• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Steve-what's the material you put in the pellet stop box you showed me? Duct seal or something like it?

My youngest shoots her feinwerkbau air rifle in our basement into a pellet traps I she can practice her 10m standing event. Her rifle shoots at 700 fps and as you can see, the pellet barely penetrates the material

3ajamu8e.jpg

This trap is made by archer air guns and takes a target available from pyramid air. The target is a bit wider than most targets. National target makes then and uses the same bullseye dimensions as the competition targets; just puts them on wider paper at Archers request.

jaqamu4a.jpg

The pellet trap is made of wood and has 12 pounds of electricians duct seal (aka monkey poop) in the back to absorb the pellets energy.

I put a double layer underneath the sighter bulls eyes and it gets daily use with out issue. At some point, I'll remove/replace the duct seal and she will keep on practicing.

Apr 16, 2014
    Hello Shooters:
    Me and another Army buddy want to get into Pellet rifles. We have seen videos of hunting smaller game with them, like chipmunks, rabbits and groundhogs. Does Maryland allow pellet rifles for pest eradication? And does anyone have these pest that would like a few to be taken out from their property. I have shot a few ground hogs on a farm in VA because the farmer said their dens are dangerous to his cows. On that land we were using 22-250's and 7mm-rem mag. Over kill, but we just wanted to shoot at some greater distance.

Killing pest through rifles is not a good idea at all. Though it may kill them, but this kind of solution won't last longer. Furthermore, My brother worked for brooklyn pest control for years. Yet never seen him using Pellet rifles.

In my opinion, most of the families prefer the traditional pest control method rather then killing them through guns.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    As near as I can tell the ballistol soaked into the seals allowing for a much tighter fit between gasket and piston, which I believe may have been leaking before.

After the first shot there was literally smoke or vapor wafting out of the muzzle and the report was MUCH louder than the previous times I shot the rifle.

This is called "dieseling" and it is caused when oil comes in contact with super-heated air. It is hot enough to burn the oil, sometimes there is smoke and it may cause a detonation. Not good, this can harm the gun and cause other bad things. Use air gun oil only and check out this link if you are interested:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/05/what-does-dieseling-mean-part-1.html

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    You can take down a groundhog with a pellet gun??

I can see a squirrel or rabbit...especially if you're accurate enough to get the head, but groundhogs strike me as being a little too big for an airgun.

You need to used something with a good bit of power, like a .22 cal. spring piston gun or a precharged pneumatic. They have a good deal of horsepower. In some states, larger caliber guns are used to shoot deer and other big game animals. Not legal in MD of course, surprise, surprise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom