• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zaroot

Oct 18, 2013
    Harford County
    Good evening, I live in Western Harford County. I normally use Duffys Guns, but it's a bit of a drive and I feel they're pricier than most. I need to transfer a Gunbroker purchase. It is a new .22LR Semi Auto Rifle from NY. I have my HQL. Question being, will I need an NICS check and have to provide the spent casing? I know it's non-regulated, but the last two times I used Duffys was for a handgun and an AR.

I also frequently drive down towards the eastern shore (kent island/Easton), so any reputable FFL holders or dealers down that way could work too. What are some fees that you're typically paying? I feel $60-70 in transfer fees for a $101 rifle is ludicrous.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should check in the industry partners section. The first post in each typically gives their fees and if they give a discount for MDS membership.

This should be stictly a long gun transfer, no HQL needed and no spent case.

You also may want to ask the moderators to move your thread to a more appropriate forum than Maryland 2A issues.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I believe Tylers firearms in Landstowne is the most inexpensive. I could be wrong.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I had a rifle transferred through Curtis Croom, in Conowingo, last summer. I believe the cost was $30. I found him through the list on Gunbroker's site.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    If it's a rifle, you will need a NICS check, nothing else. The spent casing is only required for handguns. We charge $50 for long gun transfers. I know it may seem ridiculous to you, considering the purchase price of the rifle, but it's the same amount of labor to transfer a long gun, be it a $100 rifle or a $10,000 rifle.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Good evening, I live in Western Harford County. I normally use Duffys Guns, but it's a bit of a drive and I feel they're pricier than most. I need to transfer a Gunbroker purchase. It is a new .22LR Semi Auto Rifle from NY. I have my HQL. Question being, will I need an NICS check and have to provide the spent casing? I know it's non-regulated, but the last two times I used Duffys was for a handgun and an AR.

I also frequently drive down towards the eastern shore (kent island/Easton), so any reputable FFL holders or dealers down that way could work too. What are some fees that you're typically paying? I feel $60-70 in transfer fees for a $101 rifle is ludicrous.

http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

$30 for long guns. No spent casing on a rifle.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I cant believe we are still talking about this!

That said, anything around $50 is going market. I like A1, $60 for the first handgun, $15 for each additional transfer on the same form. Encourages bulk buying.

What I like best about them is if you buy something that needs a fired cartridge, they do it at no charge as long as its a reasonably common caliber.

Plus its fun to drool over the Class III stuff.

That said, I wouldn't complain too much about transfer fees, afterall for most common guns dealers are trying to make up their margin. Its expensive to maintain brick and mortar.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I cant believe we are still talking about this!

That said, anything around $50 is going market. I like A1, $60 for the first handgun, $15 for each additional transfer on the same form. Encourages bulk buying.

What I like best about them is if you buy something that needs a fired cartridge, they do it at no charge as long as its a reasonably common caliber.

Plus its fun to drool over the Class III stuff.

That said, I wouldn't complain too much about transfer fees, afterall for most common guns dealers are trying to make up their margin. Its expensive to maintain brick and mortar.

No extra for the spent case, that's nice. Some charge $25

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    As noted , $50 is more or less statewide average, if you find for less , consider a bargin.

As always include travel distances in calculations , no point to spend $20 on gas , plus your time) to save $5 in fees.

And as a fact of life in Md , you have to mentally include shipping and transfer fees when deciding ordering/ bidding on out of stae firearms. What seems like a bargin might not be for you.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    As noted , $50 is more or less statewide average, if you find for less , consider a bargin.

As always include travel distances in calculations , no point to spend $20 on gas , plus your time) to save $5 in fees.

And as a fact of life in Md , you have to mentally include shipping and transfer fees when deciding ordering/ bidding on out of stae firearms. What seems like a bargin might not be for you.

Common sense has no place in these discussions.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Common sense has no place in these discussions.

That and cheap, cheap, cheap! Cash is not king, CHEAP is! :lol:

My recommendation to those that complain about transfer fees is to perhaps set up a relationship with a transferring dealer before buying an online gun would have been the way to go? That way, they can at least feel more like a business and less like a paperwork scut monkey (that's a medical term for the interns that do all the mindless dirty work on the medical floors). Maybe they'll do something mutually beneficial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom