• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I'm looking at the Kidd single stage vs. two stage trigger units. Is the two stage worth an extra $90-ish? I'll be using it to punch paper at the range, no competing.

I googled it and the reviews seem to like both of them (it seems Kidd can do no wrong). I am an average-skilled, do-it-because-it's-fun shooter. Thoughts?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you have any experience with two stage triggers? For just an average trigger(and better than average trigger), I prefer a two stage. There are more knowing shooters here who will be able to help you choose. I'm interested in hearing other's views here.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For long range precision or 'timed fire' a two stage will exhibit an advantage. For fast fire I haven't determimed any advantage to the two stage. Others will differ and that is where personal preference comes in. I personally prefer the single stage trigger.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    For long range precision or 'timed fire' a two stage will exhibit an advantage. For fast fire I haven't determimed any advantage to the two stage. Others will differ and that is where personal preference comes in. I personally prefer the single stage trigger.

Good to know, thank you. The range rules where I shoot mandate a 1-second pause between shots, so no fast fire here.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I prefer 2-stage for precision work and single-stage for home defense/fast trigger. How much it really matters, I don't know. As a comparison, I called Geissele when I was looking for a trigger and they agreed with my initial statement.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD

I like the two stage for more deliberate work, but prefer the single stage for fast work like steel matches.

Last edited:

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I have the lightest 2-stage Kidd trigger, 3oz/3oz. It's absolutely ridiculous (in a VERY good way).

I think it really just comes down to a trade-off of weight vs creep. Two-stage triggers can be lighter without compromising safety, but do so at the expense of having the 'creep' of the first stage. I'm probably grossly oversimplifying all the nuances, but that's roughly what it comes down to.

A single stage might be 'better' for fast fire, but for the vast majority of folk, I would think one wouldn't even notice the extra creep of a two-stage.

I'd be inclined to think it's better to 'default' to a two-stage trigger unless you have specific needs for the single stage, e.g. needing the fastest trigger possible above all else. Which isn't what most people want or need.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My RRA Std A2 has a two stage trigger. You have to really focus to feel it. I fast shooting you don't notice it, as mentioned by the previous. Same as with a Colt I used to have. First stage was gritty but in fast fire it wasn't a hinderance.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A quality two-stage is fine for sport shooting. Stick with a quality single-stage for a SD/HD rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have the lightest 2-stage Kidd trigger, 3oz/3oz. It's absolutely ridiculous (in a VERY good way).

I think it really just comes down to a trade-off of weight vs creep. Two-stage triggers can be lighter without compromising safety, but do so at the expense of having the 'creep' of the first stage. I'm probably grossly oversimplifying all the nuances, but that's roughly what it comes down to.

A single stage might be 'better' for fast fire, but for the vast majority of folk, I would think one wouldn't even notice the extra creep of a two-stage.

I'd be inclined to think it's better to 'default' to a two-stage trigger unless you have specific needs for the single stage, e.g. needing the fastest trigger possible above all else. Which isn't what most people want or need.

Don't confuse 'creep' with slack. They are two different things. Two stages have slack or take-up. Singles (the bad ones), tend to have creep. IMHO.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My RRA Std A2 has a two stage trigger. You have to really focus to feel it. I fast shooting you don't notice it, as mentioned by the previous. Same as with a Colt I used to have. First stage was gritty but in fast fire it wasn't a hinderance.

...it's almost like cycling a revolver...almost

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    2 stage if you want to do precision shooting, single stage if you want to compete in speed shooting. I personally use a Timney drop in, which is a single stage, with which I use to compete with. Don't currently have a Kidd. However in other rifles I have 2 Jards which are like match triggers, plus AR triggers from Geissele, JP, Timney, and RRA. Although, to be honest, the Geissele Super 3-Gun, which is a 2 stage, is about as fast shooting as you can get in a trigger because the second stage feel is adjusted out of it compared to say an SSA or SSA-E.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Single stage triggers generally have very little travel and can be fire quickly. Two stage triggers allow you to stage the trigger a bit and reduce some trigger errors in precision shooting. For a two-stage, you press into the trigger to take up the slack and to break the sear you only need to overcome the small additional weight of the second stage. Basically if you have a 4 lb two stage with 3lbs in the first and 1lb to break, it allows you to use the 3 lbs taking up slack to get rid of any trigger errors that would move the gun off-target...then it gives you the feeling of a 1lb trigger as you only need to apply a small increase in pressure to fire the gun.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I'm now up to four Kidd single stage triggers, all ordered at 2.5lbs to be like my bigger precision rifles. I see no need for a two stage for anything I'm involved in. One of my 10/22's is a guaranteed penny killer at 75 yards with a Kidd 2.5lb trigger and expensive ammo. A Kidd single stage is a very nice trigger with zero slack/creep/takeup or any other detriment and you won't be disappointed.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Thanks for all the replies, I learned a lot. Here's a pic of the rifle as it stands, I have a Kidd 18" stainless bead blasted barrel on order and am going to go with the single stage Kidd. I'll post another pic when it's done.

1ab8a907c5d0b5f66594c0834b1f4434.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kidds 2 stage is to get light without compromising sear engagement. There is a video of how it works on the net. That whole first stage is secondary sear engagement. Then you feel the resistance of the second stage, and it has imperceptible creep. You end up with what can be a light field trigger if you choose. You could never get a single stage to pass a bump test and be as light and safe as the 2 stage.

So yes, depending on your use and likes the 2 stage can be well worth the 90 bucks, because it can do what the single can't. I had a supergrade and currently have 2 other guns with 2 stage triggers, they definitely have their place. You can woods a bench capable 2 stage, but you are not very likely to be able to safely woods a bench setup single.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you have never fired a quality 2 stage trigger, find someone that will let you shoot theirs. Compare before you buy anything, if it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom