• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    O.K. This forum has taken shots at Maryland Small Arms Range (I admit I was one of those critics) and then we had a go at Gilbert’s. So let’s complete the set by throwing some venom at the NRA range. I’ve seen some snarky comments about how they “sit on your shoulder”.

I, personally, have no problem with someone keeping very careful track of me and what I’m doing with a deadly firearm. If I do something wrong or foolish then I deserve to have it pointed out to me. If I maintain safe practices then they only nod and smile at me as I enter and leave the range.

However, I invite anyone’s opinion on why that’s a bad idea.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I didn't see any posts about the NRA range. I shoot there 2 or 3 times a month and never have an issue. I for one like the fact that they watch everyone closely.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I dunno makes sense to me. The foremost authority on firearms rights and safety would have an awful lot of mud on their face were something to happen that they could have prevented. Besides I would rather donation money spent go towards the real fight rather than having to defend themselves over something preventable.

I find it rather peculiar that you have such a low post count and want dirt on the NRA range. Maybe Mr. H was right.........:tinfoil:

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have also seen a few of the negative NRA range comments. I for one would welcome someone letting me know I was doing something that was dangerous to myself or another shooter. I don't know if I will ever get down to that range but I may need to take a road trip so I can at least say I have been there.

cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    My $.02 on the NRA Range in Vienna, VA.

Pros
    -Good facility
    -Clean facility
    -Friendly staff
    -Good waiting area
    -Good technology for variety of shooting (timed shooting, distance)

Cons
    -Wait times on weekends
    -Located on I-66

I had a discussion with my friend about the NRA range a while back when we both got a stern talking to from the range personnel while we were packing up to leave concerning not having the muzzle of my rifle pointed completely down range. MY buddy viewed it as extreme/ zealous RSO. I viewed it as safety concern (which is good) and the fact the NRA is trying to protect its interests and not be the place (NRA HQ Range) where somebody get injured by a firearm and then the Left tries to make big a deal out of it and say gun owners aren't "safe" at their own pinnacle place of gun handling.

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I dunno makes sense to me. The foremost authority on firearms rights and safety would have an awful lot of mud on their face were something to happen that they could have prevented. Besides I would rather donation money spent go towards the real fight rather than having to defend themselves over something preventable.

I find it rather peculiar that you have such a low post count and want dirt on the NRA range. Maybe Mr. H was right.........:tinfoil:
    I'm sorry I thought the first line indicated that I was trying to convey humor and a bit of sarcasm. We have been beating on the other two ranges a great deal.

FWIW I have a low message count because I'm a relatively new shooter and prefer to listen and learn. I still get to have an opinion don't I?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I've shot there since 2009. I've not personally experienced any problems with a RO ever. Nothing but smiles and friendly nods. But maybe that's because I obey the safety rules.

A few here have griped about the RO being over zealous. Maybe. maybe not. As someone pointed out the NRA has more at stake than most ranges because of who they are.

Easy solution. Find another range. Less waiting for the rest of us.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I go there about once a month. The staff is very attentive and very helpful. It's a particularly good place for newbies. Yes, they are sticklers on their rules about not unpacking guns outside the enclosure and keeping it pointed downrange. That's a feature for me, not a bug. :D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't call it a bash - the ROs do tend to be a pretty "on top" of things. Do they hover a bit - yeah, probably. It makes me second guess everything I do there, which I suppose isn't necessarily bad. I agree, they'd really have some egg on their face if some kind of negligent discharge or worse happened at a range that the public would assume should be beyond reproach.

My only real issue came when the RO wouldn't let me have the brass from the guy who was shooting next to me after the guy, who wasn't a reloader, told me I could have it.

Their range, their rules - either I can accept it and roll with it, or choose not to go there. Since the only reason I was there was due to meeting a friend from back home there during his trip out this way, it's not likely I'll go there again.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've never had a problem...no, that the wrong way to put it, as a lack of negatives. Actually, I like the way they run the range (compared with other places mentioned from time-to-time) because of their no-nonsense, get it right attitude. This is the mother ship of ranges. This is the organization that provides the certifications we pursue.

A few years back I brought in some commercially produced targets with photographic images on them. For defensive handgun training purposes, they're certainly much more lifelike than the B-27 target. The RO said I couldn't use them. I pointed at the rules which stated no such prohibition. He quietly said to me that it wouldn't look good if someone took a photo of a patron shooting a lifelike target and it ended up in the WAPO. No argument from me about that. They are aware that eyes are upon them, and thus they must do everything better than everyone else.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Same thing happened to me. I was gently chided for givng my brass to the guy in the next lane. It was explained they sell the brass so you pnly get your own to keep.

Like you said-their range-their rules.

I don't reload so no big issue for me.

And there is a reason no cameras are permitted. It's also a privacy thing. I don't want my picture of Facebook or wherever this crap ends up for the wrong reason.

I like the way it's run. Better than the other way round for sure IMO.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    My complaints-

It's on 66 in VA. (At least Maryland isn't getting the tax money)
    it's only 50yds. (I can only see about 15yds.)
    They let people (me) shoot .50 beowolf indoors! (Holy loud!)
    The patrons are generally very friendly- I don't want to share my enjoyment of firearms with others.

Oh and they don't have beer service for after shooting.

Mr H

Banana'd
    O.K. This forum has taken shots at Maryland Small Arms Range (I admit I was one of those critics) and then we had a go at Gilbert’s. So let’s complete the set by throwing some venom at the NRA range. I’ve seen some snarky comments about how they “sit on your shoulder”.

I, personally, have no problem with someone keeping very careful track of me and what I’m doing with a deadly firearm. If I do something wrong or foolish then I deserve to have it pointed out to me. If I maintain safe practices then they only nod and smile at me as I enter and leave the range.

However, I invite anyone’s opinion on why that’s a bad idea.

No experience there, but I've generally only heard good things (which is probably the norm).

Not understanding how--even in jest--there's any meat on this bone???

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I should probably qualify my earlier post with the fact that I felt it was a well-run range. They made sure everyone knew what was what before they allowed them on the firing line, and they have certain rules and monitoring built in to prevent screw-ups. But the ROs do tend to hover IMO - again, there's a perfect justification for why they do.

I just don't want people to think that I won't go their because I don't like it, but rather because it's simply not convenient to where I live.

Mr H

Banana'd

Well, we know for a fact there are antis here, and yes they will try to snipe their way into creating division.

After re-reading all his posts, I seriously doubt the OP is one of them, to be honest.

If I end up being wrong, so be it, and I'll take my licks. But for this one, I think we're OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom