Proving there are good finds at every show!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    While the 10 tables of socks were interesting :lol2:, I preferred to check out the C&R possibilities on Saturday at the Timonium show.

After being underwhelmed by the very high pricing on most there, but still not wanting to leave empty handed I checked out the crate and rack of 91/30's on the far left wall (The Gun Merchant). The crate was filled with standard $129.99 91/30's, nothing too exciting, looked to be all Ishvesk's which I already had. The rack on the other hand was listed as pre-WWII dates, with serial matching bayonets and accessories for $135. I looked for a few minutes and ended up with a 1934 Tula Hex, the only Tula on the rack, and a hex which was also on my wishlist. I didn't pay much attention to the other markings at the time, paid and made my way home. After some cosmoline removal I began to scrutinize the markings more closely, and found the triangle with a "1" above to the right of the Tula star. East German DDR which were lent and later returned to the USSR. Makes a nice unique addition to my collection.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Also unique, the last digit in the date is re-stamped as a 4 over what appeared to be a 3 originally. If anyone has a possible explanation for that I would be interested to hear.

Attachments

• 1934Tula.jpg
      1934Tula.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 602
    • 1934Tula2.jpg
      1934Tula2.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 603

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Timonium show

Mark,

It's nice to hear when someone finds a Diamond in a Gravel Pit, It's a shame theTimonium show has such a poor reputation, but the fact is the Show is not one of the best.

I too have spent many hours walking a few sparse tables with a compelling need to buy something, anything but coming away empty handed.

It's nice to see someone walk away with a nice piece of History.

Ed

Also unique, the last digit in the date is re-stamped as a 4 over what appeared to be a 3 originally. If anyone has a possible explanation for that I would be interested to hear.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mark , good pick up. I have done alright at the Timonium shows over the years. Best find was this Type 44 Japanese carbine a couple years ago. While MD shows are far from the best I usually find something to haggle for.
    The best Md gun show is coming up in March, the Baltimore Antique Arms Show at Timonium.
    T44002.jpg

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Have seen the overstamp several times, usually the barrel was stamped when manufactured but sometimes not assembled into a rifle until the next calendar year.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    thats a great find! and people say going to the show wasnt worth it.:)

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Nice find. From what I can tell, the 1 in the triangle is a quality rating, IE; 1, 2 or 3 - 1 being the best.

Not sure why it is overstamped other than someone forgot that it wasn't December 31, 1933 and it is now January 1, 1934.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Beautiful. I'll prob be castrated for this but I'm not a huge fan of Mosins. There I said it. I don't understand the hype behind them. That one however is good looking. BUT. I said the same thing about the sks's a couple of years ago and now I like them more than my AKs. I guess tastes change over time. By the time I start liking them they will prob be $300+

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Beautiful. I'll prob be castrated for this but I'm not a huge fan of Mosins. There I said it. I don't understand the hype behind them. That one however is good looking. BUT. I said the same thing about the sks's a couple of years ago and now I like them more than my AKs. I guess tastes change over time. By the time I start liking them they will prob be $300+

Well I can say if nothing else they

1.Are ultra cheap considering.

2. A very real link with world war 2

3.A tremendous kick makes them fun to shoot even if only a couple of times.

4. Great way to get a freind interested in your hobby/obsession.

Of course they are not the best rifles out there but what a heck of a good way to start. Buy one now put it in closet come back in 10 years lol.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Nah we'll save the castration for those more deserving :rolleyes:.

My collection includes Milsurps of all nationalities from the first 3/4's of the 20th Century, modern sporting firearms, modern "assault weapons", handguns both with practical and non-practical purpose, and delicately built tactical long range rifles capable of parting flies and their wings at great distances.

What fascinates me about each type of firearm is it's place in history. The Mosin Nagant has been fighting in wars globally for over a century now and probably will continue to do so for the next century as well.

The longer you collect and shoot, the more open you will become to the fascinating experiences that can be had with the firearms of history. For me, it's a fun ride that I'll never stop.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Nah we'll save the castration for those more deserving :rolleyes:.

My collection includes Milsurps of all nationalities from the first 3/4's of the 20th Century, modern sporting firearms, modern "assault weapons", handguns both with practical and non-practical purpose, and delicately built tactical long range rifles capable of parting flies and their wings at great distances.

What fascinates me about each type of firearm is it's place in history. The Mosin Nagant has been fighting in wars globally for over a century now and probably will continue to do so for the next century as well.

The longer you collect and shoot, the more open you will become to the fascinating experiences that can be had with the firearms of history. For me, it's a fun ride that I'll never stop.

Well said!

The East German 91/30 is a great find, congrats. You're lucky to own such a unique peice of history.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Pretty cool. I bought my first Mosin from The Gun Merchant also. I didn't know what markings to look for and after I got it home and did a little research I found it was DDR 1 stamped as well. Whenever I go to a gunshow I take great pleasure in searching through piles of refurbs looking for "oddballs". Nice find and happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom