• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    One of our ASA's quit and we hired someone from the public defender's office to replace them. They are not advertising the opening at the public defender's office yet but I am sure they will as they were short staffed before he left to come to our office. So if you are an attorney interested in doing criminal defense and you live in southern maryland, the office of the public defender, district location in Calvert County may/should be hiring an assistant public defender soon. Keep an eye out on the office of the public defender website. Hope it helps someone find a job.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why would someone put themselves through law school to defend criminals?

I do not believe everyone charged is guilty and thus the need for good defense attorneys.

I do believe as a defense attorney it's important to be ethical while doing the job. I would have a hard time getting a guilty client off on a technicality. I would consider that selling my soul so to speak.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Why would someone put themselves through law school to defend criminals?

Many Reasons:

• Not every person arrested is guity
    • Our justice system requires someone to speak for the accused
    • To protect the consitutional rights afforded the accused
    • To ensure the punishment meets the crime

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    why do dentist give kids candy after their visit...

why we park on driveway and drive on parkways? lol

sorry just had to. :)

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    So you defend your client knowing he's guilty, get him probation and then find out he raped another woman. Just doing your job, huh? Keep up the good work. I was only following orders.............Kind of like the lady in Philadelphia mowed down by a robber on parole, she's Killed along with her three children. She probably voted democrat her whole life, democrats don't believe in incarcerating violent criminals so one of them slaughtered her family. Ain't that ironic?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    So you defend your client knowing he's guilty, get him probation and then find out he raped another woman. Just doing your job, huh? Keep up the good work. I was only following orders.............Kind of like the lady in Philadelphia mowed down by a robber on parole, she's Killed along with her three children. She probably voted democrat her whole life, democrats don't believe in incarcerating violent criminals so one of them slaughtered her family. Ain't that ironic?

I hope you are never forced to defend yourself against the 'kings men' who try to throw you in prison.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Name Taken .. I like the way you think... I recently went through 2 months of BS with NICS...They keep telling me I was convicted of a charge back in 1973. With my last VAF form to NICS I asked that they send me a copy of my conviction as they seem to be the only agency who has this on file.... About a week later i get a letter saying they are reviewing my request and 2 days later I've been given a UPIN to use when the FFL calls NICS.... So you have a pretty good idea how those folks reviewing any VAF feels

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why should anyone put all that time and effort into becoming a cardiac surgeon and then operate on fat people?

:lol:

2015-lamborghini-huracan-fd.jpg

url

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    What was the movie... Where during the trial the defense attorney said words to the effect: after he examined all the evidence, the only possible explanation as to why the victim would accuse the defendant and go through a [rape?] trial - was because she was telling the truth and therefore his client was guilty!

I think the judge declared it a miss trial on the spot. I'd like to watch that scene again.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Sorry if I offended any pubic defenders or criminal defense lawyers. As most do I hold attorneys in as high esteem as politicians and dope dealers.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Sorry if I offended any pubic defenders or criminal defense lawyers. As most do I hold attorneys in as high esteem as politicians and dope dealers.
    If there is no one to speak for the accused even when guilty you don't have a court system you have a lynch mob.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    If there is no one to speak for the accused even when guilty you don't have a court system you have a lynch mob.

+1

Criminal defense attorneys are the subject of hatred when you are the victim. I've been robbed, the perp was caught and eventually convicted. Having someone defend the person who destroyed your feeling of safety and security in your home is rage-inducing at the time.

But you know what? We are a society of innocent until proven guilty in the courts (the media is a different story), and every human has the right to mount a defense when accused. Go read the Matthew Pinkerton case thread and keep in mind that HE was the "criminal" in that case. A defense attorney kept him rightfully out of jail.

Complaining about defense attorneys is ignorant and self-isolating. They will be your only friends when you are wrongfully accused or, heaven forbid, have to protect your family with lethal force.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County

Attorneys also fight for our 2A rights where we are unable to, help us set up trusts for our NFA items, helped me fight NDA terms and draft contracts for my business, prosecuted the man who broke into my home and robbed me... you are painting with a very broad brush, Tebonski.

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes." ;)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Remember that breaking the law doesn't necessarily mean that you have malevolent intent. For instance, if you are coming back from the range and stop to take a leak with a handgun in the trunk and for whatever reason have an interaction with an officer that leads to a charge, shouldn't you be entitled to representation?

Teachers are accused of hideous things all of the time that may or may not be true. Should they not be entitled to someone who is vigorously working on their behalf to ensure that they are given due process?

People are injured and sue property owners all of the time. Should those property owners not be entitled to representation to ensure that their rights are respected?

We could go on and on all day.

Whether you know it or not, you obliquely have an attorney working to represent your interests this very minute. That's all I can say about it for now, but I can tell you that at least one criminal defense attorney that is posting in this thread is doing good work for us.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I know there are good lawyers and lawyers are needed for our society to function. We fight not with weapons but in court with lawyers representing the opposing sides. But in general I think that lawyers placed on the federal courts have harmed this nation more than they helped us. Look at how we as a nation are falling apart.No dispute whatsoever. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom