• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Holy thread Resurrection, Bayman!!
    I live in Monkey County. What is defined as an "urban area"?
    I know Brighton Dam road and south of it is in the urban zone. My friend has a farm on the NORTH side of Brighton Dam RD! GTG!! :) (still no FMJs, though)
    There's a map somewhere which tells you the boundries. AND - BB gun = bow= shotgun = bad news.

Braxtonian

Dec 10, 2010
    Greencastle, PA
    From maryland code, criminal law, title 4, subtitle 2

4-201. Definitions.

c) Handgun.-

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

(e) Rifle.- "Rifle" means a weapon that is:
    (1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and
    (2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

So, it would appear the language is vague for a bb or pellet pistol, but a "air" rifle is not a rifle because it doesn't uses explosives to discharge.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    IANAL, but I was under the impression that bb guns and pellet rifles are *NOT* firearms. There is no gunpowder, thus no "fire".

MoCO law defines gun and "firearm" to include air guns.
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgtmpl.asp?url=/Content/countyatty/charter.asp

Code Sec. 57-1 DEFINITIONS
    Gun or firearm: Any rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic.

So, technically, that blue plastic nerf gun is illegal to shoot in your yard.:tdown:
    The MoCO Moonbats think that is a "feature," not a "bug."

As for "Urban Area," that is also in the definitions section:
    Urban area: That part of the County within the following boundaries: Beginning at a point where the Maryland/District of Columbia boundary line in the County intersects with the Maryland/Virginia boundary line on the southwest side of the Potomac River; running then northwest along the Maryland/Virginia boundary line to the emptying of Watts Branch into the Potomac River; then northwest along the northeast side of the Potomac River to the emptying of Seneca Creek into the Potomac River; then north along Seneca Creek to Route 112 (Seneca Road); then east along Route 112 to Route 28 (Darnestown Road); then northwest along Route 28 to Route 118 (Darnestown-Germantown Road); then north along Route 118 to Route 117 (Clopper Road); then northwest along Route 117 to Little Seneca Creek; then northeast along Little Seneca Creek to Black Hill Regional Park; then along the eastern boundary of Black Hill Regional Park to the Park's southernmost intersection with I-270; then northwest along I-270 to Little Seneca Creek; then north along Little Seneca Creek to West Old Baltimore Road; then east along West Old Baltimore Road to Route 355 (Frederick Road); then south along Route 355 to Brink Road; then southeast on Brink Road to the Town of Laytonsville; then along the northern boundary of the Town of Laytonsville to Route 420 (Sundown Road); then east along Route 420 to Route 650 (Damascus Road); then southeast along Route 650 to Route 97 (Georgia Avenue); then south along Route 97 to Brighton Dam Road; then northeast along Brighton Dam Road to Route 650 (New Hampshire Avenue); then south along Route 650 to Route 108; then east along Route 108 to the Potomac Electric Power Company transmission line property; then southeast along the east side of the Potomac Electric Power Company right-of-way to Route 198; then east along Route 198 to the Prince George's County/Montgomery County boundary line; then southwest along the Montgomery County/Prince George's County boundary line to the Montgomery County/District of Columbia boundary line; then along the Montgomery County/District of Columbia boundary line to the beginning point.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It's comforting to know I live in a state where lawyers and politicians devote time and energy to battling the pressing issues (definining firearm, nearby, urban...and telling me where I can shoot the fiream they have so graciously allowed me to own).
    This must mean they have solved those petty issues of investigating and punishing violent criminals and responsible spending in government.
    Thank God...now I can sleep at night.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    This post is old and I found it on google. If wasn't for my job and family initially, I wouldn't moved from va to here. Took a pay cut, more expensive housing and way stricter gun laws. So those of you have a choice to chance, move out of this La La land

genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    Here is a file that a friend of mine sent me on MoCo weapons laws. I had the same concerns and wanted to verify if it was ok to shoot on my property. It's got a map of what is considered "urban area". Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Weapons-Law-Summary.pdf
      958.9 KB · Views: 232

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    The law is a pain in the butt. Although I am just north of Briton Dam Road, I am about 100-125 yards from my neighbors so I cant shoot squat. Stinks because deer are all over my yard in the winter and spring. I have nothing but a massive field In front of me and I can shoot down into the ground from my barn if I needed, but because houses are too close behind me where I wouldn't even be aiming it is a no go. I hate the rules, but and thinking of trying to figure out a way to build a legal range under my barn. It is open on one side and the other three sides is a stone foundation with dirt behind. Perfect backstop considering the other houses are also uphill to me.

I have only been there a year and have never met a neighbor. I will have to tread lightly to see if they are into guns and then if I get permission I will be ok. Sucks I live in the sticks and still can't shoot.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    In Harford County, other than a range, you can't legally fire a pellet gun ***ANYWHERE***. There aren't any ranges in Harford County that allow pellet guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom