :sad20:

Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    No, three lanes between two posts. Not to mention the amount of time to run the tape. Everyone else were good and these folks weren't jerks or anything just apparently didn't know better......

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    If there are two tables between two baffles then they were taking up FOUR lanes.

There are two shooters per table.

Standing target only, nothing, NOTHING, to be attached to the baffles, nothing hanging from the baffles nothing leaning on the baffles.

Rules are there for a reason.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    As stated in the ELK NECK STATE FOREST SHOOTING RANGE REGULATIONS. "All targets must be free standing. Targets must not be fastened to or leaned against baffles or supporting posts".

I think this makes it pretty clear.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    First the observation, I was the Elk Neck range shooting and two guys showed up and strung duct tape between two of the posts so they could hang their targets. I know someone mentioned to them that the RSO's would probably have a problem with that. Their response (politely given) was that they have done this many times with no issues. My question is: Is this OK? Or is it target stands only?

Did anyone call the DNR Police or Elk Neck Park management and report them? A self controlled range is only as good as the people shooting on it, if a similar infraction happened at our private club you would be expected to notify the shooter (which was done) and if they still did not comply with the rules report it to any of the club officials for action.

ELK NECK STATE FOREST (410) 287-5675 or 1-800-825-PARK

That was copied from the bottom of the range rules. I have edited out the reference to 911.

Last edited:

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    1-800-825-PARK is an incorrect number. The numbers to call are 410-260-8888 which is DNR Communications or 410-287-5675 which is front office. Calling 911 for this issue is frowned upon because State and Local Police little to no authority on site.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I was at the range on Sunday and unfortunately I was the middle man in the 3 table lane. I was shooting at the full 100 yards and the people on either side of me were both sighting in rifles at 25 yards. Due to the angle of the benches and there shooting distance being much closer than my 100 yards not only once but twice they shot and shattered the legs of my PVC target stand. The first time I had only sent 10 rounds down range and had to wait for a considerable time for a line all clear. I really need to find a private club where I can shoot my rifles and my pistols. :mad54:

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Sounds like their targets were out of line with the shooting lane, we see that often and try to make adjustments so that both the baffles and other people's targets are safe from enemy fire.

Mention this to the RSO on duty and he will make adjustments.

Last edited:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Sounds like their targets were out of line with the shooting lane, we see that often and try to make adjustments so that both the baffles and other peoples targets are safe from enemy fire.

Mention this to the RSO on duty and he will make adjustments.

Unfortunately there was no RSO on duty.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    How do you become a RSO at Elk Neck? I would consider volunteering and even paying for the class myself.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    The RSO on duty should have applications, otherwise call the phone number on the regulations board for the State Forest office and leave your contact info on the answering machine. (I believe the number is (410) 287-5675 but don't quote me on it)

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    The RSO on duty should have applications, otherwise call the phone number on the regulations board for the State Forest office and leave your contact info on the answering machine. (I believe the number is (410) 287-5675 but don't quote me on it)

Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I joined a club in pa to get away from elk neck. Someone is going to get killed there one day. Last time I was there I was next to a very safe VERY good shooter. A couple of younger guys show up (I'm only 39) and within ten minutes one of them hit the top of the FIRST baffle! The first one! That was it for me.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom