• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Hogan spoke about making changes to the district voting boundaries. The anti-gun extremists who are currently in office have been kept there, at least in part, by the way district lines are drawn. If we want these individuals out of office, I suggest we make it a priority to undo the gerrymandering that has taken place in the past.

A mention about Hogan on the gerrymandering topic is here:
    http://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/our_say/ph-ac-ce-our-say-0208-20150208,0,4908126.story

Current district lines: (source - http://planning.maryland.gov/Redistricting/2010/legiDist.shtml)

Attachments

• MDgerrymanderMap2012.jpg
      MDgerrymanderMap2012.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 1,704

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yes, I too hope for change. The election reform message is one that will appeal to more than just the 2A-friendly crowd. I hope it gets some traction.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Not getting my hopes up. Doesn't something to undo the gerrymandering have to go through the MGA?

I live in D14. Horribly gerrymandered. The Briggs Chaney/White Oak pocket is the deciding factor when it comes to votes, and the freaking district basically spans 1/3 of MoCo. They knew all those people in Damascus/Laytonsville/Burtonsville might vote R, so they said F U, and made it one giant district.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    No idea how he intends to do beyond putting a committee together since the Legislature will just laugh in his face and ignore any recommendations that the committee makes. The Dems might even manage to spin it into Hogan trying to gerrymander the Republicans into power.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think it's hillarious how the Dems changed the rules of the game in their favor and still lost. We picked up several seats in the general assembly plus the Governorship.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Not getting my hopes up. Doesn't something to undo the gerrymandering have to go through the MGA?

I live in D14. Horribly gerrymandered. The Briggs Chaney/White Oak pocket is the deciding factor when it comes to votes, and the freaking district basically spans 1/3 of MoCo. They knew all those people in Damascus/Laytonsville/Burtonsville might vote R, so they said F U, and made it one giant district.

No idea how he intends to do beyond putting a committee together since the Legislature will just laugh in his face and ignore any recommendations that the committee makes. The Dems might even manage to spin it into Hogan trying to gerrymander the Republicans into power.

Rumor has it they tried to use the gerrymandering against Democrats, like Vallario and Busch. I am not giving up hope.
    As for the spin/propaganda - let them try. They got into power using the tactics, so any spin they attempt will hopefully backfire.

There are several bills in session dealing with the redistricting.

Which ones? Have links?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Both the dems and reps have used gerrymandering in the past. It's wrong to manipulate election results, this is another reason I'm a true independent. But I'm a registered democrat because if we all did that, it would make gerrymandering by either party almost impossible.

Our founding fathers feared that we end up with a two party only system. That pretty much happened long ago. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1843593

I will give Larry Hogan the benefit of doubt, and presume his intentions are to try to fix the ridiculously gerrymandered system we have now. There's a good chance they might use this program to more honestly create better voting districts: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...mmer-solved-gerrymandering-in-his-spare-time/

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Thinking maybe show them how it was used against Democrats as well. How exactly to present it, I am not sure...

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    The only way to fix this problem is to hand over the redrawing of district lines to a NON-PARTISAN entity. Gerrymandering is a problem no matter which party is in control - the Republicans do it when they are in power, and the Democrats do it when they are. You can't bitch about just because your party isn't the one in power.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Gerrymandering usually favors republicans. Have you seen the districts for Austin Texas? Only liberal area in TX and split up 10 different ways.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Which ones? Have links?

Top...off the top of my notes:

SB99

HB267

SB448

I can put the links up tomorrow.

Pretty sure there was more, but I'll have to dig. Trying to even browse every bill has my brain fried. My notes are even not making sense anymore.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Gerrymandering usually favors republicans. Have you seen the districts for Austin Texas? Only liberal area in TX and split up 10 different ways.

This is a horribly false statement. Yes Texas is the opposite of MD and CA. However most districts throughout the nation favor democrats.

Separate point is that is not possible to redistrict until 2020 without a court order. Redistricting occurs with the census every 10 years. For the districts to be redrawn under Hogan he will need to win another term. Just keep that in mind for everyone hoping to see more conservative legislators who would be willing to roll back SB281.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Although it goes both ways, just seeing how long it's been since democrats controlled the house makes me think republicans have the advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom