• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boscoman

Jan 4, 2010
    So can anyone tell me just what is the process here in the state for having a handgun approved for sale.
    I ask this because I have found that while I am able to purchase a Bul Cherokee in subcompact, the state does not allow the full frame to be sold here. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again this is Maryland.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    There is no cost, other than either you or the gun's maker or a FFL has to provide a copy of the gun to the Handgun Board. It is legal to bring a handgun not on the list in for that purpose. If the gun is approved, you keep it, if disapproved the State pays you for it.

Here is some info I posted elsewhere a few days ago for someone else:
    You need to contact Marlene Jenkins at mjenkins@mdsp.org (410-653-4247) for the forms and when the next Handgun Board meeting is. Not sure what her schedule is this time of year. She is the Administrator, Maryland Handgun Roster Board.

You may play phone tag with Marlene but she will call you back if you leave her a message. Someone posted the forms here but I don't remember where.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And, note, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that your gun will be rejected. They were accepting those cut-down .223 pistols, and if they'll accept those, they'll take anything.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would love to see this board go away. Today, wouldn't be too soon.

Jim Smith

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    And, note, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that your gun will be rejected. They were accepting those cut-down .223 pistols, and if they'll accept those, they'll take anything.

that's interesting.. I wonder what their criteria is.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    As someone else posted elsewhere, the main function of the board is to keep "Saturday Night Specials" out of MD. A well made gun should have no issue being approved, at least in theory.

I forget where I saw it, but some states even have rules on the melting point of the materials used for the frame. I am not talking about MA or CA or NJ even.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    As someone else posted elsewhere, the main function of the board is to keep "Saturday Night Specials" out of MD. A well made gun should have no issue being approved, at least in theory.

I forget where I saw it, but some states even have rules on the melting point of the materials used for the frame. I am not talking about MA or CA or NJ even.

But didn't they reject the semi-auto UZI?

Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    When was this? Might have been years ago.

Recently the Board approved the SIG 5.56 pistol which I would say collectively floored most of us.

I thought this was one of the assault pistols llisted in the 1986 ban. If you registered the firearm, you could keep it. But you couldn't buy one, sell one, trade one, etc.

Jim Smith

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I wasn't in this state in '86. I do not know how they decided that group of pistols are evil and needed banning, considering that you can get 33 round mags for a Glock and blast away. The SA XDm uses 19 round mags and a good shooter should be able reload in a mere second or two.

The whole idea is stupid.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I wasn't in this state in '86. I do not know how they decided that group of pistols are evil and needed banning, considering that you can get 33 round mags for a Glock and blast away. The SA XDm uses 19 round mags and a good shooter should be able reload in a mere second or two.

The whole idea is stupid.

What part of gun control isn't?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yes. The UZI pistol is listed as an "assault pistol" and is banned in MD, but you can get a 16" Mini or UZI carbine.

You can also get the Machine Gun and SBR versions as well.

I would probably go class III if I wanted an Uzi.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom