• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Mooseman - here is the relevant statute for what is supposed to happen after you get the denial from the informal review, i.e. the Secretary/Superintendent's final denial/action:

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-312 Action by Board

Request for review authorized

(a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.

(2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90 days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written request with the Board.

Form of review

(b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:

(1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or
    (2) conduct a hearing.

Evidence

(c) The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the decision of the Secretary.

Decision by Board

(d)(1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse, or modify the decision of the Secretary.

(2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for the action taken by the Board.

Administrative procedures

(e)(1) Any hearing and any subsequent proceedings of judicial review shall be conducted in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a court may not order the issuance or renewal of a permit or alter a limitation on a permit pending a final determination of the proceeding.

NOTE: The Board was supposed to act within 90 days and obviously did not. They don't have to have a hearing but at least need to review the record, and if they sustain the denial they are supposed to tell you in writing why they denied the application. If they didn't, their action is arbitrary and subject to judicial review and reversal.

I did not have a chance to pull the corresponding COMAR Reg, but this statute would trump COMAR to the extent its inconsistent.

I am thinking about becoming a statistic as well. :) Can't bitch if I don't apply and get denied. Good luck in whatever you decide. If you file a petition for judicial review in the circuit court at least you can do it up your way, and may draw a favorable judge? Likelihood of success would be based on your particulars. However, if you just applied based on self defense and all other lawful purposes its very likely an uphill battle given the decision in Woollard at the 4th Circuit. I am probably still going to apply and make them say no, and see what happens during the review/appeal process.

Take care.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If you have the money, PTO, and time, I would fight.

I have none of the above, lol.

That is the problem. The money, I think I can cover. It is the time away from work. I already have all of my vacation time for the year scheduled. I get three personal days a year. I have already used one to renew my drivers license. I have to go to Frederick to do this. I took last Friday off for my dogs surgery. That leaves me with one. Unless I could be assured of a December trial date, time is an issue.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I asked for an informal review a year and two weeks ago...

Still no communication.

Not sure whether I should let it ride (hardly expedient, right?), or formally withdraw...

For me; "if not willing and prepared to go the distance, why bother making the application, when I know the Review Board process is stacked against me"... Follow-up on your application/review and take it to court if necessary... If we allow the MD purveyors of the process to just have their way by ignoring us, we do nothing but embolden them to further ignore or deny, deny, and deny...

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Apply for an out of state Virginia CCW, then come and visit and CCW till it feels normal.

I have Virginia and recently got Utah. I carry in West Virginia quite regularly. I live about two minutes away from WV, if I catch both lights red. I get to Virginia about every night. Either Roanoke or Richmond. My job will not permit me to carry.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the permit review board meetings are in the evening... no need to schedule off work if you have a day job. they have rules and laws they they have to follow. make them jump through the same hoops.

its going bad for them right now, so bad that they have resorted to having to bring in an attorney for the states attorney office when they have their meetings.

edit to add, i have no insider info but I have a suspicion that this may become the next lawsuit or injunction.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Like I said, I considered the issue over. I figured that they had so many post Woollard appeals that they just trashed them all. Getting a reply eleven months later, without being invited to my own hearing, really pisses me off.

their backlog, at their current pace will take them several years, and they are doing everything they can to break the rules, including removing the public from the room so they can meet in private.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    the permit review board meetings are in the evening... no need to schedule off work if you have a day job. they have rules and laws they they have to follow. make them jump through the same hoops.

its going bad for them right now, so bad that they have resorted to having to bring in an attorney for the states attorney office when they have their meetings.

edit to add, i have no insider info but I have a suspicion that this may become the next lawsuit or injunction.

I work from 7 P.M. until 8 or 9 in the morning. I live on the other end of the state. According to the letter I received today, the Handgun Permit Review Board has already held my review. They denied me. I was not informed that a hearing or review was being conducted concerning me. I was not invited. According to the letter, my next step is Circuit Court.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the only way MD will be forced to issue permits is if National Reciprocity is passed and then when residents from other states start carrying here MD will be forced to do something, if then.

Unless one of these other cases gets to SCOTUS and we prevail, which is a long shot iMO.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I think the only way MD will be forced to issue permits is if National Reciprocity is passed and then when residents from other states start carrying here MD will be forced to do something, if then.

Unless one of these other cases gets to SCOTUS and we prevail, which is a long shot iMO.

OR...

When a Governor directs the MSP to accept SD as G&S.
    When more 2A friendly reps are voted into our legislature.
    When a court smacks down subjective may-issue.

Call it optimism, but this is farrrr from over.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I work from 7 P.M. until 8 or 9 in the morning. I live on the other end of the state. According to the letter I received today, the Handgun Permit Review Board has already held my review. They denied me. I was not informed that a hearing or review was being conducted concerning me. I was not invited. According to the letter, my next step is Circuit Court.

Mooseman - here is the relevant statute for what is supposed to happen after you get the denial from the informal review, i.e. the Secretary/Superintendent's final denial/action:

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-312 Action by Board

Request for review authorized

(a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.

(2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90 days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written request with the Board.

Form of review

(b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:

(1) review the record developed by the Secretary;
    or
    (2) conduct a hearing.

Evidence

(c) The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the decision of the Secretary.

Decision by Board

(d)(1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse, or modify the decision of the Secretary.

(2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for the action taken by the Board.

They did what they do. Its up to you to call them out. They don't have to tell on themselves. I would at least consult an attorney. But I do realize it's a losing cause anyway. I don't mind if my tax money goes to fight your lawsuit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    OR...

When a Governor directs the MSP to accept SD as G&S.
    When more 2A friendly reps are voted into our legislature.
    When a court smacks down subjective may-issue.

Call it optimism, but this is farrrr from over.
    I think no. 3 is the more realistic possibility but I haven't given up either.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    They did what they do. Its up to you to call them out. They don't have to tell on themselves. I would at least consult an attorney. But I do realize it's a losing cause anyway. I don't mind if my tax money goes to fight your lawsuit.

I'm just a dumb truck driver. Is there more than ninety days in eleven months?:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom