• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    i have the sig 556r but not the VZ2008. I can say that the 556r is a very nice rifle. It is easy to take apart for cleaning and it takes regular AK mags. I have found that it is pretty accurate out of the box and even though some did not like the factory cheap optic, I did.

It is just a well made, solid rifle. I personally got mine for around $1K which I feel was a good deal.

Again, I have never shot a VZ2008 but I assume it is much like shooting a AK, so I am using that assumption to compare to the SIG.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have both (Czechpoint VZ58 version).

VZ uses proprietary mags, Sig use AK mags.
    VZ is used by a real army, Sig isn't.
    Sig stock is a little nicer (better cheekweld and I could swear its a little longer.)
    Sig takes optics more readily vs $ to add the rail to the side of the VZ and then more $ get the side mount.
    Sig includes optics (and the 3x power fixed sight (CP1?) isn't too bad.)
    VZ handguard gets hotter when firing a lot.
    VZ is smaller folded (its just downright tiny and thats pretty neat IMO)
    VZ throws cases straight up limiting any scope that sticks over the ejection port.

IMO The Sig is nicer to shoot. But if you can live w/ irons on the VZ I'd pick it - the Sig isn't 2x nicer. I have lousy vision and need red dot/optics and the cost to add that to the VZ closes the gap considerably. My VZ58 is more $ than the Sig now that it has a red dot.

I really want to see the new Sig Xi when its avail in 7.62x39 natively. The 556 version is REALLY nice and the left side charging handle swap is just the way it ought to be! ;) I'll likely pick one up when it comes out. Though a pistol w/ a sigbrace would be the ultimate w/o having to SBR it. (not holding my breath on a pistol versions being avail anytime soon.)

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I plan on owning both in the Future but I think I would get the VZ2008 first because I am thinking they might become harder to find or at least more expensive and I don't see Sig stopping production

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sig 556Xi. Serialized upper lets you swap lowers to be ar mag compatible or ak mag compatible. It also gives you bolt heads for 5.56, 300blk and 7.62x39. Seems like a pretty good fusion of what works with an AK and what works with an AR.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've got both, too. And I like being argumentative...

I have both (Czechpoint VZ58 version).
    VZ is used by a real army, Sig isn't.
    Well, the Sig 550 is used by the Swiss... so the 556R is not a purely civilian design. And the Vz58s are actually cut-open single stack guns (albeit well-done).

Sig stock is a little nicer (better cheekweld and I could swear its a little longer.)
    You have a gift for understatement. The 556R stock is better in basically every way than the Vz58 stock.

VZ is smaller folded (its just downright tiny and thats pretty neat IMO)
    Definitely one of its bigger advantages now that you can't buy an AMD-65 in this state.

IMO The Sig is nicer to shoot. But if you can live w/ irons on the VZ I'd pick it - the Sig isn't 2x nicer. I have lousy vision and need red dot/optics and the cost to add that to the VZ closes the gap considerably. My VZ58 is more $ than the Sig now that it has a red dot.
    The problem is that the Czechpoint Vz58s are now about as much as a 556R. At similar prices, there's simply no comparison. The CAI Vz2008 is nice as a beater gun that only gets minimal upgrades.

I really want to see the new Sig Xi when its avail in 7.62x39 natively. The 556 version is REALLY nice and the left side charging handle swap is just the way it ought to be! ;) I'll likely pick one up when it comes out. Though a pistol w/ a sigbrace would be the ultimate w/o having to SBR it. (not holding my breath on a pistol versions being avail anytime soon.)
    I want to use a 556xi AK mag lower with a 5.56x45 556xi upper and do a Galil-mag 556. Should be awesome.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The 556R will soon or already has been discontinued. The Xi is taking its place.

556xi should be $1250-$1350. Maybe less if you shop around.

2A has them and IIRC asking in that price range. I was REALLY tempted but just dont need another 5.56 rifle. Hoping the native 7.62 is the same basic cost so I can save the barrel/bolt kit price.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Couldn't get a 7.62 AK in time so went with the VZ. Except for canted sights (apparently not too uncommon) I am pretty pleased. Not a lot of aftermarket, but sufficient. You will like. I even like the otter puke.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    qe7yseze.jpg

Love the 556r!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member