• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    not to be a hater, but 2 miles is not 'nearly impossible'

if I recall we had a sniper kill at twice that range using a gerry-rigged M2 BMG with a scope taped onto it

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

if I recall we had a sniper kill at twice that range using a gerry-rigged M2 BMG with a scope taped onto it

It was 2500 yds and the sniper was Carlos Hathcock. He mounted a Unertl scope on an M2. The current record for the longest sniper kill is held by a British sniper. 2474 meters~ 1.7 miles.

edit: The British sniper was Craig Harrison using an AI L115A3 in .338 Lapua Mag. 2707 yds.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Carlos Hatchcock, but that was a 2500 yard shot - with a M2 Browning.

50bmg914.jpg

Which is still damn impressive, M2's aren't known for having "Match grade" chambers.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    While it is impressive, I would bet that many of us here could pull it off as well if we had the same equipment (rifle, scope, ammo, spotter etc.), a range to practice shots at that distance, and unlimited practice. I'm not saying that I'm a S.E.A.L. Delta Green Beret Ranger P.J. Marine Force Recon sniper...I'm not. I'm jut saying that if more people were afforded the opportunity and access to the equipment like that, more people would be accomplishing it. What would be most impressive is if he or anyone could pull that short off with a store bought Remington, Savage, Ruger, Tika, Winchester, etc. hunting rifle equipped with a scope that the poor man can afford and shooting factory or even reloaded ammo.:)

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    It was 2500 yds and the sniper was Carlos Hathcock. He mounted a Unertl scope on an M2. The current record for the longest sniper kill is held by a British sniper. 2474 meters~ 1.7 miles. edit: The British sniper was Craig Harrison using an AI L115A3 in .338 Lapua Mag. 2707 yds.
    This ^^^

Gunny Hathcock made most of his shots alone, sometimes with a spotter, using basic gear that's pretty primitive today (Remington 70, I think, and that same Unertl scope). The NVA General he hit from about 1500 yards, taking two days to crawl into position and equal time to extract while Charlie was walking right on top of him? He's a USMC legend for good reason!

The new breed with wonder guns and amazing high tech, yes, those guys are amazing too. But White Feather - Semper Fi. Gunny, Semper freakin Fi!

Sent from my mobile excuse the types pleasde!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    This ^^^

Gunny Hathcock made most of his shots alone, sometimes with a spotter, using basic gear that's pretty primitive today (Remington 70, I think, and that same Unertl scope). The NVA General he hit from about 1500 yards, taking two days to crawl into position and equal time to extract while Charlie was walking right on top of him? He's a USMC legend for good reason!

The new breed with wonder guns and amazing high tech, yes, those guys are amazing too. But White Feather - Semper Fi. Gunny, Semper freakin Fi!

Sent from my mobile excuse the types pleasde![/QUOTE

Gunny Hathcock used a Winchester model 70 and later on, a Remington 700.

As a side note, Chuck Mawhinney's rifle was found to be still in service back when I was shooting at Quantico. The armorer who built my M40A1 rebuilt Chuck's rifle with original parts and it is now on display at the museum.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It was 2500 yds and the sniper was Carlos Hathcock. He mounted a Unertl scope on an M2. The current record for the longest sniper kill is held by a British sniper. 2474 meters~ 1.7 miles.

edit: The British sniper was Craig Harrison using an AI L115A3 in .338 Lapua Mag. 2707 yds.

I thought the record was held by a Canadian? Maybe I heard wrong.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Gunny Hathcock used a Winchester model 70 and later on, a Remington 700.

As a side note, Chuck Mawhinney's rifle was found to be still in service back when I was shooting at Quantico. The armorer who built my M40A1 rebuilt Chuck's rifle with original parts and it is now on display at the museum.

Argh! Winchester is what I meant, wasn't sure if the Remmy had gotten into service yet for Gy Hathcock. Thanks for fixing that :)

And, 1646 - very cool, I need to get down to the museum one of these days (still haven't been there, and it's been open *how* long?) I was just a radio rock, I'm guessing you were on the team as well as having the MOS?

Semper Fi, brother!

Sent from my mobile excuse the types pleasde!

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I thought the record was held by a Canadian? Maybe I heard wrong.

A Canadian took the lead very early on in the War in AFG, then another Canadian got a guy another <100 yards out and held the record until 2008-2009 when a Brit pushed everybody down a notch, yet again in A-stan. I don't know what the Canadians are doing, but they've produced some amazing long distance shooters in the past 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom