• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Don't worry, you'll get that notification eventually...like next year. The new fiscal year and sequesteration are playing heavily on hiring right now. No one will openly admit it, but there's a lot of "we can't tell you if you'll be employed after the new year" going on.

Hang tight, use those bonds if necessary, apply for a contract position in the meantime. PM me if you need anything along those lines.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Found out this afternoon that at least one of the jobs I put in for has been filled. Would have been nice to get an email saying "no" as I have been stalling with some other folks.

There is supposed to be 4 points of contact during the hiring process.

1. Initial application acknowledgement
    2. Eligibility email
    3. Referral status email
    4. Selection status

That being said... most HR shops don’t follow this rule.

Sorry about your news, but don't worry - the selected candidate me be DQ'd upon investigation (happens a lot) and you may get called down the road. :)

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Found out this afternoon that at least one of the jobs I put in for has been filled. Would have been nice to get an email saying "no" as I have been stalling with some other folks.

When I retired from active duty, I applied to dozens of jobs figuring something would stick. Eventually it did, but I only remember 2 rejection notices. Keep at it, and evenitually you'll find something. Always address the KSA'a in the job listing on your resume.

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    My brother-in-law's a cardiac surgeon who was hired by the government to help with trauma patients in the field. He was hired after 8 months of waiting and once in the field got a letter saying 'Sorry, but we can't hire you because you're not qualified (He's a Yale and Harvard grad).' He has the letter hanging in his office as a reminder of the government's complete incompetence.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    What doesn't help is my VA rating (the guy guessed maybe 65% but told me to expect 0-50 to be safe) is not back yet. 5 point vet doesn't compare with the folks who scored really high too and have their 30 point disability in hand.

Lots of other shit sliding down the wall, we'll see which turds stick and go from there!

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I've worked with some good GS folks, but they are few and far between. Typically attached to the more mission critical job functions, but not always. The 80/20 Church work reference is spot on.

I'm a contractor now, no prior military, but extremely qualified from a technical standpoint for communications engineer related technical GS positions (12 years Exp, IA/Vendor Security certifications etc) and I never get qualified for shit. Yet I Have to train ****tard GS "engineer" counterparts that couldn't engineer toilet paper. These people have confirmed that they literally copied and pasted the Job description into their resume's to get their KSA hits and scored high enough to earn a job.

It's ****ing pathetic. These people would never cut it in the private sector or anything mission critical. They've made it to this point by scamming the hiring system, and they end up costing tax payers MILLIONS of dollars because of their complete incompetence. They cannot be terminated because their leadership fails to put forth the effort in documenting their failures. Also adding to the problem is that if you have an employee who's "Not working out" you can't simply fire them. Government Leadership has determined that, as a leader, you need to provide corrective action for 2 (TWO!!!!!) years before termination is an option, and god help you if you didn't document everything perfectly because even that can be appealed.

The answer is that these people are stacked up into entire non-mission essential organizations of problem employees. Leaders who can't effectively manage their problem employees promote them on to these orgs and by god I can only hope they are the first ones hit by the budget cuts.

Sorry for the rant. I've been doing this for a long time and I've seen some serious ****ing abuse of tax payer money that is deemed ethically acceptable because the rules are in place to allow it to continue happening.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Well, I said screw waiting for the jobs I applied for and start a contractor gig on Monday.

I love how that works. It takes 10 months to hire you as a GS but they can put you in the same position as a contractor in less than 2 weeks doing the exact same work.

20% of the folks to 80% of the inherently governmental work
    The rest is done by contractors.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    The easiest way to get into Government is to work as a contractor in an office and make your bones. They will pick you up as you are a known quantity. I see it all the time and that is how I got into gov a few years back. If I had open gov positions now I would bring several of the contractors on that are working in my office now. I know some think it is not fair but in the big picture it is in the best interest of the taxpayers and gov to bring on known qualified folks ahead of outside unknown seemingly qualified candidates. Just my opinion though.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    It takes 10 months to hire you as a GS but they can put you in the same position as a contractor in less than 2 weeks doing the exact same work.

And you get paid more! (The tradeoff is less stability, but with multi-year contracts and option years, it's not that bad unless budgets get cut.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom