• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Updated:VEPR's 7.62x39 and other variants???

I asked this question and bumped an old thread in the industry partners section but didn't get a reply so ......

I've been looking in the $500 - $800 range for the best quality rifle (AR or AK preferably Kalashnikov type) I can get in my price range and I'm ready to buy.

I'm trying to stay away from Century Arms (WASR 10 quality issues scare me) but have looked into the M10's as they are all New parts. I've also looked at Arsenal AK47's.

Seems, for the money, I can get better quality in a Kalashnikov variant than an AR if I buy right in this price range. Also, I'm not an amateur gunsmith type guy like some who want to tinker with their AR rifle constantly rebuilding, tweaking and adjusting which is why I'm looking at the Kalashnikov variants. :innocent0 (ahem ... whistling past the AR guys) ;) Like to grab and go!

NOT trying to start an AK/AR squabble. Yes, I've looked at the Bushmasters Carbon & M&P15's. A possibility with the right deal. DO like HBAR's since they are cash & carry but gennerally out of my price range a bit.

++++> The Vepr AK 47 Rifle Russian Heavy Duty 762 x 39mm priced at $699 has caught my eye and this is mainly what I wanted to ask everyone. Looking at them on AtlanticFirearms.com. Love the standard styling and thumb-hole stock similar to the Russian tiger Draganov. The heavy duty barrel and receiver appeals to me for durability. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct967.aspx

I'm not a rich guy and lean more toward long term durability and reliability. I only want to buy one of these to round out my collection as a target rifle & a SHTF go to defense weapon. I already have a couple of pistols & several shotguns.

Anyone bought one of these??? What's everyone thoughts now that they have been out for a bit? Hows the trigger? Are there better trigger assemblies available? Also I'm considering some 'Tacticool' add-ons like Optics and a mag-light.

A negative - at least to me: My understanding is they do NOT take standard AK mags but can be converted? Are there hi-cap 30rnd VEPR mags available for these outside Maryland?

I'm way on the other side of the creek (eastern Shore) so most of the industry partners would be a haul. Takes me an hour and a half just to get to the bridge.

Maybe Clandestine or Nemesis can help straighten me out.

Thanks for all everyone does here on this site - I read here daily. I salute you! There is more firearms knowledge and experience on this site than any where else on the net.
    :party29:

Pardon my babbling but I get this way when I'm hedging a decision to purchase. :D

Last edited:

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    if you get a VEPR make sure you get one that takes HiCap mags. $800 will get you alot of AK, make sure you shop around

hmmmm .... yea! Ive been looking around and read there are those that have been pre-modifying them to fit standard 30 round AK mags. If the price is right I'll step there if not I'll be getting someone knowledgeable to convert it for me i guess.

The VEPR sure looks and sounds rugged.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Best AK made IMO.

DAYUM!!! Now that's an endorsement! I was hoping you would pop in and throw in your two cents.

Any idea about the conversion of the mag well to fit standard AK mags? That's my only stumbling block at this point.

Thanks guys for the help! I don't post much, I can't hold a candle to the knowledge and experience here so I remain generally quiet and read and learn.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    DAYUM!!! Now that's an endorsement! I was hoping you would pop in and throw in your two cents.

Any idea about the conversion of the mag well to fit standard AK mags? That's my only stumbling block at this point.

Why go through all that hassle?

Midcounty has a few already built up, ready to sale.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Why go through all that hassle?

Midcounty has a few already built up, ready to sale.

I'll be running home from work here shortly. Once I get home I'll see if I can get in touch with them and get a price. Might be worth the drive. :D Thanks Inigoes!

fivepointstar: Thanks I'll check that one out too! But, buying from Atlantic means shipping plus transfer.

It's all getting down to the wire and i'll be taking the $$$ plunge here soon.

hmmm maybe if I don't eat for a week I can ........

:lol2:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Thanks guys for the help! I don't post much, I can't hold a candle to the knowledge and experience here so I remain generally quiet and read and learn.

I mean it, they are thenicest AK you can have unless you want to pay someone like me to rework the gun, even then the VEPR will be more accurate compared ot most AK models.

Just get the model already converted for Hicaps, youll pay more to have a smith do the mods than buyig one already done.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad.....doest the VEPR take all the regular AK accessories ie stocks and Handguards? I don't like the thumbhole stock. I nice folder would great with this rifle

You can put a Midwest Rail ystem on the front but no, std fornuture will not fit. Suarez/Warrior Talk has sme angle mount hinges/stock he is making for these guns that allow you to put a nice sidefolder on them. They are sold out now but are in the works.

I hope to get one in 54r and see what I can do to make it a nice DMR.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I mean it, they are thenicest AK you can have unless you want to pay someone like me to rework the gun, even then the VEPR will be more accurate compared ot most AK models.

Just get the model already converted for Hicaps, youll pay more to have a smith do the mods than buyig one already done.

Thanks Chad - makes sense! I'll check with midcounty and see what they have in stock.

If anyone pops in from Midcounty - could you pop me a PM with a price. I'm mainly looking for the 16 1/2 inch barrel chambered 7.62x39.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Shopping wisely a $800 will get you a preban Norinco.

This is what I was going to say...

I love my VEPR, they are well-made guns and more accurate than any other AK I own. However, with the thicker parts comes weight. And they require some (not a lot, but some) basement tinkering to get them to accept AK mags and standard furniture.

You will want a gun that can feed from milsurp mags, which are built to last.

For the price, if you just want a well-made and durable AK then I'd recommend Chinese. These still have a thicker receiver but lack the beefier trunnion and slightly heavier barrel on the VEPR.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I just shot a PM over to midcounty looking for some pricing and asked also about a Norinco. I have read about the chinese quality and was looking on the auction sites for MAC90's and other Norinco models. I'm sure any of these will need 'some' tweaking bought brand new.

Brand new is a plus obviously. If im paying this kind of cash for an AK variant I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

Preban --- ummmm yea!!!! lol! :D Are they full auto? Not that that's a requirement but ..... wow! Would be cool!!!

I read somewhere that you had to re-register any full auto machine guns every year? Can't say I've run across the regs for that if true. Would this apply?

Again, thanks for everyones help!! You guys ROCK!!!! :party29:

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside

I love my VEPR, they are well-made guns and more accurate than any other AK I own. However, with the thicker parts comes weight. And they require some (not a lot, but some) basement tinkering to get them to accept AK mags and standard furniture.

For the price, if you just want a well-made and durable AK then I'd recommend Chinese. These still have a thicker receiver but lack the beefier trunnion and slightly heavier barrel on the VEPR.

Now that you've mentioned it I have looked online for MAK90's and Norinco's. I understand the weight issue and I'm willing to suck up to that for exceptional quality and long term durability.

Not really interested in most of the standard furniture classic ak conversion looks but will eventually want to get optics and a mag light for dressing. I'm more interested in the best functioning most reliable and durable weapon I can get in my price range. As long as it goes bang instead of click every time and shoots as straight as my ability provides I'm good with that.With proper maintenence I want it to last even if submerged in a ____ storm. The vepr's being new is a plus.

If the VEPR is already converted for standard mags then I'm nearly sold as long as I can hit my budget nut or less.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you want to tacticool it, then definitely consider that most companies selling handguards with rails or the ability to mount red dot optics design their products around standard AKM furniture. The VEPR doesn't have a front handguard retainer and will take some additional money/effort to accept standard furniture. Even the Chinese require you to file a bit of material away.

The Chinese also don't come with side rails if you want to POSP or scope it properly. They have doubled in price in the last 5 years, and you will be paying a premium just because they haven't been imported for a long time. But still a good value IMO.

If it's a foreign arsenal-made AK it is generally GTG. While WASRs do have less quality control, if it's your first AK and you want something that does what an AK was designed to do then really they are worth considering. Don't put a premium on new, or Chinese, or VEPRs, or even pre-bans if you just want a gun that works. All AKs built at foreign arsenals are built to last.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I agree with all below. Veprs are nice but the. Kind of niche ak you get after you have something more conventional. Lots of Norinco pre bans can be had like new for this price range.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    The MD2 vepr Atlantic sells takes most Hi cap mags, I was looking at those myself, The thumbhole and forend would have to go.

I have been also looking at the milled heavy barrel underfolder from kvar, but ths thing is very pricey, A guy can dream.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Shopping wisely a $800 will get you a preban Norinco.

I'm not seeing any in my price range. Not pre-ban. Did a search and find auctions where the bids will rise near auction close. Saw a lot that have already sold in the well over $1000 range.

Polytech prices are through the roof. Wow!

Can you point me in a better direction for these deals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom