• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Looking to change out the barrel on one of my MK III 22/45s. Anyone know where I can get a 2" threaded barrel for it? Or is 4" threaded the shortest I can get?

Is 2" too short? I am planning on running a 22Sparrow or maybe a Tactical Solutions Axiom can on it.

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Duffy's can cut and thread your barrel to any length you like.

It is difficult to actually change the barrel on a Ruger .22 Mark pistol. Many of the "barrels" sold are actually barrleed receivers, so are the actual firearm legally (77R, HQL , and 7 day wait).

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Here is what I have now. Don't want the picatinny rails anymore. Rather have iron sites and make it a little lighter. This is a first gen MK III 4.5" threaded barrel 22/45. Cannot use the optics anymore because of eye surgery I had a while back. Cant use red dot sights anymore.

Attachments

• mk345_sparrow.jpg
      mk345_sparrow.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 400

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Cannot use the optics anymore because of eye surgery I had a while back.

A friend at Stoney Creek was trying to talk me into joining the pistol league but said everyone uses red dots. He whipped out a 38 super with a Nikon red dot.

I had lasik 15 years ago and am getting a cataract. The lasik was done twice because I was over corrected first time around.

The red dot was like a long waisted figure 8 running from 10 to 2 o'clock.

My eye surgeon thinks either could be the cause and has a test in mine when I return. I'm not having either surgery just so I can see a red dot. I did have my non-dominant cataract removed 2 years ago. The red dot is a single dot in that eye. YMMV

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yeah I had Reductive Eye surgery on both eyes and a lot of other stuff done. Great as it lets me drive without glasses and I can buy cheap reading glasses at Target and I am good. Sucks is looking through a red dot sight and it looks like a bunch of weeds instead of a dot.

Dave

haroldspeakx

Jul 13, 2015
    A friend at Stoney Creek was trying to talk me into joining the pistol league but said everyone uses red dots. He whipped out a 38 super with a Nikon red dot.

I had lasik 15 years ago and am getting a cataract. The lasik was done twice because I was over corrected first time around.

The red dot was like a long waisted figure 8 running from 10 to 2 o'clock.

My eye surgeon thinks either could be the cause and has a test in mine when I return. I'm not having either surgery just so I can see a red dot. I did have my non-dominant cataract removed 2 years ago. The red dot is a single dot in that eye. YMMV

Now that's funny- I had my lasik at a laser surgery centre in Stoney Creek called See by Intravision ( http://seebyiv.com ) lol

Mine went right the first time, but I did have dry eyes and irritation for the first week as expected. I'm happy with the results though.

haroldspeakx

Jul 13, 2015
    Yeah I had Reductive Eye surgery on both eyes and a lot of other stuff done. Great as it lets me drive without glasses and I can buy cheap reading glasses at Target and I am good. Sucks is looking through a red dot sight and it looks like a bunch of weeds instead of a dot.

Dave

You need to get that looked at. I've had friends who had RES and shoot bulls eye with red dot sights.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    You need to get that looked at. I've had friends who had RES and shoot bulls eye with red dot sights.

The folks that did the surgery were suppose to be the best in the world. Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Had Redactive Lens surgery, Cataracts removed and torn retinas repaired on both eyes. All three procedures done on each eye one eye at a time.

Probably nothing they can do. Besides I am really an open sight kinda guy. I have a Henry 1860 I can hit 4" standing clay pigeons at 100yds no scope. :D

Dave

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Barrel is the receiver on the Ruger. For the cost of what you want done, its probably cheaper to just go get a 22/45 Lite. About 1/3 lighter, still threaded, w/ iron sights.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Barrel is the receiver on the Ruger. For the cost of what you want done, its probably cheaper to just go get a 22/45 Lite. About 1/3 lighter, still threaded, w/ iron sights.

Yep, I went and did that. But, now I have this other, first gen 4.5" threaded barreled MK III 22/45, that I need to either change to iron sights or get re-done somehow. Don't really want to sell it. My thought was to use it as an experimental parts gun. Try different stuff on it and see how it works. One thought is putting a 2" barrel on it and see how it works with my 22Sparrow. :D

Dave

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Gotcha. A competent smith can cut the barrel down, thread, and fit the receiver/bbl for sights. Wont be cheap. Again, I don't think you can just get another barrel. The receiver and the barrel are one piece on most (all?) of the factory rugers mks. You have to chop the orig one down and re-machine if you want to use that one. I know there are some aftermarket receivers that are 2 pc but you say you want to play with that one.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Gotcha. A competent smith can cut the barrel down, thread, and fit the receiver/bbl for sights. Wont be cheap.....

I was looking at just adding a rear sight dovetail for a Ruger. I found that just that part was not worth doing. Better off selling it, buying a new one and dealing with the barrel cut/front sight. I was not able to come up with someone do to the rear sight within reason.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gotcha. A competent smith can cut the barrel down, thread, and fit the receiver/bbl for sights. Wont be cheap. Again, I don't think you can just get another barrel. The receiver and the barrel are one piece on most (all?) of the factory rugers mks. You have to chop the orig one down and re-machine if you want to use that one. I know there are some aftermarket receivers that are 2 pc but you say you want to play with that one.

It was not that expensive to have it done on my 22/45.

Duffy's did the work.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

Yeah I know the upper half of the Ruger MK series are pretty much all one unit and registered. I was hoping someone, like TacSol, made a shorter upper than 4". But, I cannot seem to find anyone that has one already made so, I guess I will send this puppy out to a local smith to get cut down and threaded.

Can always buy another 4" upper if I want to go back.

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Give us some idea of what you did and how much it cost.

I had them shorten the barrel to 4.5", thread for suppressor, and reinstall front iron sight.

I am not home to check the invoice, and I had other work done on another firearm at the time. But when I get home, I will check.

Of course someone could call and ask. :)

They did nice work.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I had them shorten the barrel to 4.5", thread for suppressor, and reinstall front iron sight.

I am not home to check the invoice, and I had other work done on another firearm at the time. But when I get home, I will check.

Of course someone could call and ask. :)

They did nice work.

Ah... I was more interested in the rear sight installation. For some reason, this seems like a rare thing to do. I see I misunderstood your reply.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry, I also misread your post.

Not sure why putting in a rear sight dovetail would be that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom