• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    towson
    GETTING AN AR 15 BUT DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD BUY I OR BUILD IT. I HAVE NEVER BUILD ONE PRETTY MUCH IF I DO BUILD IT I BE DOING MY ON RESEARGE

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or for the price of the complete rifle , buy either 8 stripped lowers , or three complete lowers . Finish eventually as funds allow, or as insperation strikes.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    had the same dilemma as you not too long ago

i decided to go with build. this will be my first ar, too. i was able to find parts that fit my budget and i like to tinker so i figure it'll be a fun learning project.

if you decide to build too, put priority on getting a lower reciever. it's the part considered the actual firearm and you won't be able to get any in md after oct.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm all for building, but I recently purchased a factory build because I wanted at least one quality AR build from a reputable manufacturer in my private arsenal. I went back and forth between Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Noveske... but ultimately decided to go all out for a KAC. Will most likely buy at least one more pre-built AR in .308 as well. Building is very enjoyable, and there's a certain level of satisfaction that goes along with shooting a rifle you put together yourself. Building also allows you accumulate parts over a period of time, allowing you to find some good deals, which can be more forgiving on your wallet.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    GETTING AN AR 15 BUT DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD BUY I OR BUILD IT. I HAVE NEVER BUILD ONE PRETTY MUCH IF I DO BUILD IT I BE DOING MY ON RESEARGE

If your spelling and grammar skills are any indicator of your mechanical abilities you might as well buy a complete one and save yourself the headache. Visit some shops and see what they have in stock.

Have you ever held or fired one before?

I've bought a complete Colt and have a few lowers in the vet ready to be built. Take your time and do your research. Buy once, cry once.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Since when has the mastery of the English language made someone mechinally minded? I doubt the correlation between the two is even measurable.

His point was made and understood, so I'd say his language skills are just fine.

To the OP, even if your English was as bad as is being implied, and even if English skills were at a 1.00 correlation with mechanical ability, building a lower requires very little skill (I have furniture that was harder to put together and required more tools). As long as you have two fairly functioning hands and an eye ball you'll have no issue putting one of these together (you could get away with one hand and a well adapted foot, but likely wouldn't want to build your first one without sight).

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I bought 2 lower receivers and built one already. I am definitely learning how it goes together, and how it works. Very cool. I bought mine for the main reason of being able to afford and obtain before Oct. 1, but since I started it this way, I am glad I did.
    Gonna build a standard battle rifle and one for long range. Just not sure exactly how yet. :) And I'm also contemplating whether or not to purchase a complete upper, or build it myself.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Buy a fully assembled gun, take it apart and reassemble it and you'll be good!

There are a few in the classifieds.

J/k.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Do both. Come OCT 1 you will be out of options if you don't act now. I bought a S&W 15 ORC as my first, and have a Stag lower waiting for release that I'll build out once I decide on what I want it to be. Probably a longer range higher caliber but could just be another 5.56 with different furniture. I'm more into having a range of firearms of all calibers rather than an arsenal of 5.56/.223 ARs. But there are a lot of people taking their finite $$$ and buying as many lowers as they can afford and assembling the rest at leisure later as resources permit.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    just buy it. its easier and your not saving much $ building it plus you have to deal with the hassle of waiting for parts to go on sale, picking out parts etc.

if you want to learn your weapon you can take it apart and put it together a bunch of times which is essentially the same thing you'd be doing building from peices.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Buy 2-3 stripped lowers. Build one to start, then buy a complete upper. If you like it, then buy the tools to build the upper next time, as they are the most expensive. You can get away cheap with building the lower. But then after Oct 1st, you will have 1 complete rifle, and 2 more ready to go, either way you choose.

Yes, you can build the upper without having to buy all the proper tools, BUT, it is sooooo much easier, and better to have them. These can easily run you about $150 or more. Unless you can borrow them, or rent them from someone.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    After building out a couple of lowers i doubt i could go back to buying complete rifles that i would probably spend more money on customizing anyway. I say build and get what you want in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom