• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Curious if any MD dealers have any Wilson Combat 1911 .45s in stock. I am intrigued by the cost of those pistols. What I really wonder if it is more affordable to buy one rather than to spend the money over time to get a 1911 customized to something comparable.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    try les baer. they are budget priced custom 1911s that can keep up with the rest. there finnish might not be up to par with wilson, but there accuracy and reliability are outstanding. brown is also a little cheaper then wilson or nighthawk. if you think wilsons are expensive you should check out cabots; $5000 for a baseline production pistol!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    2A Sales is listed as a Master Dealer.

I sent a Colt to a gunsmith and I have my custom Colt. The price would have been about the same as a Wilson CQB Elite. Wilson claims their frames and slides are better than any other frame because they are willing to trash a bad frame rather than sell it and then deal with warranty work.

If I was to use Ted Yost's shop to have customized my 1911 the cost would have been close to $4,500 or more. Chuck Rogers guns for even more and trying to get onto his list is almost impossible.

The big issue with Wilson is that there aren't many of their guns on the roster.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    KZ-45- discontinued
    1996A2- discontinued
    Brng. HP CarPac- discontinued
    Kahr Carry Pkg.- discontinued
    22 Clas Rimfire- discontinued

The X-Tac has yet to be approved despite being a revised CQB. There are several other new models that aren't the list.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    KZ-45- discontinued
    1996A2- discontinued
    Brng. HP CarPac- discontinued
    Kahr Carry Pkg.- discontinued
    22 Clas Rimfire- discontinued

The X-Tac has yet to be approved despite being a revised CQB. There are several other new models that aren't the list.

That X-Tac looks awesome!
    Yeah, I don't get the roster thing. If it's a 1911, it's a 1911. If not, it's something else, right?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I checked with Mark at 2A. He does not have a WC 1911 in stock. Would like to see one in person to get a sense of the customization.

Freedom Armory and Otto's Police Supply in Glen Burnie are listed as Master Dealers as well. Didn't mention them before because I give preference to IPs.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Beyond the sharp edges of a Baer, it will do everything a Wilson or Brown will do, but less costly.

Youll be hard pressed to go into a shop as a new customer that stocks Wilsons and be able to rack it, dry fire it, or tear it down, let alone actually fire it. Without doing those things you are not going to get a good feel for it. It just isnt going to happen with a 4K dollar pistol unless the shop knows you are seroiously considering buying from them, not just using them and then buying online to have one transferred.

Want to know why? The guy/gal who may actually be serious about buying that exact model everyone finger-screwed, now wont want that model because people dropped the slide, dry fired it, and put wear on it.

Youll get to hold it and look, thats about it.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Beyond the sharp edges of a Baer, it will do everything a Wilson or Brown will do, but less costly.

Youll be hard pressed to go into a shop as a new customer that stocks Wilsons and be able to rack it, dry fire it, or tear it down, let alone actually fire it. Without doing those things you are not going to get a good feel for it. It just isnt going to happen with a 4K dollar pistol unless the shop knows you are seroiously considering buying from them, not just using them and then buying online to have one transferred.

Want to know why? The guy/gal who may actually be serious about buying that exact model everyone finger-screwed, now wont want that model because people dropped the slide, dry fired it, and put wear on it.

Youll get to hold it and look, thats about it.[/QUOTE]

That's all I would be looking to do. But more imporantly, I would like the seller to point out what it is that makes it worth the price.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Youll get to hold it and look, thats about it.

That's all I would be looking to do. But more imporantly, I would like the seller
    to point out what it is that makes it worth the price.

A regular gunshop wont be able to tell you anything you cant read from the manufacturers website. You wouldnt go to a car dealership and trust the salesman to tell you what makes an the performance engine so great in a car they are trying to sell you would you?

If you want to know what makes an expensive 1911 tick then talk to someone who builds and repairs them and they will tell you what you are paying for, and if its cost effective/worth the value.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Chad, do you like the Wilson 1911s? If you had the spare $2,500+ would you buy one? Let's say your world was good to go and you had the $$ in your gun budget. Yes, I know that you could buy several Walther PPQ's for the price of one Wilson CQB Elite.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, do you like the Wilson 1911s? If you had the spare $2,500+ would you buy one? Let's say your world was good to go and you had the $$ in your gun budget. Yes, I know that you could buy several Walther PPQ's for the price of one Wilson CQB Elite.

Yes I do like Wilson 1911, very much so.

If I had to pick between the 2, I would buy a Baer and put the savings towards some nice leather, mags, and ammo. I would carry the crap out of it, shoot the crap out of it and once I have worn it to hell I would refinish it and sllightly dehorn it.

Im under no circumstances saying a Wilson is inferior, but its no more accurate or reliable than a Baer. With a Wilson you are paying for a name and a slightly more carry friendly finish (More durable finish/more dehorning).

I still prefer a USP Tac over a 1911 for defense and carry. My Tac will keep up with a Baer accuracy wise, it holds more ammunition, has double strike capibilities and suppresses much more reliably. The 1911 is more attractive, slimmer, has a better trigger and fits most peoples hands better than a USP does though.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have wilson tactical elite and it is absolutely top of the line. if you want one total quality gun in your collection, you will not go wrong with wilson.

i shoot at www.340defense.com range, around 45 minutes sw of frederick, right on rt 340. would be happy to bring it for you to see, feel and fire. will prob go there tomorrow (monday) sometime. btw they have a full size nighthawk there as a rental range gun for you to see something else in that ballpark.

honestly though, sometimes i lightly consider selling it and getting a glock 21. clearly the glock won't be as accurate, but it will always go bang like the wilson and has almost 2x capacity, and would give me some cash for other guns.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    and what's the deal with being on the maryland roster?? you mean the 1911 model is not generically on the roster, but each individual model needs to be added? what a bunch of total crap if that is the case? i feel bad for your marylanders, real bad. don't think you will find too many gang bangers rollin' with a wilson combat...

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Love the usp line myself, have two newer HKs as well. I also just took delivery of the nighthawk I ordered the beginning of April last year. While I will most likely not do business with nighthawk ever again on the company end of things, I can tell you they make one hell of a lights out pistol. The thing has pretty well ruined me for any other handgun. The cost difference between a custom 1911 of any make and any other handgun is more of a felt difference that cannot be described. It's more than just the quality of parts and the accuracy. I have no other way to describe it than that. It's like when you know your gonna marry a particular girl...you know it's gonna cost you, but you do it anyway cuz it's jut got that feeling.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    try les baer. they are budget priced custom 1911s that can keep up with the rest. there finnish might not be up to par with wilson, but there accuracy and reliability are outstanding. brown is also a little cheaper then wilson or nighthawk. if you think wilsons are expensive you should check out cabots; $5000 for a baseline production pistol!

I own a Baer and would not consider it to be inferior to a Wilson. However, I do know Wilson spends considerably more on marketing.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    and what's the deal with being on the maryland roster?? you mean the 1911 model is not generically on the roster, but each individual model needs to be added? what a bunch of total crap if that is the case? i feel bad for your marylanders, real bad. don't think you will find too many gang bangers rollin' with a wilson combat...

Somehow Springfield Armory got all of their 1911 style pistols approved because it seems that "1911A1" is their name and Range Officer or Operator is not. Wilson, along with other companies have different names or model numbers.

Luke Volkmann, when he was with his old company, got his guns approved but since he has now changed his company name, those new frames aren't approved.

Someone got the Fusion Firearms frames approved, but complete handguns aren't. How do you buy a handgun if it doesn't have a frame?? Also, if the frame is approved, shouldn't any handgun that factory makes also be good enough??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom