• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I know an older gentleman who is looking for ways to get a little extra money in his pocket. He's in his late eighties and lives on a limited income. He picks up a lot of aluminum cans which he crushes and turns in for scrap. For the last few months I've been collecting spent brass from the range, which I find in the trash. He took about 10 pounds to the recycling place and they gave him something like $0.40 per pound. They told him they'd give him over a dollar per pound of the brass was de-primed. Is there a way he can remove the primers from a bunch of different calibers of brass without buying a press, a universal primer and a several shell holders? He doesn't have the money for that kind of thing. He's up to challenge as it gives him something to do, but hasn't figure out a way to do it yet. I suggested an ice pick or something similar and tapping them out. He said he tried that and couldn't knock them out. I think he also had a problem finding the indentation in the bottom of the case. Anyway.... any suggestions I can pass on to him would be appreciated.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The "Lee Loader" hand loading kit comes with simple tools to remove primers but they cost around $20 which is a bit much for just punching out primers.
    All you really need is a small punch like a nail with a narrow tip, a hammer, and something to set the case on that allows the primer to fall down when you knock it out. A regular vice would work.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I might have an old Lee something laying around here that will work. Let me look around tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I will donate it if I find something.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    I would tell him to find a new scrap yard I'd have to check but i think scrap is a little but north of 2 or maybe $3 a pound without having to deprime

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I had some military cases a while back that I couldn't deprime on the press because it kept pushing the rod out.

I took a piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole big enough to fit the case in about a 1/4 inch into the wood and then drilled a smaller hole (large enough for the primer to fall through) all the way through. I was able to set the case in the bigger hole and use an ice pick like thing to knock out the primer which fell through the smaller hole and into a trash can the 2x4 was set across. I would think that if you base the small hole on a little larger than a large rifle primer you should be okay.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I had some military cases a while back that I couldn't deprime on the press because it kept pushing the rod out.

I took a piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole big enough to fit the case in about a 1/4 inch into the wood and then drilled a smaller hole (large enough for the primer to fall through) all the way through. I was able to set the case in the bigger hole and use an ice pick like thing to knock out the primer which fell through the smaller hole and into a trash can the 2x4 was set across. I would think that if you base the small hole on a little larger than a large rifle primer you should be okay.

This sounds like a cheap and effective idea. Maybe use a punch? I would suggest a Harvey Deprimer but they are $49 and could be to hard for his hands.
    Also, I think Cont Arms told me they sell their brass for around $2.35/lb to a recycler so it sounds like he's getting hosed.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    How about separating them by caliber and selling them. Seems much less time consuming and more profitable then de-priming and scrapping them.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    How about separating them by caliber and selling them. Seems much less time consuming and more profitable then de-priming and scrapping them.

I thought about telling him that initially, but he really doesn't have a network of people to do that sort of thing. He's not a shooter. With MD Shooters I have the network but, I don't want to get involved to the point where I'm doing it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Worth much more as sorted range pickup brass than scrap. He doesn't need a network just a note posted on the bulletin board at the range with a phone number or a mention in an appropriate place on a shooting forum with a phone number. He can always sell whatever remains for scrap. If he makes a little money he could buy some brass sorters from Midway to make the job easier.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...m-luger-40-smith-and-wesson-45-acp-3-bowl-set

+1 on the Lee decapper simple and easy.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    Some brass can be worth a lot of money, especially with most of the ammo makers only producing the common calibers. If he has a bunch of uncommon hard to find brass, or brands like nosler, weatherby, or norma, some of that stuff can go for 50 cents to a dollar per case. I think selling the brass would be a lot more profitable and a bunch of good brass doesn't just get turned into scrap.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some brass can be worth a lot of money, especially with most of the ammo makers only producing the common calibers. If he has a bunch of uncommon hard to find brass, or brands like nosler, weatherby, or norma, some of that stuff can go for 50 cents to a dollar per case. I think selling the brass would be a lot more profitable and a bunch of good brass doesn't just get turned into scrap.

This, and some calibers bring a fair amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom