Wild animal trainer:

2832856_370.jpg

Or you could work at a golf course:

1040_1340291980.jpg

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just keep working the same job. But stop using that police car that was bought with my tax dollars to drive to florida for vacation with using my tax dollars for gas :)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    retired LE is almost the easiest way to get a PI license.

I could see you as a gym teacher though... I think you would enjoy that.

but my vote goes to say emoployeed till you get another promotion, and retire with the better pension.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Just keep working the same job.

+1, I don't understand the concept of retiring only to go find another job.

If you are looking to double dip then take your skill/experience and lateral to another department............

fireantresq

Oct 4, 2010
    FPS,
    Do a search on usajobs for apg. There are plenty of non-LEO jobs available on post. Plus, if you just do a search for the location you will generate a list that may give you some ideas you didn't even consider before.
    Or...you could open a new gun shop/range and offer incredible discounts to MDS members.
    ;)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    +1, I don't understand the concept of retiring only to go find another job.

If you are looking to double dip then take your skill/experience and lateral to another department............

+2. Your job now has guarantees and will pay you well and has good benefits. Unless you are going to have that plus advancement opportunity with increased responsibilities why give that up for just something different? Why not focus on advancing in your current job instead?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Two of my friends back home started a business a few years ago that does beer/wine tastings and puts on events. They do big events where they have hundreds of people or they go to people's house and do a tasting for like 15-20 people. Here's a link to their page to come up with some ideas http://www.rollingbarrel.com . They legitimately enjoy going to work now and are making a good amount of cash doing it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have heard that if you are looking for a career that you will enjoy, take what you enjoy doing the most and find a way to make money doing it.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    You could always open up your own gun store. Then again, I know if you are like me I would want one of everything I ordered for the shop!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    retired LE is almost the easiest way to get a PI license.

I could see you as a gym teacher though... I think you would enjoy that.

but my vote goes to say emoployeed till you get another promotion, and retire with the better pension.

actually I wouldn't mind being a gym teacher!! I do alot of coaching

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Decide.

You gonna work for yourself?
    You gonna work for somebody else?

Then: You want regular, normal hours? You want (need?) serious money? Health insurance? (No, wait, Obama will give it to you free)

You want to use any of your knowledge/experience/contacts, or ditch it all and start fresh?

You want to play with guns? You got any other outside interests?

Lots of questions; some have easy answers, some not so much.

Travel? Adventure? Snooze on a beach? What kind of stuff do you do for fun? Can you make it into something you'd both enjoy and make money with?

Volunteer work? Consulting in a field of expertise? Online business?

Write a book? I forget who it was, used to book passage on tramp steamers, nothing to do but sit in his cabin and work the typewriter for a couple months at a stretch, come out with something to publish.

You play ball? Soccer? Start a team of ex-LEOs, call 'en the Rolling Donuts, play for food and beer.

Wander around and make weird U-tube videos, hope for viral. Get one of those cameras that take 1000 frames per second, film ballistic stuff; then you can get hired to make really cool videos for firearms companies, play with all the new toys, we'll all envy your a$$.

World's your oyster, slurp it down while you still can. All our good times are numbered, don't let any go to waste.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    When I "retire" from working for someone else (my target age is around 55, depending on the market, my retirement balance, and if my house is paid for) I would like to open my own business doing something I enjoy.

I've kicked around a cigar/pipe store, the thought of bumming around all day smoking good tobacco sounds nice. Maybe combine it with some alcohol, perhaps a cigar bar?

Another option is a gun store/shooting range, I would love that as well. Randy and Mark are my heroes, I want to be like them when I grow up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom