• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Based on info learned in another thread (thanks again, Nate!), I am strongly considering the sale of my LE-surplus Colt M4 SBR. I know that this will be a complicated process for me and for the prospective purchaser.

I wanted to clarify the process. Is the following correct? After the agreement of sale, I would transfer the firearm to a Class 3/Title II FFL of mutual acceptance, and the FFL would then complete the sale to the purchaser.

I would appreciate confirmation/correction from any IPs or other members with experience in this so that I can list the ad properly.

Thanks in advance!

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Do it yourself. Fill out 2 form 4's and send them in. Get CLEO sign off if not using a trust or corporation. It's easy and not an issue. This is for an in state sale. Out of state involves a form 3 transfer to FFL and the process with the form 4 starts again with the new buyer.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Do it yourself. Fill out 2 form 4's and send them in. Get CLEO sign off if not using a trust or corporation. It's easy and not an issue. This is for an in state sale. Out of state involves a form 3 transfer to FFL and the process with the form 4 starts again with the new buyer.

It would be a Form 4 to the OOS dealer, tax paid to get it out of state

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Based on info learned in another thread (thanks again, Nate!), I am strongly considering the sale of my LE-surplus Colt M4 SBR. I know that this will be a complicated process for me and for the prospective purchaser.

I wanted to clarify the process. Is the following correct? After the agreement of sale, I would transfer the firearm to a Class 3/Title II FFL of mutual acceptance, and the FFL would then complete the sale to the purchaser.

I would appreciate confirmation/correction from any IPs or other members with experience in this so that I can list the ad properly.

Thanks in advance!

PM sent.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Yes... it would be just like transferring a handgun. However, I would wait until Oct. 1st since the handgun roster requirement will be null-and-void at that point. Make sure you fill out the 77R-2B (SBR-SBS Addendum), along with the rest of the 77R packet of BS.

I guess I've been living under a rock....what?!

I can't find my clapping angry cat so this will have to do:

yes-rudy1.gif

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes... it would be just like transferring a handgun. However, I would wait until Oct. 1st since the handgun roster requirement will be null-and-void at that point. Make sure you fill out the 77R-2B (SBR-SBS Addendum), along with the rest of the 77R packet of BS.

Although I haven't lived in MD for the past 3 years, I believe you're thinking of the spent shell casing requirement. I try to keep up with MD laws and I don't think the handgun roster is going anywhere.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Short Barrel Rifles will not need authorization from the handgun roster board starting Oct. 1st. I didn't mean all "normal" handguns. My post was in context to this thread's subject matter, which is in-state SBR transfer. Calm down fellas.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Short Barrel Rifles will not need authorization from the handgun roster board starting Oct. 1st. I didn't mean all "normal" handguns. My post was in context to this thread's subject matter, which is in-state SBR transfer. Calm down fellas.

Gotcha. I misunderstood. Like I said, I've been out of the People's republic for 3 years :D

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Thanks to all who weighed in. But - wait. So this needs to do both steps?!

1 - Form 4 from buyer, wait months for approval.
    2 - THEN take it to MSP for the transfer; wait an additional 8 days?

That seem a little dicey to folks? That's a long time to hold on to what will be someone else's property. Money AND a firearm I can't, in good conscience, use. This begins to feel like more bother than it's worth to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom