• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Natskee

Mar 20, 2012
    Prince Frederick
    So due to my lack of insight on the way the process of purchasing a weapon. I wanted to be pissed off about the process of getting a weapon. But when I look at it I can't be pissed at anyone but myself for not being informed. So to my knowledge I thought the process to purchase is.
    1. Figure out what I want ( hit the shop, FF a few weapons)
    2. Purchase a weapon (I figured this was the easiest part... or course it wasn't) While I knew that you would have to get checked out before purchasing a weapon. I figured that was all done when they took my license info while I was purchasing the weapon. What I didn't know is that nothing happens until you show them your DD214 or the MD safety certificate.

So with that said, here I go waiting on my call to pick up treat. Since they told me it would take 10 days I thought nothing of it. Now on day 15 I call them and they expained it all to me what the process is. Now with that said, I am fully informed.

So the only thing I am wondering now is that if I decided to purchase a weapon for my wife or and extra for myself. Do I still need to wait another 30 days before each purchase?!?! Would I need to do this whole process again?

Just venting,
    Nate

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    HAHAHA...welcome to MD.

You'll have to wait 30 days between purchases of regulated firearms unless you are a designated collector.

My last wait was 20+ days.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    So due to my lack of insight on the way the process of purchasing a weapon. I wanted to be pissed off about the process of getting a weapon. But when I look at it I can't be pissed at anyone but myself for not being informed. So to my knowledge I thought the process to purchase is.
    1. Figure out what I want ( hit the shop, FF a few weapons)
    2. Purchase a weapon (I figured this was the easiest part... or course it wasn't) While I knew that you would have to get checked out before purchasing a weapon. I figured that was all done when they took my license info while I was purchasing the weapon. What I didn't know is that nothing happens until you show them your DD214 or the MD safety certificate.

So with that said, here I go waiting on my call to pick up treat. Since they told me it would take 10 days I thought nothing of it. Now on day 15 I call them and they expained it all to me what the process is. Now with that said, I am fully informed.

So the only thing I am wondering now is that if I decided to purchase a weapon for my wife or and extra for myself. Do I still need to wait another 30 days before each purchase?!?! Would I need to do this whole process again?

Just venting,
    Nate

15 days?? Something is not right. I have never had to wait more than 8days. I usually give them a call before I head to the shop, and they "good to go."

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Getting a "Not Disapproved" response from MDSP doesn't normally take longer than seven days. Often it's three to five days, but you have to wait the full seven. In most cases where it takes longer than seven days, especially a lot longer, it's because the FFL is foot dragging, sometimes holding onto applications to send in a bunch at once. You might need a different FFL for your next purchase.

Natskee

Mar 20, 2012
    Prince Frederick
    I some how messed up the process of the purchase since I didn't show them my DD214 or the MD safety cert at the time of purchase. So with that said they didn't do the back ground check and today I will be stopping by to show them my cert. I will figure this out one way or another.

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville

Just venting,
    Nate

If your wife wants a regulated firearm SHE should be filing out the forms.

And that will not get in the way of YOUR next purchase.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Are you saying you paid for the gun, filled out the state and federal paperwork, waited the seven days, but the FFL never asked you for your MD safety certificate number at the time of purchase? The FFL only told you when you called back after waiting seven days? If so, that's incompetent and unacceptable on the FFL's part and you REALLY need to shop elsewhere. Hopefully I misunderstand what you wrote.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I hope you aren't buying from Fred's, although it sounds like it. If you are, you definitely need to find a new dealer.

I've bought guns several places in this backward liberal state and never given a DD214 or mil ID. I don't recall if there is a question about that on the MD paperwork or not, although I guess there might be a place for that online test thing. I've never used that.

There's no law saying you need to let them copy your license, or give them your SSN, and I wouldn't give them a DD214 or let them copy a mil ID, but that's up to you.

Getting a "Not Disapproved" response from MDSP doesn't normally take longer than seven days. Often it's three to five days, but you have to wait the full seven. In most cases where it takes longer than seven days, especially a lot longer, it's because the FFL is foot dragging, sometimes holding onto applications to send in a bunch at once. You might need a different FFL for your next purchase.

Are you saying you paid for the gun, filled out the state and federal paperwork, waited the seven days, but the FFL never asked you for your MD safety certificate number at the time of purchase? The FFL only told you when you called back after waiting seven days? If so, that's incompetent and unacceptable on the FFL's part and you REALLY need to shop elsewhere. Hopefully I misunderstand what you wrote.

+1 sounds like you need a new FFL ASAP

If your wife wants a regulated firearm SHE should be filing out the forms.

And that will not get in the way of YOUR next purchase.

+1 on this as well have her take the MD online safety course if needed to be able to buy herself a weapon

I hope you aren't buying from Fred's, although it sounds like it. If you are, you definitely need to find a new dealer.

I've bought guns several places in this backward liberal state and never given a DD214 or mil ID. I don't recall if there is a question about that on the MD paperwork or not, although I guess there might be a place for that online test thing. I've never used that.

There's no law saying you need to let them copy your license, or give them your SSN, and I wouldn't give them a DD214 or let them copy a mil ID, but that's up to you.

There is a spot on the very top of one of the MD forms I forget witch one asking if you have and MD handgun permit, DD214/Military, safety course ect ect

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

The DD214 can be used in place of that stupid online "safety course"

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    If you are current or former mil, you don't need to do the online test, but you also don't need to show a DD214. I've never even heard of that one, but I do know there are places that want to copy your driver's license, another thing that is not required by law, so I'm not surprised they would ask for DD214's as well. The SSN box is on the state form, but you also don't need to fill that out. If your FFL insists on any of that stuff, you can tell them to go to hell and then find a better FFL.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    And don't allow them to copy either your mil ID or DD-214. That will get you in hot water. DOD just recently came out with a reminder that copying Gov't ID's is illegal. I can't say for sure if it covers DD-214's but there is too much personal information on there for me to let anyone copy mine.

Natskee

Mar 20, 2012
    Prince Frederick

I put a down payment for the weapon, and they took info from my drivers license. I didn't know about any paperwork that was being filled out. I figured they was doing the check when they was taking all my info. When I came back with the safety cert I filled it out.

Yes it is Freds, but I am learning as I go on.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I put a down payment for the weapon, and they took info from my drivers license. I didn't know about any paperwork that was being filled out. I figured they was doing the check when they was taking all my info. When I came back with the safety cert I filled it out.

That'll be an expensive lesson then.

FFL-wise, you can do much better than Fred's, still going to make a drive (since there isn't sh@t in Calvert Co.) - but it'll be less $ than Fred's.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

hold a sec.. they fill out the forms for you? you just gave your dl??

wow.

what firearm are you buying?? (please dont tell me a shotgun or a bolt rifle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom