• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I am just about finished with my 18" SPR build and want to choose a suppressor for it. I have narrowed my choices down to the Surefire SOCOM 556 RC and the SilencerCo Saker 5.56. Anybody have any experience with these and what would you recommend? Im looking for minimal POI shift.

Thanks

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I like the mounting system on the 556 SOCOM a little more. We have the Saker 556 w/ Trifecta MAAD Mount for $785 and 556 SOCOM-RC in FDE in stock for $1299 if you want to compare them side by side.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How is the POI shift?

shift was minute generally speaking, I saw a 1/2'' or less @ 50 yds. as far as suppression goes, it's my first can so take it for what its worth; .223s through a 16'' bbl sound about the same as .22 lr through a .22 cal. rifle or maybe a tinge louder.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I went with the Surefire. It suppresses better than I expected. The shift didn't seem noticeable but truth be told, I've only fired 1 round without the can. I wanted to see what a 11.5 barrel sounded like with a surefire muzzle brake. I wasn't interested in hearing what a second shot sounded like.

You do need to get to the rear of the surefire to remove it so you can't sink it under the hand guard. I think a rifle can gets too hot to sink under a hand guard though.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with the Saker. If it was out when I bought the socom I'm not sure which way I would have gone.

Edited to add, going from suppressed to not suppressed means one way or the other you're gas system won't be tuned perfectly. The surefire was designed for less back pressure so it may be a little better than most but I tuned my gas block for supressed and don't want to shoot it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    You're kind of splitting hairs on this one. Both have good sound suppression and minimal POI shift... and both are expensive. Since I'm a SilencerCo fan boy I would go with the Saker. SilencerCo's customer service is second to none! If there's a problem they'll pay for shipping both ways. As they say they'll even fix "stupid"... once for free. The Saker also has a crap ton of mounting options.

All that being said, every time I'm out in the field, I always see our boys rock'n Surefire SOCOM's.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And to be clear on choices at engage. They had a variety of 5.56 suppressors but, as with OP, the surefire and saker were MY choices to make.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So it seems like:

Surefire SOCOM:
    - Less gassy
    - Less POI shift
    - 1oz lighter than the Saker
    - Better mounting system
    - 1/2" shorter than the Saker

Silencerco Saker:
    - 8 db quieter than the SOCOM
    - More mounting options
    - Repeatable POI shift
    - Less expensive

The difficult part is deciding which advantages are most important....

Is an 8db sound reduction significant on a rifle suppressor?
    Is the Saker significantly gassier than the SOCOM?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So it seems like:

not an expert by any means but, these will probably very depending on your set up.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    So it seems like:

Surefire SOCOM:
    - Less gassy
    - Less POI shift
    - 1oz lighter than the Saker
    - Better mounting system
    - 1/2" shorter than the Saker

Silencerco Saker:
    - 8 db quieter than the SOCOM
    - More mounting options
    - Repeatable POI shift
    - Less expensive

Only one way to find out. Get both and get back to us with the results :D

I still vote for the saker.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The Socom offers a MG suppressor: http://www.surefire.com/tactical-eq...ppressors/556-mm-223-caliber/socom556-mg.html

Socom MG
    Length 7.0 inches
    Weight 23.2 ounces
    Diameter 1.5 inches

Saker
    WEIGHT:18.0 OZ
    DIAMETER:1.5”
    LENGTH:6.76”

The Saker is MG rated. So to me, I am still seeing the Saker at least on paper as slightly edging it out. Granted you might all not need FA rated but I don't know why anyone would buy one that was not. You never know what the future holds and what a buddy will buy.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The Socom offers a MG suppressor: http://www.surefire.com/tactical-eq...ppressors/556-mm-223-caliber/socom556-mg.html

Socom MG
    Length 7.0 inches
    Weight 23.2 ounces
    Diameter 1.5 inches

Saker
    WEIGHT:18.0 OZ
    DIAMETER:1.5”
    LENGTH:6.76”

The Saker is MG rated. So to me, I am still seeing the Saker at least on paper as slightly edging it out. Granted you might all not need FA rated but I don't know why anyone would buy one that was not. You never know what the future holds and what a buddy will buy.

I'm pretty sure the Socom RC is full auto rated. The Socom MG is designed for belt fed military use like the M249.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    Not to thread jack or anything, but have they come out with a Saker mount that will work with the Soccom brake? I have a 14.5" barrel with a pinned/welded SF brake, and would like to go with the Saker to save a few coins...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Not to thread jack or anything, but have they come out with a Saker mount that will work with the Soccom brake? I have a 14.5" barrel with a pinned/welded SF brake, and would like to go with the Saker to save a few coins...

Not that I know of. I have only seen the two different Trifecta mounts, Y-Mount (for YHM mounts), direct thread and 51T mount. You could always remove the SOCOM brake and have a Trifecta pinned/welded in its place.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm pretty sure the Socom RC is full auto rated. The Socom MG is designed for belt fed military use like the M249.

Yeah is says the RC may be used with FA. I don't know if thats FA rated or meaning it will not break if you do it a little. It looks like to me that they reduced the size down. Then for the MG version, they made it the same basic size as the Saker. I don't pretend to know a lot on the subject and would love to see it explained a little more. The Saker Silenco YT video is very good. The surefire video said nothing. Maybe I will keep looking for a better Socom review.

I don't know why but I feel I am biased towards the Saker. I don't know if it was their video winning me over or what. It also seems like one is from a Flashlight company and the other from a Silencer company. That said, I think I was biased towards AAC before this and the Saker won my vote. The part on the Socom that interests me the most is the "advanced internal venting to reduce back pressure, reducing the suppressed cyclic rate and gas blowback on the operator." I will have to find out more about this. I will give the Socom a fair shake but for now it has not won me over. Some first hand experience might really help too! :)

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

I recall a rep from Silencerco (on the Silencertalk forum IIRC) saying outright that a Saker-Surefire adapter is not going to happen because there is some design variation or something of the sort.

ETA, here we go:

We do not intend to make a mount for Surefire muzzle devices because there are too many types of too variant designs for us to cover all the mounts.

khutchinson@silencerco.com

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=97989

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom