• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Anyone notice the new signs put up on Rt. 1 coming from the Hickory Wawa toward 24?

Theres a few big black signs that say something along the lines of Turn headlights on because of oncoming traffic or be fined. Doesn't make sense to me because 22 has just as high speeds, one lane each way and doesn't have those signs up.

My bro told me its probably because of the turn lane that cuts across to 23, I think its called Water Tower Way. I've almost hit people that were turning because they pull out right in front of me, having headlights on doesn't help with drivers who are idiots and have bad judgment.

Just sounds like another revenue trap for the pirates to sit at.

What I'm wondering... what is the law (if any) that allows them to ticket you for not having headlights on? Would the charge be failure to obey traffic control device?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Anyone notice the new signs put up on Rt. 1 coming from the Hickory Wawa toward 24?

Theres a few big black signs that say something along the lines of Turn headlights on because of oncoming traffic or be fined. Doesn't make sense to me because 22 has just as high speeds, one lane each way and doesn't have those signs up.

The same signs are posted on MD 32 for the stretch between I70 and Clarkesville, and have been for at least several years. That portion of the road is almost all two lane, bounded by trees almost to the shoulder on both sides at some points, and has several slight curves. I think it's a precaution so that oncoming traffic will be more visible to people attempting to make a left turn or pass slow moving vehicles.

I'm not familiar with Rt 1 in that area, maybe the conditions are similar?

Just sounds like another revenue trap for the pirates to sit at.

What I'm wondering... what is the law (if any) that allows them to ticket you for not having headlights on? Would the charge be failure to obey traffic control device?

I've been driving that way 2x daily for years. There have been more than a few times I've passed an officer with radar on in that stretch of road during daylight hours and I looked down and noticed I had forgotten to turn on my lights. I've never been ticketed for it.

I think it's more of a sensible precaution/preventative measure than a revenue trap.

The light and speed cameras in Mo.Co, OTOH ---- :mad54::mad54:.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    My reason for it being a trap is that the road hasn't had those signs up for the past 10 years when the bypass was put in, but now they put the signs up.

There have been fatal accidents further down the road where it is 2 lanes in each direction and no median. I'm surprised they don't put some form of median on the Rt 1 bypass between 24 and the detention center, a small concrete barricade would work.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Those signs are all over various 2 lane roads with oncoming traffic, 32 in western Howard county, and 90 heading into OC being 2 examples I know have had them for years. The signs were more popular nationwide in the days before day time running lights where visibility was essential with oncoming traffic separated only by a double yellow line and having a closing speed usually 100mph or more.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I run lights & fogs on my Yukon whenever it is not perfectly bright and sunny. I still get cut off, people turning in front of me, etc. This thing might as well be a school bus for how big it is and about once a week some idiot misses it.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I saw the signed yesterday for the first time, coming off Rt 24 onto the bypass. I don't know why they are black, perhaps to contrast the yellow letters?? I agree, if people would get off thier f*cking cell phones and just drive the roads would be alot safer

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I lived in HoCo growing up off Linden Church and 32, just north of the intersection of 108. (which was a T intersection with a stop sign when my family moved there). The headlights sign has been on the stretch from about 108 north to at least 70 since at least the mid 90s or so, possibly earlier. They're also on a black background.

I don't recall encountering any accidents on that stretch of 32 in all my time living there. There may have been one or two that just escape me (spent about 13 years there) but I don't recall it as being a 'dangerous' road, like many other of the more 'backroad' intersections that were redesigned because of too many accidents. Using your headlights isn't an inherently bad idea, but there was no reason or evidence to make a law about it on that stretch as far as I could tell.

That said, even as a staunch libertarian (as Phantom Patriot knows IRL from meeting a few times at rallies), this doesn't totally offend me as a local ordinance. Statewide legislation, sure, but if the local community wants to do something kinda dumb to themselves, well, this is pretty inoffensive by my standards. HOA's have done far worse to their residents. Perhaps that's easy to say though because I never once saw or heard of this law being enforced whatsoever. Of course, the seat belt laws weren't really supposed to be 'enforced' unless other infractions were involved, and now it's practically probable cause for a search, so believe me, I'm with you on the slippery slope argument. I just never saw that at all over a period of many years in that area.

I don't agree with it, but it's still at the bottom of my very long list of stuff I disagree with. If they started hassling drivers over it, it would move up pretty quick.

rich96c4ce

Nov 22, 2009
    A.A.
    It is simply to help reduce crashes and their consequences. Rt. 404 and 90 on the Eastern shore are posted for mandatory headlamp use. BTW, headlamps use is mandatory anytime it is raining or your wipers are on. Why, same reason: increase the noticeability of vehicles in use. That is also why so many vehicles are built with Daytime Running Lamps. These are not Federally mandated, but many of the vehicle manufacturers want their customers to be safe (so that they can buy more vehicles.)

I saw the sign today. It's probably in response to a fatal head on collision that occurred within the last two years. The family members wanted a divider installed. Instead, the road was grooved down the middle and along the shoulders and now this silly headlight zone. Headlights would not have prevented the fatal accident. It is just a feel good measure at the expense of anybody that get ticketed.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They should have done it along the whole Bypass 30 years ago. That section of the Bypass down by Bel Air has always been notorious for head-on crashes, and rightfully so. It's one of the worst designed high-speed roads I've ever seen. Even back in the 80's when I was a volunteer with BAVFC everybody equated the terms 10-50 and Bel Air Bypass with Fatal. For all the money the state pisses away resurfacing roads that don't need to be resurfaced you would think they could put a jersey wall up there. Maybe it was the accident last year where the whole family from Parkville was killed there that spurred them to do something more, I dunno.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    Its all about money not safety. That section of road is no more dangerous than Jarrettsville pike or any other 2 lane road. People need to remove their head from their ass and drive instead of talking on the phone,getting dressed,watching tv,putting on makeup,eating and playing with themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom