• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Looking for a handgun vault, small box type, probably for just one weapon, some mags and ammo, quick open but child and other than me proof, reasonably priced. Any suggestions or favorites? :thumbsup::tdown:

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Looking for a handgun vault, small box type, probably for just one weapon, some mags and ammo, quick open but child and other than me proof, reasonably priced. Any suggestions or favorites? :thumbsup::tdown:

I've been very happy with this one I got from Amazon. Easy to open and keeps kids out. It is not biometric, but you can set your own combos, keypads light up, holds a full size 1911 with extra mags, and can be securely mounted to floor or shelf. Price is reasonable, but there are lots of alternatives out there. Fits nicely inside my nightstand drawer.

Sentry Safe Quick Access Safe 0.08 Cubic Feet
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A75EVJO/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I, personally, don't like electronic locks on anything that I may have to get to fast AND reliably.

I prefer a mechanical push button lock. FAR more reliable. (And silent operation.)

Google "Simplex pistol box"

Simplex is just the type of lock. And many pistol boxes come with them.

They're going to cost a little more. But trust me. The piece of mind is worth it.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have this one http://www.gunvault.com/multivault-biometric-gvb2000.html

I like the size of it. It doesn't matter how big of a safe you get, you will fill it up. What I don't like too much is the delay between the activation and the opening of the spring loaded door. That (approx) one second, feels like a lifetime. Most of all, I don't like the beep that comes with opening the door. I have considered cutting the wire that goes to the speaker, but I need to check it out first. I don't understand why you would want to alert anyone that you are entering your safe or make a noise at a time when quiet is the main objective.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Buy once, cry once. I just got a Fort Knox pistol safe and it's a beast (and made in the USA). The simplex lock is fast, reliable, and probably the best compromise for security. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything electronic.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    For those suggesting Simplex locks, be aware they are not a perfect solution either. They do fail, maybe less often than a battery powered electronic lock, but far more often than you think, and when they jam, or a button breaks, or lose their combination setting you have no backup key like the electronic ones normally have. You have nothing.

Before the advent of proximity and magnetic swipe badges, simplex locks were commonly used for restricted access areas, even on board ships we had them. I have several decades of experience with them, a variety of makes, both the in line and circular configuration. I can't tell you how many times doors were locked open and a gaurd posted because the simplex lock on the scif door was broken again. Or how many times, when it was time to change the combo you had to avoid a certain button because it didn't work.

My ideal solution would be a lockbox on my nightstand and one on my wife's nightstand with electronic locks for ease of access, and a backup in the closet, possibly with a simplex (that way no batteries to worry about on the seldom-used backup case).

I would never put my whole trust in a mechanical lock box with no backup key.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Avoid StackOn and Gunvault (see youtube videos of 3 year old opening).

Some of the simplex locks have the same problem. They can be opened by holding a strong magnet in the right spot.

One of the best known makers (Kaba), whose locks are in a variety of products, had a lawsuit filed against them because they refused to acknowledge or fix the problem.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    On the Unicans (big knob/lever set with five vertical buttons in a row, that used to be common on SCIFs) it's often the clutch assembly that is the problem. On the actual "Simplex locks" (five buttons in a circle) it's often the bolt/latch actuator.

The only times I've seen combination chambers (the "business end" of Simplex and Unican locks) fail are either on very "hi traffic" doors or in extremely "dirty" environments. And then it's about 50/50 between the combination chamber and the other problem(s).

(Been working on them for 33+ years)

With electronic locks, OTOH, even with little use, it's just a matter of time.

For something that probably won't be getting used dozens of times a day, that Simplex will out last the elock 20 fold.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Buy once, cry once. I just got a Fort Knox pistol safe and it's a beast (and made in the USA). The simplex lock is fast, reliable, and probably the best compromise for security. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything electronic.

This +1. I got one myself.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Both my Gun Vault and a buddy's failed, I don't do an electronic lock again for them.

Got the Knox and a Beretta (simplex lock) labeled one and like them fine. Knox is beefier than most but if bolted down and hidden and think most will serve you well.

Hambone

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Take a look at ShotLock. They are made by the same people who make Truck Vault. It uses a simplex lock and fits inside a bedside table drawer.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Just looked at the Fort Knox. I like it!

I have an (older) Amsec pistol box. But they no longer use a Simplex lock. They're now electronic. (Probably because of the cost savings.)

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Great thread guys. I have the gunvault micro and it's 50/50 whether I fumble the combo. Hate having to wait for it to reset. I just looked at the Fort Knox and that appears to be what I'm looking for. I like the idea of the shotgun box too.
    Thanks.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Excellent input everybody. My wife teases me about over researching things but hey, the answer is out there, we just need ask. I will look at what you have told me. I hope to only open the vault to go to the range, but times are achanging that's for sure. Bottom line, I don't want my firearm available with kids around and I want to make it hard as hell to steal without a crowbar.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I like the idea of the shotgun box too.
    Thanks.

Shotgun box????

Did I miss something?

I know of this, by Amsec. And I really like it! But we have those stupid plastic "totes", full of sheets and stuff all under the bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/Defense_Vault/

I also don't like the fact that it's an elock. So if I did get her to move the totes (fat chance) I'd replace the lock with a key lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom