• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    esqappellate: I applied already, but I don't think you touched on the main point. Everybody wants to apply; I feel sure of this. What is holding people back from applying is the intrusiveness of the telephone interview questions. Have you looked at what others have listed as the questions being asked? In my opinion, having other state permits, the MSP far exceeds in its depth the questions being asked by other jurisdictions. This is what causes others that would apply to pause.
    If anyone disagrees, then let's hear your honest opinions.

Agreed! The process is incredibly intrusive and quite offensively so. It is designed that way to discourage applications. I am surprised that the app doesn't ask for a DNA sample and require your first born to be sold into servitude. But MD is probably always going to be somewhat intrusive. It is the price of admission. Either bite that bullet or not. It depends on how much you want the permit. You can wait, perhaps a very long time in the hopes that the process becomes acceptable, or you can act now and walk the talk. My $.02 worth.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    esqappellate: I applied already, but I don't think you touched on the main point. Everybody wants to apply; I feel sure of this. What is holding people back from applying is the intrusiveness of the telephone interview questions. Have you looked at what others have listed as the questions being asked? In my opinion, having other state permits, the MSP far exceeds in its depth the questions being asked by other jurisdictions. This is what causes others that would apply to pause.

Having other state permits could relate to "suitability". If you already have permit/s from other states then you have already passed at least one background check.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Having other state permits could relate to "suitability". If you already have permit/s from other states then you have already passed at least one background check.

That makes a lot of sense. That doesn't mean it means squat to the MSP as common sense doesn't appear to be a evident consideration in this application process. I wish someone who knows could tell us that. I expect my VA CCW permit soon.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I just read the entire instructions for filling out the application and the application itself. "Intrusive" doesn't begin to describe it. By the last page, a blood sample, piss test and cavity search would not have surprised me.

Another thread asked what we planned to do if/when the state goes "shall issue": apply immediately, wait, or not apply; I said I'd wait, and reading the app has just hugely reinforced that decision.

To those of you going for it, here's hoping for a smooth, successful outcome. :beer:
    Agree 100%

Suitability? Really?

I am not attacking you mrjam2jab, just this whole process. I realize the same app is in play now as before Woollard, but EVERY question I read being asked in these phone interviews is BS. Do you pass the NICS check and print check? Here's your permit. Just like FLA (who has a training requirement where MD does not).

I applaud everyone who has applied and wish everyone the best of luck. For now I'm standing pat, will keep donating money to our cause, and hope MD is forced into changing the rules, the fees and the application.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Agree 100%

Suitability? Really?

I am not attacking you mrjam2jab, just this whole process. I realize the same app is in play now as before Woollard, but EVERY question I read being asked in these phone interviews is BS. Do you pass the NICS check and print check? Here's your permit. Just like FLA (who has a training requirement where MD does not).

I applaud everyone who has applied and wish everyone the best of luck. For now I'm standing pat, will keep donating money to our cause, and hope MD is forced into changing the rules, the fees and the application.

esqappellate: Need I say anymore than I did in my earlier post to you. This is a perfect example as to why fewer people will be applying for the MD CCW permit, albeit, lots will - just not as many.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    If the state did want to add some kind of training req't for CCW permitting, in effect they already do, you have to do their "online" training course to satisfy the handgun purchase req't already, and it is a basic handgun safety course. Takes about 20-30 minutes to do it online and you get a "card" you print out to provide to your FFL to pick up the handgun.

Va. requires a basic safety course. I did one back in 2000 and saved the certification, so that met the Va. req't. Utah requires a course taught by a Utah certified instructor. Not all states do, but alot do. Is that a bad thing? Not to me. Even though some people can get a drivers license, I wish they had to get some training, they drive like crap and are a legitimate public safety hazard. Okay, flame me for this paragraph, I expect it................

So effectively, if MD did try to "mandate" training for permitting, they already have that in place via online service which free, and that should meet their own regulation (if they were to mandate it I mean) as that is already in place for purchase in MD, atleast one would think.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012

Not so much I disagree, but *maybe*, the question about other states is one that makes them *feel* slightly more at ease? Kinda like my DD214 that shows honorable discharge, in other words, for that period of my life I was a good guy? I mean look at the handgun purchase permit process and wording. When you get it back, it is stamped "Not Disapproved". When I first saw that, I asked my FFL WTFDTM?

He said it is the conservative approach of maryland lawmakers and politicians such that the state "Is not approving" of you having a firearm as they do not want you to have one at all, but since you pass the background checks , they don't disapprove, to be politically correct in their liberal speak. Think about it, it they stamped it approved, then the state APPROVES of you having a firearm! Can't have that now can we?

Sad, but true. PC, liberal BS that a select few impose on the masses of honest, law abiding citizens who just want to defend themselves if the need arrises.

Personally, bring on the questions, I am ready to answer open and honestly and have nothing to fear. I also do not agree with them, but it is a game and I am ready to play. My app went in last friday as did a few for buddies I work with. GF and Boss pre-briefed as are my "references". Check not cashed yet, MSP hasn't called yet, but I can't wait to pass yet one more hurdle to the possiblity of adding my MD permit to my others in my wallet.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    esqappellate: Need I say anymore than I did in my earlier post to you. This is a perfect example as to why fewer people will be applying for the MD CCW permit, albeit, lots will - just not as many.

Yup, I get it. And I am not blaming anyone for deciding to wait. People have different levels of tolerance for BS. The downside is that they have no chance for a permit if they don't apply.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Maybe there are 81130 applicants!:D

My check hit my account finally. 81191 written on mine, lowest number I have seen in this thread was 81117? Sent my app in on the 9th, rcvd via tracking on the 12th, check cashed/hit account yesterday 16th.

No letter from the "backround' check folks in the mail yet and no phone call yet.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I got my stuff in very early.. and no call last week.. wonder if they are doing out of state differently!

Jmira: Mine was received by MSP on March 13. No check cashed or anything else.
    I don't know how they are handling out-of-state. Let me know if you find out.

Jmira: Mine was received by MSP on March 13. No check cashed or anything else.
    I don't know how they are handling out-of-state. Let me know if you find out.

Mine was received on the 13th as well and they jave not cashed my check or set up the interview and im a MD resadent im sure it's just like mr h said just a matter if keeping up with the load.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I got my stuff in very early.. and no call last week.. wonder if they are doing out of state differently!

Hmm. I have no inside information.
    My thinking tells me, considering the background check is against Maryland Databases, and also FBI databases. Maybe they also attempt to contact your home state? Additionally as an out of state application, maybe you submitted paper fingerprint cards which is holding it up some.
    I don't know that they prioritize(other than how much money is shown on your receipt of donation to democratic party), but I think just that maybe there is a little more involved with the out of state applications.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    My check hit my account finally. 81191 written on mine, lowest number I have seen in this thread was 81117? Sent my app in on the 9th, rcvd via tracking on the 12th, check cashed/hit account yesterday 16th.

No letter from the "backround' check folks in the mail yet and no phone call yet.

I thought I saw someone post they were like 8100x.
    I myself am 8118x only about ten before you.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    GBMaryland:
    I emailed Del Smigiel about it, he said to just put the allowed information and state that disclosure of the supervisor's name and phone number is not allowed per federal regulation.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    FWIW....
    I applied back in Aug 2011.....my "number" was 80105...you can do the math if you like,
    the number is your App.# (just in case it was not pointed out earlier......

As for the "interview", mine was FTF at the MSP in Pikesville.
    ESQ. nailed it when he said, "People have different levels of tolerance for BS. The downside is that they have no chance for a permit if they don't apply. "

As for me, I didn't care (and still don't) what they ask or why.....nothing could be worse than the Polys and BI encountered over on Ft. Meade at the place that does not exist, and I survived them for 33 years......

But mine was before "Legg" and Woollard..........by the way, MSP came back in November with "Disapproved", which is what I expected with the G&S...

Just sayin....
    R

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    FWIW....
    I applied back in Aug 2011.....my "number" was 80105...you can do the math if you like,
    the number is your App.# (just in case it was not pointed out earlier......

As for the "interview", mine was FTF at the MSP in Pikesville.
    ESQ. nailed it when he said, "People have different levels of tolerance for BS. The downside is that they have no chance for a permit if they don't apply. "

As for me, I didn't care (and still don't) what they ask or why.....nothing could be worse than the Polys and BI encountered over on Ft. Meade at the place that does not exist, and I survived them for 33 years......

But mine was before "Legg" and Woollard..........by the way, MSP came back in November with "Disapproved", which is what I expected with the G&S...

Just sayin....
    R
    Ah the Puzzle Palace. A truly strange place. Have you reapplied for a permit after the decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom