• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Apparently, without much fanfare, Larry Hogan pushed aside another Mike & Mike pet in favor of what is right.

Maryland needs more change than just our new Governor in my opinion. There needs to be a serious cleanup of the corruption in Annapolis.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Maryland is trying to remove the "stigma" of being a felon. I believe whole heartedly in second chances, but you have to earn trust.

This veto is good for our society.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am sure it has nothing to do with trying to dig out of the massive debt Owemalley left for Hogan to deal with.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I was disappointed about this too - but MD govt loves money and hates the constitution, so this is a 2-fer.

It's not the MD government.

It's the PD's colluding with the feds, so they can keep a greater portion of what they seize.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    It's not the MD government.

It's the PD's colluding with the feds, so they can keep a greater portion of what they seize.

Not true except for a few bad apples. Most people do not understand asset forfeiture except for the spin they hear in the mainstream media. My department has some very strict guidelines when it comes to asset forfeiture. I personally have seized large amounts of currency during the course of an investigation/traffic stop due to the overwhelming evidence of its link to narcotics distribution and sales. This was also after speaking with one of detectives. On the other hand I have had investigations/traffic stops where I have encountered large amounts of currency and have cut the person loose after a short interview due to the facts supporting the currency was earned legitimately.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not true except for a few bad apples. Most people do not understand asset forfeiture except for the spin they hear in the mainstream media. My department has some very strict guidelines when it comes to asset forfeiture. I personally have seized large amounts of currency during the course of an investigation/traffic stop due to the overwhelming evidence of its link to narcotics distribution and sales. This was also after speaking with one of detectives. On the other hand I have had investigations/traffic stops where I have encountered large amounts of currency and have cut the person loose after a short interview due to the facts supporting the currency was earned legitimately.

Which federal entity does your agency/department coordinate with, when assets are seized?

That is what I was referring too, not the guy in the field.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    The NRO article states that the veto can face an override attempt in the GA. My question is, can that happen at this point? The session is over and only the governor can call the GA back for a special session. Does the GA have the right to vote to override the veto next session?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The NRO article states that the veto can face an override attempt in the GA. My question is, can that happen at this point? The session is over and only the governor can call the GA back for a special session. Does the GA have the right to vote to override the veto next session?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Veto Power: The power to override a veto rests with the legislature. If a bill is vetoed during a regular session, the veto message is considered immediately. If a bill presented after the session is vetoed, the veto message must be considered immediately at the next regular or special session of the legislature, except that the legislature during the first year of a new term may not override a veto. A three-fifths vote of the elected membership in each house is necessary to override a veto.

http://dls.state.md.us/data/libandinfser/libandinfser_docandpub/Legislative-Process.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom