• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oh and on the same site.

5. States that Require Registration of Pre-Ban Assault Weapons, 50 Caliber Rifles, and/or Large Capacity Magazines: Six states (California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York) have banned assault weapons,34 but allow continued possession of such weapons if they were lawfully owned on a specified date and are registered, except that grandfathered assault long guns in Maryland do not need to be registered. In California (the only state that currently bans the possession of 50 caliber rifles) any person who lawfully possessed a 50 caliber rifle before January 1, 2005, must have registered it no later than April 30, 2006 in order to retain possession of the firearm

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    oh and in case all that was unlcear. Straight from the MD State Police...
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

New Resident

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    Lets end this debate.....

MD makes it very unclear, the important bit of information they leave out online is PRE-2013. I have owned my Glock for over 10 years, so way before 2013. So, at this point it becomes voluntary, and there is not a charge of $15. Now with that said, the state can simply pull from the FBI national database and see I own a Glock. I am not sure what the gain is other than, $15 extra dollars for the state, and a class for a handguns to allow a resident to purchase one.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Exception: IF you are a prior Maryland resident and the handgun was purchased by you in Maryland while you lived here, and you are moving back with that handgun... That handgun is already registered here and need not be registered a second time.

Just wondering....in what year did sidearm registration in Maryland begin? I know it preceded SB281, but when?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    MD makes it very unclear, the important bit of information they leave out online is PRE-2013. I have owned my Glock for over 10 years, so way before 2013. So, at this point it becomes voluntary, and there is not a charge of $15. Now with that said, the state can simply pull from the FBI national database and see I own a Glock. I am not sure what the gain is other than, $15 extra dollars for the state, and a class for a handguns to allow a resident to purchase one.

I can't answer your particular questions with any specificity, but, in general, the salient purpose for Maryland's recent firearm laws is harassment.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, and ask them if you are on a NICS delay, because there is NO Maryland required wait for long guns.
    NICS delays are pretty common... I had to wait a day or two to obtain a 22 rifle recently because of this..

and as stated, as long as you aren't hunting, you can load as many rounds as you want in any mag you own/possess. I think for hunting (IIRC) the limit is 8rds in the mag, regardless of mag capacity.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Lets end this debate.....

The pre-2013 bit is for evil, scary Black rifles with light weight barrels. Any handgun bought while you were a resident of another state is supposed to be registered when you move into this wonderful state.
    The FBI doesn't have any idea what you have.

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    Supposed and voluntary have two different meaning in my book. And I am sure MD police and the FBI have access to the national firearms registry.

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    OK. Good luck with all that.

Don't need any see "FIREARMS SAFETY ACT 2013 (SB 281) ‎(6)"

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx

It appears that registration of "already owned" regulated/banned firearms, after 10/1/13 is no longer part of the law? Do owners need to register those rifles? Or register already owned (greater than 10 round) magazines?
    ​Any firearm lawfully owned prior to October 1, 2013 is not required to be registered. Magazines are not required to be registered.​

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Don't need any see "FIREARMS SAFETY ACT 2013 (SB 281) ‎(6)"

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx

It appears that registration of "already owned" regulated/banned firearms, after 10/1/13 is no longer part of the law? Do owners need to register those rifles? Or register already owned (greater than 10 round) magazines?
    ​Any firearm lawfully owned prior to October 1, 2013 is not required to be registered. Magazines are not required to be registered.​

Tyler, I may be wrong, but as I read the statement you posted about regulated firearms purchased prior to 10/1/13 and them not requiring registration. That applies to existing MD residents.

The section I posted previously in this thread makes me interpret things as specifically different to the law for a NEW resident bringing guns new to MD. They MUST register them and provide additional details as stated in this next message I post.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

New Resident

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

Unregulated firearms, whether bought in state, out of state or prior to 10/1/13 or since, do not need to be registered.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Tyler, I may be wrong, but as I read the statement you posted about regulated firearms purchased prior to 10/1/13 and them not requiring registration. That applies to existing MD residents.

The section I posted previously in this thread makes me interpret things as specifically different to the law for a NEW resident bringing guns new to MD. They MUST register them and provide additional details as stated in this next message I post.

New Resident

Unregulated firearms, whether bought in state, out of state or prior to 10/1/13 or since, do not need to be registered.

This means all handguns that one would need to fill out a 77R for if buying today in MD. I'm, pretty sure this was the law before the FSA2013.

My thought is that said 10 year old Glock that was purchased out of state should be registered with MD State Police.

Bringing in long guns from out of state is no registration, unless they're on the ban list. Then you have more fun to deal with. If you have NFA items, you have even more fun.

Make sure you have your paperwork in order. Welcome to the Free Fee State, TylerART!

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    I also called the state police licensing department. The answer out there mouth was it's a voluntary registration.

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    first off welcome to the forums. second you did the right thing by coming here for questions. the whole problem started when you trusted what a walmart employee told you the problem was, I dont think walmart requires their employees to be ffls so asking them about problems isnt the best course of action.

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    Make sure you have your paperwork in order. Welcome to the Free Fee State, TylerART!

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

I am assuming nobody looked at the “Voluntary Registration Section”. The two contradict each other and cause much confusion.

The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute to be registered in the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (i.e., Firearm(s) that were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who has now established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

I am assuming nobody looked at the “Voluntary Registration Section”. The two contradict each other and cause much confusion.

The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute to be registered in the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (i.e., Firearm(s) that were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who has now established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

Tyler, this is true. Just below the section I posted from MSP is this one you bring up. It is in black and white, and in light of what you posted, all I can say is no wonder we can get confused of exactly what the law requires.

TylerART

May 10, 2016
    Tyler, this is true. Just below the section I posted from MSP is this one you bring up. It is in black and white, and in light of what you posted, all I can say is no wonder we can get confused of exactly what the law requires.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

I will most likely do the "free" registration, just to avoid any confusion if pulled over by law enforcement. Just because I know my rights does not mean the officer on duty will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom