• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's done every day. Buying them separately saves you from paying federal excise tax on the entire rifle.

anotherITguy

Feb 19, 2010
    Great, what kind of weight difference should I expect between a lightweight/typical barrel and an HBAR, generally. I know it can vary greatly.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you get a fluted HBAR, trivial weight difference. For 16" govt profile versus non-fluted HBAR, it's about 6oz, maybe 8oz. Not a big deal. For lightest weight, get a 14.5" fluted HBAR with pinned/welded flash hider or brake.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I will add a piece of caution that isn't supported by law, precedent, or anything other than personal opinion.
    Per a private discussion with a few knowledgeable people. The advice was that the flutes should not be cut deeper than .750" so that the barrel profile no matter where it is measured is greater than .750". This arbitrary measurement is based off of the M16A2 which had a thicker (heavy according to Colt literature) barrel profile forward of the handguards.
    Caveat emptor, your mileage may vary, and I'm not a lawyer.

That said I don't have the money or time to fight a lawsuit over a few extra ounces.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Caution is warranted. There is no law about it. It's based on very vague regulation that can change on a whim at a moment's notice, retroactively. The state will assume your guilt until you prove your innocence. Granted, Hogan might be a fly in their ointment, but there's still the turd in the punch bowl named Frosh.

anotherITguy

Feb 19, 2010
    I will add a piece of caution that isn't supported by law, precedent, or anything other than personal opinion.
    Per a private discussion with a few knowledgeable people. The advice was that the flutes should not be cut deeper than .750" so that the barrel profile no matter where it is measured is greater than .750". This arbitrary measurement is based off of the M16A2 which had a thicker (heavy according to Colt literature) barrel profile forward of the handguards.
    Caveat emptor, your mileage may vary, and I'm not a lawyer.

That said I don't have the money or time to fight a lawsuit over a few extra ounces.

So the safe route would to get a non-fluted?

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    The only safe route is to live outside MD in Free America

YUP! :party29:

C'mon down south. I saw a full hanger of 40rd AR PMAGs and 25rd .308 PMAGs in the ACE hardware store today while my wife was filling out her 4473 for a new CCW gun. We both have our permits.

Haters, you may proceed.

'MERCA!!!

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009

Attachments

• P1010599.jpg
      P1010599.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 152

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads