• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    The scope I use for long-range shooting. I shoot it 1000+ yards on my 30-06 Savage and it will be joining me for an elk hunt in November.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better scope for $300.

Check out Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...-65-20x-44mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte

For those that don't know much about them, Vortex has one of the best lifetime warranties in the business and are some awesome glass!

-waterproof
    -nice tactical turrets (great for ranging)
    -30mm tube (tons of light)
    -65 MOA of internal adjustment for windage and elevation

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to watch, mil reticle with MOA turrets.

Makes dialing corrections a mental math job. If the shot is 1 mil off, how many clicks do I turn the knobs? Or 1.5 mils off??????

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Makes dialing corrections a mental math job. If the shot is 1 mil off, how many clicks do I turn the knobs? Or 1.5 mils off??????

Part of the reason I went with mil/mil, easier corrections.

1 mil - 10 clicks, etc. etc.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

I don't understand why they mix and match reticles and turrets like that? I see pros and cons of each system but to mix the two is nuts to me.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    The scope I use for long-range shooting. I shoot it 1000+ yards on my 30-06 Savage and it will be joining me for an elk hunt in November.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better scope for $300.

Check out Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...-65-20x-44mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte

For those that don't know much about them, Vortex has one of the best lifetime warranties in the business and are some awesome glass!

-waterproof
    -nice tactical turrets (great for ranging)
    -30mm tube (tons of light)
    -65 MOA of internal adjustment for windage and elevation

woohoo... got one. :thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    On a BDC scope I don't use the turrets at all after zeroing the scope. I just use the dots and know at what range my bullets will hit those dots in drop. That way what the turrets do does not matter. Vortex gives you a little sticky you can put on the inside of the rear cap and put your dot ranges on for reference. I only use the turrets when I have a duplex hunting reticle (or extreme LR shooting). I got one of those scopes in the previous sale (same price) for my 6.8mm SPC II AR.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This scope is not really a BDC scope. It is mil dot. The dots are each 1 mil apart. Yes, you can make a chart of distanes for each dot.

However, this is also a 2nd focal plane scope, so the dots are only 1 mil apart at ONE POWER. If you change the power setting, the dots will not longer be 1 mil apart. So your range chart will not be accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom