• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    So what would you recommend I do to make myself "stand out"? I was hoping to get into the police to get my AA degree since you already come out of the academy with college credits and they have tuition reimbursement.

This is something I want to do. It's not just "oh hey, I need a job so I think getting into the police is the easiest". I'm willing to work for all this. He'll, I'm taking a pay cut regardless of what agency I go with

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I've been looking for the last couple years. I'm coming from the opposite side though. I have a degree, just was in horrible physical shape. It's a super competitive field right now. If you can get some college under your belt it'd be an advantage. Most agencies lean heavily toward folks with either military background or college.

you went to stevenson correct? I am in the same boat as you a degree just nee to get in shape

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Just going to nudge my way in here as a civilian and say I have never met, been pulled over or arrested by a MSP trooper that did not exhibit the utmost in professionalism, courtesy and sense of duty. I've known a few troopers in my life who were neighbors and family friends and I looked up to them as mentors, protectors and pillars of the community...went to school with their kids and my parents went to Colt and Oriole games with them...saw them come home to their families and saw a couple who had been shot at and some who'd been stabbed, nearly losing their lives. One of my trooper friends went on to be an aide to Gov. Willie Don Schaefer after having been pinned between two cars, breaking his legs in several places by someone intent on killing him while he was performing his duties in a pull over...you LEO's take a lot of crap from folks; I was just remembering the days when I was not so jaded and saw my neighbors get into their cruisers in a crisp uniform and hope they came home after a shift without any holes in them.
    To the topic of this thread; OP, I wish you well in your endeavor to find a position with a department and that these LEO's can help you in that quest.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Do some ride alongs as well to get a feel for the agency and what they expect.

I'd suggest doing a Friday or Saturday evening shift or midnight shift. This will likely be a bit busier.

But to get a true feeling of what the working world is also try to do one on a Tuesday or Weds morning or evening or even midnight shift if you can.

It's not all running and gunning and the amount of down time/paperwork might be an eye opener to some.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just going to nudge my way in here as a civilian and say I have never met, been pulled over or arrested by a MSP trooper that did not exhibit the utmost in professionalism, courtesy and sense of duty. I've known a few troopers in my life who were neighbors and family friends and I looked up to them as mentors, protectors and pillars of the community...went to school with their kids and my parents went to Colt and Oriole games with them...saw them come home to their families and saw a couple who had been shot at and some who'd been stabbed, nearly losing their lives. One of my trooper friends went on to be an aide to Gov. Willie Don Schaefer after having been pinned between two cars, breaking his legs in several places by someone intent on killing him while he was performing his duties in a pull over...you LEO's take a lot of crap from folks; I was just remembering the days when I was not so jaded and saw my neighbors get into their cruisers in a crisp uniform and hope they came home after a shift without any holes in them.
    To the topic of this thread; OP, I wish you well in your endeavor to find a position with a department and that these LEO's can help you in that quest.
    If you have to get arrested by some one, my vote would be by a Trooper :)

Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I live in baltimore county, I'd really like to get in with them, but they aren't accepting apps at this time. Just looking to be an officer at this time. I'm qualified for most agency's requirements. I know I can pass the physical tests, I'm in good shape. The written tests shouldn't be an issue and I have nothing in my past that would ruin my chances

I guess their big hiring blitz is over. A few months ago they were advertising like crazy about hiring new officers. Guess it worked.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Word is they picked up a lot of laterals from the city....

wouldn't doubt it. A good friend of mine started in the city, lateraled to the county, got blackballed in a "minority unfriendly" precinct, and is now looking to make another move.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Word is they picked up a lot of laterals from the city....

Not a lot...it was one lateral class of less then 20 people.

The last few classes have been "full" classes of new hires.

Baltimore County doesn't have "hiring blitz". They open the announcement and get more then they can process in a 2 month period. The "hiring blitz" is targeted recruitment effort to attract "diversity" for the department.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    A job title doesn't make you a police officer. Sorry.

I think what's being referred to here is that while you legally are a police officer with this agency, you won't be doing the kind of police work you're probably interested in. Not that you couldn't start there. But it is what it is.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Ummmm, they are a federal agency who have no powers of anything outside of work. They got nuthin'. Federal Building security guards.

Aren't they still "sworn" officers though? Can they carry off duty under LEOSA or the like?

There are a lot of those types around here. FBI Police come to mind, too. I ride by FBI and DOJ daily and really feel for those guys guarding the doors.

ONI out in Suitland is the same way. At least they had a compound to patrol and get to write a few tickets for running stop signs. I actually talked to a few of those guys before and several of them were retired cops from other areas. I guess after so many decades of being a cop it might be nice to just sit back and check IDs while earning a second retirement :)

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    There is always the Border Patrol if you can cut it. Lots of opportunities there for sure. Son was selected and went. Broke his leg in week 9 of training and did not go back.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Aren't they still "sworn" officers though? Can they carry off duty under LEOSA or the like?

There are a lot of those types around here. FBI Police come to mind, too. I ride by FBI and DOJ daily and really feel for those guys guarding the doors.

ONI out in Suitland is the same way. At least they had a compound to patrol and get to write a few tickets for running stop signs. I actually talked to a few of those guys before and several of them were retired cops from other areas. I guess after so many decades of being a cop it might be nice to just sit back and check IDs while earning a second retirement :)

So you have say NSA, CIA, FBI, Bureau of engraving, Supreme court, Pentagon and a host of other FED agencies who are in a weird "state of police". Pretty sure they qualify to carry under LEOSA. Before 9/11 I know the Pentagon police force could not carry. They had "home storage" for their pistols. Only carry to and from work for their shift. Many were like this. After 9/11 they were authorized to carry "off duty". I don't think the BEP union has negotiated a take home weapon policy yet.

In over 12 years I have dealt with and came in contact with probably every single federal type agent and police officer. Without getting specific, some are qualified to do a certain thing (on official travel or off) with a firearm. I have never had a professional contact with any NSA, CIA, FBI, Engraving, Pentagon, etc.... "weird" agencies officers. I can only assume it is because they do not "qualify" like us others.

Last edited:

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Anyone who went through the MSP academy, what is it like? Can anyone give me an idea of a typical day? Obviously I know its not an easy academy but im just looking for an idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom