• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Hello, my wife and I am looking to take the HQL class, but this summer did not allow me much time to travel 50 plus miles each way, due to my work schedule. I am wondering if there are any classes in the Elkton/Cecil Co. area coming up soon? I owned a gun prior to 10-1-13, but I am not opposed to more training, plus helping my wife to feel more comfortable with the situation of being in a class for several hours.

Thanks for any help or information you can give me.

Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    A class? We didn't need to participate in a class since we purchased prior to 10/1. The paperwork was all done online, with the exception of getting our fingerprints done.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A class? We didn't need to participate in a class since we purchased prior to 10/1. The paperwork was all done online, with the exception of getting our fingerprints done.

You need training if you do not fit any of the exceptions. One of the exceptions is owning a regulated firearm prior to 10/1/13. The OP indicates his wife needs the training and figured he would accompany her even though he meets the exception of prior ownership.

One of the reasons my wife decided to become a gun owner in her own name before the deadline.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    That is correct Blacksmith101. I know that I do not have to take the class, but just helping my wife be comfortable in the half day class. I do not think she will have an issue with the shooting part of the class since I have had her at the range a few times and she has shot my guns too. Just trying find a place more local then having to drive 100 plus miles round trip.

Last edited:

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I do the HQL class at the AGC (Marriottsville, MD). It is a bit of a drive but can work around your schedule.

Thank you for your info. I will keep that in mind for sure. Just looking for classes closer, but does not seem like it is going to happen. If I do not find something I will look you up right after the holidays. My wife has been itching for a Ruger SP101 .357/.38 ever since she had one in her hand over the summer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Have you tried using the Instructor search function on the MSP website? Then start calling or emailing instructors, emails are listed when you click on the instructors name (there are 10 listed in Cecil Co.).
    https://emdsp.mdsp.org/verification/

There are two types of instructors either can teach HQL classes
    Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Licensed Qualified Handgun Instructor

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Thanks you Blacksmith 101. I have been on the MSP website before but never ran across the instructors list till I looked now. I will give that a try and send out a couple emails.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I knew a list existed because I had seen a copy on MDS during the 2013 battles so I went digging for it. The MDSP don't make anything easy or user friendly for gun owners in Maryland. Maybe Hogan will change the culture to one that SERVES the public better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom