ATF Form 4 Update - Went Pending Today (What ATF is saying)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rchapman27

Feb 28, 2013
    Hazzard County
    So just to give a quick snapshot of my ATF Form 4, Individual (not trust), here ya go:

- Took only 2 weeks for Harford County Sheriff Bane (CLEO) to sign.
    - Sent Certified Mail to ATF on 26 Apr 2013 (with check $200)
    - Recieved/Check Cleared (Cashed) 30 Apr...sure cashed that quick ATF didn't even let the letter opener cool off after opening..lol.
    - Called this morning and application is assigned and went pending yesterday 11 July 1013.
    - ATF representative told me this morning they have 9 months for agent to complete so the "estimate" is next April...a big WTF.

???? is 9 months worst case scenario to dot the i's and cross t's or is this the ground truth.

I'm a veteran and currently work for DoD with clearance so maybe...just maybe...it may make things a big easier in doing the research for the agent. (not counting on it)

**Yes hindsight is 20/20 so please thank you for all the "I got a trust" messages. This is my first NFA so learning is the best key! Bottom line I'll get a trust lined up from here on out.

Hope this helps!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Their estimates are usually way-overstated. Check NFATracker for the current numbers. They have been pretty consistently doing them in 6-6.5 months for a long time now.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm a veteran and currently work for DoD with clearance so maybe...just maybe...it may make things a big easier in doing the research for the agent. (not counting on it)

I think Government workers should have to wait longer... since its Government workers being so damn slow processing this info.

If this was a private organization, a week turn around would be long!

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Their estimates are usually way-overstated. Check NFATracker for the current numbers. They have been pretty consistently doing them in 6-6.5 months for a long time now.

That's been true for quite a while. However, we are now getting into early January check cash dates, which means we're reaching the time shortly after Sandy Hook. I'd expect the trend graph to start heading up very shortly.

-Jim

504ranger

Mar 3, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    All pending means is your packet has been assigned to an examiner for review and approval. The 9 months is their "cover your ass" standard line to keep people form getting mad. Generally it's running about 6 months to the day although my latest aquisition was about 5 months.

504ranger

Mar 3, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    It stinks but best thing to do is forget about it and it will go faster. Shouldn't take this long in this day and age but it is what it is. Maybe you'll get lucky and get an early Christmas present.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    All you folks saying there's no change need to look at check cashed to pending time lines. Some people are waiting over 2 months to go pending now. Hell, the Form 3 I just did (from silencershop, they're known to be the fastest) just came back approved after 49 days.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    All you folks saying there's no change need to look at check cashed to pending time lines. Some people are waiting over 2 months to go pending now. Hell, the Form 3 I just did (from silencershop, they're known to be the fastest) just came back approved after 49 days.

It's really unknown. Since we only have information about stamps that were submitted in late December/ Early January right now, no one can really say what the trend will be like for stamps sent in after that.

-Jim

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It's still ridiculuous.

ATF needs to update the Form 4. Put in a block asking if you have a security clearance, who issued it, and whether or not ATF may access it (a formality, but it's polite to ask). Those can be checked off nearly instantly, especially if they all go to one or two examiners who specialize in them. This offloads the rest of the examination team, and lets them handle the remaining applications more quickly.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    It's still ridiculuous.

ATF needs to update the Form 4. Put in a block asking if you have a security clearance, who issued it, and whether or not ATF may access it (a formality, but it's polite to ask). Those can be checked off nearly instantly, especially if they all go to one or two examiners who specialize in them. This offloads the rest of the examination team, and lets them handle the remaining applications more quickly.

Why should someone with a security clearance get to cut in line when the standard is passing a NICS check?

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    From a security perspective they shouldn't. ISSA/TS/SCI clearances are updated every three to five years. A lot can happen during that period. Hence the need for the NICS which is accurate to within days. Even cleared people are not always honest and upstanding citizens.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    2 months from cashed to pending is the new normal. I was looking at some form 4s of a guy interested in selling stuff and he got them back in a month around 04-05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom