POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm curious. When the AMA or now the ACP (American College of Physicians) makes a recommendation that doctors ask about guns, we get doctor bashing threads. The recommendation that doctors council on guns and "gun safety" has been around for well over a decade. I would like to know how many people have had their doctor ask them about guns.

If you answer yes, can you comment on whether or not it was a pediatrician?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I lied......it's yes.....but I had a broken shooting hand am I'm a cop who was seeing the cop surgeon......but never from my primary doctor and never not work related

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    The question was on the new patient form. I didn't answer it. Doc himself never asked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The question was on the new patient form. I didn't answer it. Doc himself never asked.

I would venture to say it is on most forms. I want to know if they ever really ask....

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My daughter's first pediatrician asked about whether the firearms were secured.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My daughter's first pediatrician asked about whether the firearms were secured.

I couldn't think of an easy way to do a sub-poll on what the specialty was. I bet it is usually pediatricians.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I would venture to say it is on most forms. I want to know if they ever really ask....

No he never asked. But he was wearing an MDS pin the first time I went in, so it came up anyway.

Past doctors have never asked either.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    My primary asked me once if there were firearms in the house. I told her that asking that question was illegal and to never bring it up to me again or I would be finding another doc.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    I would be obligated to ask if the question / answer had a direct bearing on quality, speed and necessary amount of treatment.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would be obligated to ask if the question / answer had a direct bearing on quality, speed and necessary amount of treatment.

Like if they have a gun, you will treat the quickly, and make sure the quality is excellent?? :D

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I went to the doctor after reading a thread on here about this subject. He began to ask the question and stopped half way through and said "ah nevermind". I'm guessing he must have seen my facial expression and decided he better not go down that road.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I do suspect that I'm a little desensitized to these kind of questions. Anyone that knows I'm a cop assumes that I have at least one gun anyway, so they may also ask them to me differently.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    When I worked as an X-ray tech, I used to run the fluoroscopy machine for pacemaker insertions. One surgeon always asked the patient if they shot a rifle or shotgun just so he would be able to put the pacemaker on the opposite side to avoid damage from recoil. One of the few occasions I can think of for a legitimate need to know about a patient's firearms use.

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    Our daughter was born last June. When we had the first of my wife's monthly visits to doctors (large group in Frederick) we were asked if we had any firearms in the home. I replied yes. I was then asked if they were secured...Being that these people were going to be a part of our lives for a while and the fact that my wife would have killed me had i acted anything close to 'rude' i just said yes and left it at that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Dogbone's comment reminded me of another occurrence. My former primary care doc used to ask me if I wore vision and hearing protection when I went shooting. Frankly she used to also ask me if I wore my body armor on duty and PPE when dealing with sick cases. She was a really good doc and wanted to make sure I was taking all appropriate precautions.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I bet it is usually pediatricians.

spot on. Our daughter's pediatrician asked if we had any "hobbies" that would expose us to lead. I lied, said no.

But my "free time" has all but evaporated anyhow, and I haven't been able to get away and shoot much since her birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom