• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've got a rather large collection of Enfield rifles, a fact that has been front and center recently as I've been updating my inventory list for insurance. One item that has eluded me for many years is a decent example of a BSA SMLE No1 MKIII* "Dispersal" rifle. The last example I had a shot at was back in 2008 at a local auction. But bidding was aggressive and I dropped out when it went above my personal limit. Had no clue that it would take another 7 years to find one!
    The name Dispersal comes from the action that BSA took in 1940 when their Small Heath SMLE factory was taken out of operation from numerous Luftwaffe bombing raids. BSA moved machinery and also subcontracted to many small manufacturers throughout England, in essence "dispersing" the production to make it more difficult for the Germans to interrupt.
    The most obvious sign that a SMLE is a BSA dispersal rifle is the intentional omission of "SA Co" from the "BSA Co" mark on the buttsocket. So all you see is a "B" mark. Just as the Germans used manuf. codes in an attempt to shield manufacturing information from their enemies the British stopped identifying BSA as the manufacturer of these SMLEs.
    I've got a 1940 dated L series BSA SMLE that was produced using commercial parts just before Small Heath was bombed so you can see the difference in markings. This one is a MKIII so it has the cutoff that was deleted from the M series MKIII* dispersal that I acquired.
    Both rifles were 90's Century imports, probably from Greece. The Dispersal came from today's Redding Auction and was soaked in grease, never cleaned since it went into storage.

Attachments

• IMGP7628.JPG
      IMGP7628.JPG
      31 KB · Views: 848
    • IMGP7630.JPG
      IMGP7630.JPG
      33.3 KB · Views: 976
    • IMGP7629.JPG
      IMGP7629.JPG
      83.2 KB · Views: 780
    • IMGP7631.JPG
      IMGP7631.JPG
      86.6 KB · Views: 929
    Jul 1, 2012
    Once again, Redding has been bery, bery good to you!
    Nice comparison shot of the markings.... devil is in the details.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Great find! These are some of my favorite rifles. Just ordered some surplus 303 from Midway for mine.

Congrats on your new acquisition!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    MDS' resident C&R whisperer strikes again! I love reading your posts. I always learn something new and get to look at some gorgeous firearms.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice... as usual I learn something new with almost all of your posts Mawkie. Gotta ask, did Redding know what they had or did you pick up on it through your own inspection?

If they did they kept it to themselves. Here's the listing for the lot...
    Enfield - Mod MkIII - 303 British Cal. Bolt Action Rifle w/Matching Bolt
    Funny, I was talking to a friend before the auction started and he mentioned coming for a 1941 Johnson bayonet but was disappointed to find it was a repop. He said that it was something you couldn't see in the photos and had to inspect in person. BTW, the auctioneers didn't know it was a repop and sold it as genuine. My notes say that someone paid $240 for it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I didn't even know they were still making No1 rifles in 1940. Thanks for the history lesson!

Small Heath in Birmingham was producing the No1 MkIII* until it closed in 1943 and all BSA production shifted to the new Shirley plant where they built the No4. Thus ended No1 production in the UK. The amazing thing is just how long that design went on in Australia and India. I've seen Indian No1s dated into the 70s and 2As into the 80s. Think that's gotta be a record that'll never be broken.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Once again, Redding has been bery, bery good to you!
    Nice comparison shot of the markings.... devil is in the details.

You can just make out the tiny Century import marks on the receiver. Ah the days when import marks were only as big as they needed to be and could be put in inconspicuous places as a kind gesture to collectors and preservers of history.
    There was one other lot that I lusted after but knew better than to dwell on as my funds just couldn't take the hit. It was a .22 gallery Krag rifle. A beauty that tugged on my .22 trainer heart strings. Lord knows what it hammered for. There was a National Match Springfield 1903 with a heavy barrel next to it on the table that was pure eye candy too. Very expensive eye candy! That one I would have to shoot, damn the risk. But I have my Ross Military Match rifles to play with so no crying over that one.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    The amazing thing is just how long that design went on in Australia and India. I've seen Indian No1s dated into the 70s and 2As into the 80s. Think that's gotta be a record that'll never be broken.

This I knew. I thought British production would have ceased in the 30s and entirely replaced by the No4. But I did know that the Aussies and Indians continued production through the war with the Indians producing it for the longest period. Incredible how long that rifle lived for.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I had 3 dispersal No1 MkIII's at one time. The one I still have was made in 1943. It has a beech stock set. It's an older import with no import marks. Interesting rifles. I also have a "peddled scheme" S.S.A. which was produced during WWI under a similar plan as the dispersal rifles.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Desperate people do desperate things! After all the material loss in France 1940 British arms makers were putting any and everything they could together from whatever was on hand. That's why you see so many No4 Trials rifles converted over to snipers. They weren't std pattern and in good times would have been relegated to who knows what. But after Dunkirk anything that could safely shoot was worth its weight in gold. BSA had the tooling and trained staff to build No1s and they had parts on hand, both commercial (like the 1940 dated L series above) and military.
    Reminds me of the movement in 1940 requesting US citizens to send arms and optics to Britain for Home Guard use. Best left for another thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom