• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If I wanted to get a stripped 1911 frame, would I need to have an HQL? I'm rather curious about this, because a stripped AR lower can be built into a pistol, but it does not require an HQL.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Wondering out loud what the chances are they come to the door one evening to see if it's assembled.

I think, technically, the frame should be cash and carry. MSP disagrees. There is no law against you assembling a handgun, I there were, anyone that did a form one and made an SBR would be breaking the law.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Well, that kills my idea to build a 1911 the way I want it. Crap..

Get an old frame and regardless if a new one would require a HQL the old one would be C&R :) Well, at least until you build it using whatever.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I was told that the frame had to be on the handgun roster to be approved. Not sure why, as the AR frames weren't on the roster and you can build a 1911 frame in to a rifle.

new day, new rules...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    77R no HQL is what I'd do, but no guarantees MSP approves it (we have done glock frames w/ out HQL).

I was pondering the idea of building a 1911 with a tac rail on it, as long as the HQL wasn't needed. The idea came to me as I was perusing the Brownell's 1911 catalog. Specifically the frame below.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...d38842.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AXX_45 Auto (ACP)

If I were to go this route, would you guys be willing to order it for me, due to the FFL requirement?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A 1911 frame is a handgun in the eyes of MSP and the feds since it is manufactured as a handgun frame. HQL is required in MD. it is also correct themanufacturer must be on the roster. At one time the only stipulation was the frame couldn't have a breechface and/or firing pin.

A bare or even partially assembled frame is not C&R, regardless of year of manufacture. The whole pistol with all original major parts will qualify it as C&R. The BATFE sent out a letter to this effect.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A 1911 frame is a handgun in the eyes of MSP and the feds since it is manufactured as a handgun frame. HQL is required in MD. it is also correct themanufacturer must be on the roster. At one time the only stipulation was the frame couldn't have a breechface and/or firing pin.

A bare or even partially assembled frame is not C&R, regardless of year of manufacture. The whole pistol with all original major parts will qualify it as C&R. The BATFE sent out a letter to this effect.

Damn it! I hate this god forsaken state. Well there goes that idea. Thanks a lot MD.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Bummer, I know. I don't understand differentiating frames by manufacturer.

If you want to build something very specific it is worth it. There are a couple of 'short block' kits offered - fitted frame, slide and barrel. Several makers offering frames and slides will fit for a fee. You can also start with a good base gun like a Springer and go from there, learning the particulars of the 1911. You seem to capable so you will choose a route you are comfortable with.

If it is particular pattern you want there is probably already one offered commercially.

The nice thing about 'rolling your own', liken to building an AR, is learning what you really prefer without spending a ton of money. This way you just spend half a ton.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    77R no HQL is what I'd do, but no guarantees MSP approves it (we have done glock frames w/ out HQL).

Nate is the man!

This is how the transfer should occur since a receiver is just a receiver. It is not a handgun until it is assembled, thus no HQL should be required to purchase it. There are different types of firearms that can be build utilizing a handgun receiver... Not just handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom