• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    If you don't mind

First, So I spent the weekend at a hunting camp in PA with some good friends this weekend just to clean up, make repairs, and do some shooting in private land. Sold a PSA upper to a friend that I had exactly 20 rounds thru. He had a couple issues with it and after running a mixed can of different steel cased ammo he got one spent case really jammed in the barrel and it wouldn't budge. I am attributing it to the mixture of crappy ammo and him running it a bit dry anyway. Think I'm accurate here?

Second, the group is mostly made up of older fellas and their sons and they started a bragging rights only 22lr competition a few years back. They made it specific to "vintage pump action 22lr rifles only." I've shot semi and bolts in it since I don't own a pump but my scores don't count and I want to get in on the sh!t talking with these fellas.

I shot a couple Winchester pumps and they were great but they seem pricey and fairly hard to find. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    If you don't mind

First, So I spent the weekend at a hunting camp in PA with some good friends this weekend just to clean up, make repairs, and do some shooting in private land. Sold a PSA upper to a friend that I had exactly 20 rounds thru. He had a couple issues with it and after running a mixed can of different steel cased ammo he got one spent case really jammed in the barrel and it wouldn't budge. I am attributing it to the mixture of crappy ammo and him running it a bit dry anyway. Think I'm accurate here?

Second, the group is mostly made up of older fellas and their sons and they started a bragging rights only 22lr competition a few years back. They made it specific to "vintage pump action 22lr rifles only." I've shot semi and bolts in it since I don't own a pump but my scores don't count and I want to get in on the sh!t talking with these fellas.

I shot a couple Winchester pumps and they were great but they seem pricey and fairly hard to find. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!

I asked Brennan for you, he said PSA has had some quality control issues, so it could be more of an issue, but he'd clean it good and try running it wet with good ammo.

And he laughed and said good luck finding a pump .22 for a reasonable price.

Tell Fey I said Hi :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you don't mind

Thanks!!

Rossi pump? But they are bringing close to what a Winchester will these days. I was thrilled to get two for $600 from a member here almost 2 years ago. Now they are sitting at $400 to $500 each. A lot of money for gallery guns, as handy as they are.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Duffys. has/had a 572 for 450 I think. Good looking gun from the pics. I wanted it but bought a model 10 instead.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    So we need to find the most accurate pump .22lr in the world so you can take the bragging rights. I don't even know where to start on that request.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Was the ammo lacquered finished? I have heard the Russian steal ammo has some pretty gummy lacquer and if quickly fired will get stuck in the chamber.

Taurus 62 or Rossi 62 will be your best bet. Unless it has to be a C&R pump, then Winchester.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Rem 572 is probably your best priced entry. Slide action .22"s are collectible and the Winchesters have gone up in price.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hey Now....don't forget the old Remington Model 12.....12A pump. I picked one up a few years ago to restore, but, took it apart and spent much time trying to clean the barrel out. Been sitting since...hahahaha like many of my "PROJECTS" :-) They are not as pricey as the Winchester. Mine is about 90 yrs old, and IF I FIND all the parts :-) I will be putting it back together to shoot. Not sure if I am going to restore, or leave it original. I think the barrel may be shot out, so...considering having a custom made to fit. Same dimensions and outline..pricey, but....may be worth it.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    thanks for all the helpful input and suggestions everyone!

So we need to find the most accurate pump .22lr in the world so you can take the bragging rights. I don't even know where to start on that request.

I can tell you where to start if it helps. I am a guest of my step father at this camp for six years now and can never be an "official" member bc I'm not a PA resident or direct blood relative. I completely get it and welcome the invite every year. It's great bonding time for this 42yr old and a stepfather and I've met new life long friends that are second and third generation members of this camp. To me buying a vintage 22lr rifle so I can feel as close to a real part of this group as possible is worth any amount of money. I enjoy their company, cherish the relationships I've made, and look forward to talking smack with them and hopefully taking home the trophy one year that was named in honor of the fella that started the competition and passed away just a few months ago. I still miss him and enjoy hanging out with his son.

I hope this helped you find a starting point I'm not a guy that flaunts anything and if I spend money on something it is for a legitimate purpose in the only mind that counts, mine. Not trying to be a D but your post rubbed me the wrong way I guess. If you want to throw out some helpful input I honestly look forward to it.

I asked Brennan for you, he said PSA has had some quality control issues, so it could be more of an issue, but he'd clean it good and try running it wet with good ammo.

And he laughed and said good luck finding a pump .22 for a reasonable price.

Tell Fey I said Hi :D

I appreciate the input and miss you guys. The upper had forty care free brass rounds run thru it by me before selling and it ran flawlessly and I cleaned it down after. Not sure if that info helps. Also, he had another AR (delton I think) that he's run a ton of steel thru without cleaning it and it jammed in the exact same way as the like new upper I sold him. Both were when he shot the tulammo crap. Coincidence?

Tell Brennan I said hey and stay in touch

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I wouldn't part with my Rem 121 Fieldmaster. It has the vintage look and just like the new 10/22's it's a take down model! Back in the day when you had a choice of purchasing short, long and long rifle you could stuff more shorts in the lr's and the effect on tin cans was the same.
    I am no home or I would take a pic.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I can tell you where to start if it helps. I am a guest of my step father at this camp for six years now and can never be an "official" member bc I'm not a PA resident or direct blood relative. I completely get it and welcome the invite every year. It's great bonding time for this 42yr old and a stepfather and I've met new life long friends that are second and third generation members of this camp. To me buying a vintage 22lr rifle so I can feel as close to a real part of this group as possible is worth any amount of money. I enjoy their company, cherish the relationships I've made, and look forward to talking smack with them and hopefully taking home the trophy one year that was named in honor of the fella that started the competition and passed away just a few months ago. I still miss him and enjoy hanging out with his son.

This sounds so familiar to me. I have hunted with the same group of guys up in PA for years and they became like a special group of friends to me. We too, lost one several years back, and things were different. Just 3 months ago, we lost another one.

So go out there and get yourself a pump gun! I have seen many of them at gun shops on consignment, but didn't bother to check the prices.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    This sounds so familiar to me. I have hunted with the same group of guys up in PA for years and they became like a special group of friends to me. We too, lost one several years back, and things were different. Just 3 months ago, we lost another one.

So go out there and get yourself a pump gun! I have seen many of them at gun shops on consignment, but didn't bother to check the prices.

I hear ya. I'm going to keep my eyes open for sure. Sorry for the loss of your friends.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Ended up finding a mds member selling a norinco em321 cheap so I went for it. Thanks again JB and I'm looking forward to taking my cheap Plinker up to PA to kick some butt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom