• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The problem is a bunch of MDers wanting to change the gun laws fast is just what scares the left in MD. And as long as they will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Bill of Rights nothing is going to happen no matter who is the top dog in the state. The only way this is going to happen is if guns no longer become scary to the majority of Marylanders. The minds of the people (voters) have to be changed before anything will change the laws. Anyone here who does not see that is smoking something they should stop. It would be better if everyone on the forum started a "take a liberal to the range" program and showed them how much fun shooting can be. That is the only thing that can wake them up to the fact that the media's obsession with violence, including TV and news, is not reality in most cases. Changing the laws requires changing the people's minds and attitudes. Until that happens changing the laws won't happen. And whining about it ain't helping at all. You have to start at the bottom. Look at WV. The gun climate is different, its accepted. And when the liberals threw money at the politicians the real leaders said screw them and voted to overturn their crap. That ain't happening in Maryland. So if everyone on this forum takes one liberal a month to the range and gets them convinced that guns themselves are not bad, then by the next election we might have changed up a few hundred thousand people. That is how you get things done, not complaining on a forum. One of the biggest reasons I left MD for WV is I could see that very few had a clue as to how to change the climate. And I myself did not get a handle on it till I got on the outside looking in. Even before Tuesday start of no permit CCW you could sit in a McDonalds and see someone come in with open carry and no one batted an eye. Just try that in a fast food joint in Mon. Co., you would get at least a dozen people calling the cops saying there is a robbery or something.

Ernie B

Feb 26, 2008
    Middletown, MD
    photoracer,

While I'm a died-in-the-wool Conservative, a NRA Life Member, plus a few other such memberships that I won't go into, I do believe that your ideas have a lot of merit to them. Other places, other states, or whatever, it may be either easier or harder. However, when it comes to Maryland's Liberals, they are an entirely different breed and I agree with you that the very best way to changing their minds on something is to 'show' them that if they will try it, they'll like it. I believe it would be to our best interests if we would just proceed with your ideas.

Ernie

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    First, i reject the premise that guns amd the 2A are not mainstream in MD. that might be the case in the heavily gerrymandered areas of Montgomery and PG, but everywhere else it isnt true.

so if you want to "take a lib shooting" , by all means do so, but pick one from Montgomery or PG.

Secondly, the very best way to get those Montgomery And PG liberals to appreciate firearms ownership, is to introduce them the #1 urban/suburban useage of firearms, conceald carry for self defense. They have no use for hunting and long range shooting. And here in MD you cannot really "use" a handgun for its intended purpose. and we have the ability to change that.

By forcing the issue of the governor's authority to administer carry law, we would be taking "all the libs shootin' "all at once. It would be the single greatest introduction to firearms ownership the state has ever seen, and cross all boundries.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    First, i reject the premise that guns amd the 2A are not mainstream in MD. that might be the case in the heavily gerrymandered areas of Montgomery and PG, but everywhere else it isnt true.

so if you want to "take a lib shooting" , by all means do so, but pick one from Montgomery or PG.

Secondly, the very best way to get those Montgomery And PG liberals to appreciate firearms ownership, is to introduce them the #1 urban/suburban useage of firearms, conceald carry for self defense. They have no use for hunting and long range shooting. And here in MD you cannot really "use" a handgun for its intended purpose. and we have the ability to change that.

By forcing the issue of the governor's authority to administer carry law, we would be taking "all the libs shootin' "all at once. It would be the single greatest introduction to firearms ownership the state has ever seen, and cross all boundries.

A good indicator of firearm acceptance in PG would be the attendance and signups at, say, the MSI and (in the case of Bowiefest) the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club booths. MSI touted a successful presence in Laurel recently. I suspect (possibly thanks to OweMalley's excesses) the peasants are stirring...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

I largely agree, Maryland (for the most part) is a strong gun owner state, with a few exceptions, you mentioned two good ones. I've attended a couple very serious law classes on the right to self-defense that specifically covered Maryland, and I believe good people who truly act in self defense are still on good ground. I like your other suggestions too.

A good indicator of firearm acceptance in PG would be the attendance and signups at, say, the MSI and (in the case of Bowiefest) the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club booths. MSI touted a successful presence in Laurel recently. I suspect (possibly thanks to OweMalley's excesses) the peasants are stirring...

I've noticed this, the Bowie fest is a really big event now, and has been for the last several years. You see people from all walks of life, and quite a few politicians attend. It is very helpful if we support the pro-gun groups that have booths (MSI, and BRGC) and visit the politicians and politely talk with them about our feelings regarding gun ownership and the right to own and use firearms for all legal purposes. It's often difficult to get a meeting with a representative, but meeting them at events like these is usually very easy. Its very worth your time to speak with candidates who haven't been elected yet as well.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    To those who DO already have a Maryland CCW...

Thank the Governor...

Your renewals just got cheaper and easier...
    His signature on the line (HB312) says you're no longer required to submit new finger print cards for renewal of your permit.

Can we get an "amen" from the "Hogan ain't gonna do sh1t for gun owners in this state!" corner? ;)

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    The problem is a bunch of MDers wanting to change the gun laws fast is just what scares the left in MD. And as long as they will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Bill of Rights nothing is going to happen no matter who is the top dog in the state. The only way this is going to happen is if guns no longer become scary to the majority of Marylanders. The minds of the people (voters) have to be changed before anything will change the laws. Anyone here who does not see that is smoking something they should stop. It would be better if everyone on the forum started a "take a liberal to the range" program and showed them how much fun shooting can be. That is the only thing that can wake them up to the fact that the media's obsession with violence, including TV and news, is not reality in most cases. Changing the laws requires changing the people's minds and attitudes. Until that happens changing the laws won't happen. And whining about it ain't helping at all. You have to start at the bottom. Look at WV. The gun climate is different, its accepted. And when the liberals threw money at the politicians the real leaders said screw them and voted to overturn their crap. That ain't happening in Maryland. So if everyone on this forum takes one liberal a month to the range and gets them convinced that guns themselves are not bad, then by the next election we might have changed up a few hundred thousand people. That is how you get things done, not complaining on a forum. One of the biggest reasons I left MD for WV is I could see that very few had a clue as to how to change the climate. And I myself did not get a handle on it till I got on the outside looking in. Even before Tuesday start of no permit CCW you could sit in a McDonalds and see someone come in with open carry and no one batted an eye. Just try that in a fast food joint in Mon. Co., you would get at least a dozen people calling the cops saying there is a robbery or something.

You are dead-on correct. :thumbsup:

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore

Thank the Governor...

His signature on the line (HB312) says you're no longer required to submit new finger print cards for renewal of your permit.

Can we get an "amen" from the "Hogan ain't gonna do sh1t for gun owners in this state!" corner? ;)
    Hey gang, small victories. We didn't get into this mess overnight and we are not going to reverse in one election.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Flow Chart for those having trouble with DINO

2016_05_25_16_42_580001.jpg

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Thank the Governor...

I'll agree it's a step, although much like the shell casing requirement, this was really not needed. Whose fingerprints are going to change in 2-3 years?

So now when I go to renew at the end of this year it will only cost me $160 instead of $214.50.

Renewal training: $100
    Permit fee: $50
    Passport photo: $10 (Rite Aid 2 for $10. I know you can make your own but your time is worth something)

For that same amount of money I could have paid for eight people to get their PA permits.....:sad20:

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Renewal training: $100
    Permit fee: $50
    Passport photo: $10 (Rite Aid 2 for $10. I know you can make your own but your time is worth something)

For that same amount of money I could have paid for eight people to get their PA permits.....:sad20:

Honestly, the renewal training should be waived too if you've already been through it once...

I learned that the guy next to me who barely had a grouping got the SAME 100% score as I did and I had all my shots in the center "X" ring. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom