• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Need to re-key a number of locks on the house with the end goal being one key to open all.

Odenton/GB area.

Thanks.

BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    home depot has lock sets keyed alike, theres a number on bubble pack you can match up with others in box.
    I just did 2 doors deadbolt and all are keyed the same.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I would pull all the loks and take them to a locksmith. Thats pretty easy to do. I had moy home rekeyed using 1 key. I need to do the same for my new home in WV.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    home depot has lock sets keyed alike, theres a number on bubble pack you can match up with others in box.
    I just did 2 doors deadbolt and all are keyed the same.

Don't need new lock sets nor do they carry what is needed.

what the guy above said.

Also at HD, and many other places:

http://www.kwikset.com/SmartSecurity/Re-Key-Technology.aspx

do you own re-key and it is not very expensive. Lock Smiths charge an arm and leg, especially if they are coming out to your house to do the work, not saying they are not necessary, but for something this simple your options provided at Home Depot might be a cheaper and more simplistic path.

Seems that "smart key" requires a "smart key" compatible lock to start with. Just looking to get the tumblers re pinned.

I would pull all the loks and take them to a locksmith. Thats pretty easy to do. I had mo home rekeyed. I need to do the same for my new home in WV.

This may be an option if I can not strike a deal with a locksmith here.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I don't know if they service that area, but I've always used Easter's Lock & Key located on Joppa Road in Towson. I brought them in as a vendor where I work.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Maryland Locksmith on Aquahart Road just east of Crain Highway in Glen Burnie. They came to the house, rekeyed two pass sets and two deadbolts with one key, with additional keys. IIRC $250 +/-

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I had all my locks keyed to one key when I bought my house. Took them to my local Ace and they did them for $10/per lock.

My local Ace Hardware is pretty expensive for just about everything else, but they are convenient for when you need that ONE thing. Their key and lock services though, are one of the best values around me.

I love the single key entry. I can also use it at my parent's house and sister's house back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RileysDad

Dec 10, 2013
    Bethesda
    Avoid any Smart Key type of locks like the plague, especially Kwikset. They are horrible and the majority have some sort of issue when you try to rekey them. You're better off with your plan of keeping the old locks and rekeying them. I'd offer to do it but I dumped my rekey kit earlier this year and haven't bothered to sort all the pins out yet.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I went a whole other direction. I don't need any keys at all to get into my house. I can change the combinations any time I want. I went this route years ago because my kids and keys proved to be incompatible. Since I got a car last January that doesn't need a key, I have been in keyless heaven.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thanks for all the leads.

Safecracker took care of me. He did a great job and gave me a good price at the same time. It is always nice to meet fellow MDShooter members and to let the gun community network help each other out.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I rekeyed all my locks four total that the owners of the house seemed to lose for 80 bucks. They were all high quality locks and they needs to pick them and it cost me extra. (each lock would have cost me about 39 bucks each. My favorite class at the fire academy was breaching. Most of the lock I could breach in 10 seconds with a K tool. Metal doors and a frame took about 30 seconds put in place and spread the door with a hydraulic cylinder. I would not buy a $100 lock.

Last edited:

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Without breaching any forum rules: Don't get SmartKey locks... They're really easy to force open, and you'll never know anyone did it until it comes time to re-key and it doesn't work right.

There are a couple locksmiths who are members here. safetech and SafeCracker come to mind immediately, both good guys and very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom