• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've posted this before but this is a good excuse to post it again. Full magazine of 7 rounds. Not bad for a 40+ year old Marlin-Glenfield model 25, the first firearm I ever bought. From Murphy's mart, IIRC probably well under $75.

Attachments

• Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 356

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    OP, good shooting! You have to give some credit to the trigger nut too.

Oh, almost forgot. Why would you use a chrome lined barrel as your accuracy barrel. Seems bassackwards to me.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    OP, good shooting! You have to give some credit to the trigger nut too.

Oh, almost forgot. Why would you use a chrome lined barrel as your accuracy barrel. Seems bassackwards to me.

oh, the chrome lined barrel is not an accuracy build, although it probably should have been.

I got a good deal on it, and since we can only have HBARs now I built it out on a new receiver. It shoots pretty good, better than average for an AR I'd say, but frankly I should have just shelled out the extra cash and got what I really wanted, which was an HBAR melonited 5r rifled 18 incher- as time goes on I am really just not seeing the point of chrome any more.

Well done modern nitriding blows chrome away in accuracy and in longevity from what I've seen, as well as with regard to corrosion protection. The only place it suffers is that it is EVER so slightly harder to clean, but even that ends up being a wash because for some reason copper WILL NOT STICK to the barrel- I don't know why.

Anyways, I can always put together another upper with the barrel I want, I just really wish I had just waited an extra week and gotten what I really wanted.

But yeah, I didn't build out the HBAR with the intent of making accuracy the prime requisite. Oh well

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    The 5r bhw barrels were on the top of my list too. I did the same thing and just got a jse because it was cheap and quick. I must say though, it out performs it's cost.

A lot of good shooting in the pics on this thread. Those results are not all gun.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the JSE I had a coupon and was trying to build the lightest rifle I could.

I can't believe how nice this upper is. I got it without bolt carrier and charging handle since Ares Armor was selling excellent quality nitrided bolt carrier groups for less than the bolt carrier they were including with the upper- that was also a great buy.

The gun has always been a much better shooter than it's price would indicate. I think I have maybe 480 bucks in this rifle not counting the fire control group I scavenged out of another build I was not happy with. Since taking the slack out between the upper and lower with the gorilla tape it is INCREDIBLE how accurate this rifle is.

People keep telling me that JSE is crap based on the stainless barrels they sub contracted during the panic that were finished really poorly- apparently they just put dowels into the bore on both ends when they bead blasted it, leaving the feed ramps like sand paper and the inside of the locking lugs rough. The way I looked at it, for the small price of the upper even if there were problems with it I would have a nitrided 4150CMV barrel. They said when I called them that the barrels in the budget line are the same ones they use in their 'top tier rifles'

I took that to mean their top tier rifles were crap.

Turns out to be vice versa.

can't wait to do a build with the 5r though, I'm seeing great things in AR-10s

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The best group I ever saw was when I was a kid shooting at Powder Burners Rifle and Pistol Club when I witnessed Arthur Cook former Olympic Gold Medalist shoot an entire box of 50 .22 Long Rifle through a single hole the size of your fingernail. It was at 50 feet from the prone position on the indoor range and he did it to settle an argument over weather that ammo was throwing flyers.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The best group I ever saw was when I was a kid shooting at Powder Burners Rifle and Pistol Club when I witnessed Arthur Cook former Olympic Gold Medalist shoot an entire box of 50 .22 Long Rifle through a single hole the size of your fingernail. It was at 50 feet from the prone position on the indoor range and he did it to settle an argument over weather that ammo was throwing flyers.

that's hilarious

"Dale, you suck"
    "Naw, the ammo's throwin flyers"
    "No Dale, you just suck"
    "Nah, I'm TELLIN YOU that CCI is ********"
    "Hold my hat"
    *pew-pew-pew-pew*

*slow clap*

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    While the grouping is just flat out impressive, it's the fact that you went out shooting yesterday in this fridge weather that I bow to you. YOU, the MAN!!! I am humbled

It was so damned cold.

I thought I was smart by making three tigger headbands into a makeshift balaclava.

And yet when I got into the car and blew my nose there were ****ING ICE CRYSTALS IN MY SNOT

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    There are some skilled shooters on this board! I like seeing targets with one little hole in it. Here's my current favorite 5 round group of mine. This was shots 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 through a brand new rifle.

2986DADD-5AB0-47E0-B77F-6CA37DFF5E75_zpszxlwrtch.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've posted this before but this is a good excuse to post it again. Full magazine of 7 rounds. Not bad for a 40+ year old Marlin-Glenfield model 25, the first firearm I ever bought. From Murphy's mart, IIRC probably well under $75.

Now there's a grin! ;) Nice group!

The 25 was my very first rifle also. Same timeframe. Still have it!

Enjoy!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There are some skilled shooters on this board! I like seeing targets with one little hole in it. Here's my current favorite 5 round group of mine. This was shots 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 through a brand new rifle.

2986DADD-5AB0-47E0-B77F-6CA37DFF5E75_zpszxlwrtch.jpg

Every time I see that group, it reminds me that I need more range time.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Every time I see that group, it reminds me that I need more range time.

We all need more range time, and not doing the same successful thing over and over. We need to be out there getting out of our comfort zones by trying different positions, switching to our off hands, varying distances, dot drills, standing, timed, moving, etc.

For the long range precision guys on here take a look into the Precision Rifle Series (PRS). Someone in this thread mentioned being bored, go sign up for this- http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/peacemaker-s-prs-points-match.html

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Agreed, getting out of the comfort zone is also refreshing.

I haven't even zeroed the .260 since replacing the broken scope. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom