• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    After yesterday's performance on the range by everyone that participated I really didn't think it could get much better. At days end we had 8 of 10 participants earning Riflemen (3 were requals) 4 being Distinguished with one Perfect 250.

Today we had 9 on the line and by days end ALL 9 had earned Riflemen for the weekend! and for a second time my Nephew scored a Perfect 250!

Thanks again to the instructors and to the other participants.

Read BeSwift's AAR http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=43591.0

Photos can be found here. www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Appleseed-Maryland/264406060313831?fref=photo

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    After yesterday's performance on the range by everyone that participated I really didn't think it could get much better. At days end we had 8 of 10 participants earning Riflemen (3 were requals) 4 being Distinguished with one Perfect 250.

Today we had 9 on the line and by days end ALL 9 had earned Riflemen for the weekend! and for a second time my Nephew scored a Perfect 250!

Thanks again to the instructors and to the other participants.

Read BeSwift's AAR http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=43591.0

Photos can be found here. www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Appleseed-Maryland/264406060313831?fref=photo
    My understanding is the first round is 10 rounds staning in 50 or 60 seconds correct?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I have a question about the upcoming Appleseed in Bowie.

In my previous two Appleseeds, both days have been rimfire at 25 yards. The first day included some time to sight-in the scope. As I recall the second day assumed the sights were good to go, and that section was skipped to allow more advanced training & shooting.

At the upcoming Bowie Appleseed, the first day is rimfire and the second day is centerfire, at 25 and 100 yards respectively. Will there be a short opportunity to sight-in the centerfire rifle the second day? The reason I ask is that I have my AR-15 sighted-in at 50 not 100 yards, as to date that is the longest range to which I've had access (MSAR).

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

In my previous two Appleseeds, both days have been rimfire at 25 yards. The first day included some time to sight-in the scope. As I recall the second day assumed the sights were good to go, and that section was skipped to allow more advanced training & shooting.

At the upcoming Bowie Appleseed, the first day is rimfire and the second day is centerfire, at 25 and 100 yards respectively. Will there be a short opportunity to sight-in the centerfire rifle the second day? The reason I ask is that I have my AR-15 sighted-in at 50 not 100 yards, as to date that is the longest range to which I've had access (MSAR).

Each shoot I have been to has included sighting in on both days. You never know if a rifle scope got bumped during transport to and from the range.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    We always start the second day on sighter squares. It is very common for the students to "make improvements" to the rifles between the 2 days. :)

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Only 3 tickets left for this coming weekend's Project Appleseed Event in Bowie, MD.

Project Appleseed 2014 Tour is coming to Bowie, MD

Berwyn Rod and Gun Club, Inc
    8311 Laurel-Bowie Rd, Bowie, MD 20715
    Marksmanship and History Events
    November 29-30, 2014
    Events start at 08:30. Please arrive early to allow time for setup and sign in.​

Heritage
    • The Debt We Owe To Our Forefathers
    • The Duty We Owe To Our Posterity
    • The Story Of Our Nation`s Birth
    • The Lessons Of April 19, 1775.

Marksmanship
    • New Shooters - Learn fundamentals and make quick progress
    • Experienced Shooters - learn new techniques
    • Experts - polish skills and become an RWVA Instructor in Training
    • Master the Riflemans Quarter Mile

Project Appleseed is a nationwide program that teaches rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation and reconnects Americans with the people and events of colonial America. Participants are taught skills that allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards using a standard rifle with iron sights. This ability is traditionally known as mastering the 'Rifleman's Quarter Mile' and is an American tradition that has been part of this nation from its very first days. So join us and hear some little-known Revolutionary War history, reaffirm your heritage, and make America a better place.

Sunday will feature the use of centerfire rifles out to 100 yards.

Learn More, Find Directions and Register at:
    www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=544

For more information contact: MD State Coordinator MD@appleseedinfo.org or PublicEvents@berwyn.org

If the tickets should sell out, please contact us as there can be options for walk-on same-day registrants.

Local laws: Guns and ammo should be kept locked & separate. Transfer of magazines with over 10 round capacity is illegal, Check State Laws.

Sponsored by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501(c)(3) organization

hank440

Apr 8, 2009
    MikeCEE

Thanks for the use of the range for this past weekend's Appleseed, I had great fun. The cool WW2 weapons display was a really neat bonus THANKS :party29::party29::party29:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    My sincere thanks to the great instructors, range safety officers, and helpers at this week's Appleseed event in Bowie. After two previous Appleseeds, I finally qualified for Rifleman not once but twice, thanks to the great instruction of the Appleseed staff.

And what a great time we had too. The other two events were all rimfire at 25 yards. This time we could bring centerfire the second day and we shot at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. I knew the ballistic trajectory of my AR-15 would change across those varying distances, but it was enlightening to see first hand just by how much. Learning the characteristics of my rifle, adapting appropriately and successfully for each successive distance, all while under the demanding challenges of the Appleseed AQT was tremendous fun, and a tremendous learning opportunity for us all.

After 3 Appleseeds, it still amazes me the commitment the instructors have to teaching us all. I know they're all volunteers. Giving up an entire weekend, and doing that over and over and over again, is amazing. I can't thank you all enough. And we all owe you a lot; we're in your debt.

My thanks also to Clandestine, who helped me select the right AR-15 components, built my upper, and tuned it for me to be a sub-MOA rifle. It showed. Alas the gun is better than the shooter, but the two of us together under the training of Appleseed were sufficient for me to earn my Rifleman.

Also, I can finally get my daughter off my back, who qualified her first time out. And she has never let me forget that either. :)

Appleseed Rifleman e.jpg

The history lessons are outstanding too. I've heard them now three times, and each time is well worth the time spent. Honestly as much as I love the shooting, I love hearing about the sacrifices our Founders made at Lexington and Concord to give us the Liberty that we enjoy today.

Oh, one final comment: Mike - I owe you for lunch. PM me with your contact information and I'll be sure I get the money to you. Thanks for running out for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom